Player versus Player
Player versus Player (PvP) is a game mode where a player participates in competitive gaming against other players, as opposed to co-operative Player versus Environment.
All PvP game modes mostly follow the same established game mechanics, with the exception of certain individual traits and skills which might be adjusted for PvP to ensure game balance. One notable mechanic, available only in PvP modes and certain PvE mobs, is finishing of downed players, which quickly sends them to defeated state.
The following PvP modes are available in Guild Wars 2:
- Structured PvP – players have access to top level equipment and all of their available skills and traits.
- World versus World – players are adjusted to equivalent of maximum level, using their own equipment and unlocked skills and traits in great battles between hundreds of players in a separated open world.
- Activities – players have access to set build of skills and abilities.
- Costume Brawl – a festive competition where players use tonics to gain the appearance and abilities of another creature or wear town clothing with Costume Brawl abilities to fight other Costume Brawlers.
- Crab Toss – a Southsun Cove free-for-all game where the winner is the player who can hold the crab the longest.
- Keg Brawl – a norn sport in their settlement of Hoelbrak which involves kegs of ale and lots of brawling, most similar to basketball.
- Although there aren't 2v2 and 3v3 competitive arenas in the game, Justin O'Dell stated they have most of the tech for implementing them, but nothing is currently planned.
- According to The Making of Guild Wars 2 book, one in four ArenaNet studio members consider themselves to be hardcore PvP players.