Legate Minister Lord Caudecus Beetlestone the Wise is the charismatic and cunning Legate Minister of the Krytan Ministry. As Legate Minister, he is responsible for overseeing the functions of the Ministry, as well as being in direct command of the Commander of the Ministry Guard. He is a veteran of the War of Ascalon Independence, having served as a General in the war, Caudecus is an opponent of the current truce with the charr. With his experience and popularity, Caudecus has emerged as a serious political rival to Queen Jennah, whose egalitarian rule has eroded her support with the nobility, and whose failure to hold back the centaurs and bandits plaguing Kryta has caused some of the common folk to begin to doubt her ability to defend her nation.
In addition to his activities in Divinity's Reach, Caudecus is credited with the expansion of Beetletun, home to both his own mansion and a statue of himself. His carnivals have allowed him to amass a fortune which allows him to retain the services of many Ministry Guards and Seraph — this, he claims, is the reason why the bandits and centaurs do not attack Beetletun, and allow his shire to be relatively prosperous. His wife died several years ago, reportedly killed by bandits, leaving his daughter Demmi Beetlestone as his only family.
In 1325 AE, Caudecus became suspected of orchestrating various bandit operations, including the capture of the Falcon Company and framing Minister Arton for their supposed deaths, as well as being behind Minister Zamon's dealings with the bandits. However, no solid proof was provided, preventing prosecution. Later, his daughter defected to the Order of Whispers, claiming to have evidence of shady dealings by her father. She was aided by Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw. Caudecus dispatched Ministry Commander Landon to recover her, but was unsuccessful.
Around this time, he hosted a party at his estate, Beetlestone Manor, to celebrate the human-charr détente. There, he promised to unveil a new creation by Uzolan the Artist, his personal inventor, who turned out to be behind a Separatist plot by Captain Monique DeLana to kill the Queen. Fortunately, the soon-to-be Pact Commander, Logan Thackeray, and Zojja were able to stop the plot before either the Queen or the Minister could come to harm. Following this, at the Queen's insistence, the Minister was taken back to the Royal Palace, where he remained, officially for his safety, as his manor is investigated for further Separatist and bandit activities.
Caudecus fled from the Royal Palace in 1329 AE, prompting the Shining Blade officer Canach, the Pact Commander, and members of the Dragon's Watch guild to track him down and bring him back by any means necessary. When found in Bloodstone Fen experimenting on Bloodstone shards, Caudecus revealed himself as the current Confessor of the White Mantle and announced his plan to take over the Krytan throne from Queen Jennah by force. However, the sudden arrival of Lazarus, the last mursaat whom some members of the White Mantle had revived behind Caudecus's back, led to the White Mantle splintering into two factions when Caudecus refused to submit to Lazarus, who in turn branded Caudecus as a heretic. Before he could be killed, Caudecus fled once more with the assistance of his mesmer underling, Lady Valette Wi, to continue his schemes elsewhere.
After escaping, Caudecus gathered his resources, sent letters to the White Mantle in hopes of preventing them from joining Lazarus' schism while proclaiming the mursaat a "false god", and led a siege on Divinity's Reach from Lake Doric. The siege was quickly turned back by the Seraph, bolstered by the Sentinels, due to his White Mantle's weakened state by defectors, and he was ultimately forced to take shelter as he sought out to unleash a "contingency plan" in his desperation. As he did so, Canach and a group of Shining Blade infiltrated the manor, but were all killed or captured. Following the loss of contact, the Pact Commander, Demmi, and Countess Anise infiltrated the manor from the Hidden Falls Dock connecting to Lake Doric to bring down the traitorous minister for good.
Discarded letters found while navigating through the manor revealed that Caudecus was not only behind the fall of Falcon Company and Minister Zamon, but also ordered Commander Serentine to free captured bandits, had Captain Tervelan butcher Ulgoth the Mighty's family to further spur the Centaur War, hired Separatists as his carnival workers and spurred the Ringmaster and Captain DeLana's attacks, and orchestrated the death of Confessor Esthel, his predecessor, through feeding the mysterious E information on the White Mantle.
When Caudecus was finally found in the Grand Salon in his manor, he had begun to go crazed from consuming large amounts of Bloodstone. During the fight, Caudecus admitted to having his wife murdered, fatally shot Demmi, and retreated to a lower dungeon decorated with his own face across the walls, where he grew to become an unrecognizable version of himself, partially becoming a bloodstone abomination. Here, in the depths of his manor, Caudecus was finally killed.
Further investigation of his manor after his death revealed that Caudecus obtained an artifact from Justiciar Bauer that is claimed to hold the fifth and final aspect of Lazarus, and his journal claims that without such the ritual to revive the fallen mursaat should have failed.
- Chapter 1: Krytan Politics
- Chapter 2: Shadows of the Past
- Episode 1: Out of the Shadows
- Episode 4: The Head of the Snake
- Bloodstone Crazed (only during Confessor's End)
- Bloodstone-Infused Shield (only during Confessor's End; second fight)
Only during Confessor's End (both fights):
Slice (thief skill) - Slice your foe.
Slash (thief skill) - Slash your foe again.
- Cripple your foe with a final strike. Crippling Strike -
- stunning them, then slash repeatedly with your sword. Pistol Whip - Pistol-whip your foe,
- vulnerable with a body shot. Body Shot - Make your foe
- Daze your foe with a head shot. Head Shot -
Only during Confessor's End (first fight only):
- Filthy Peasant! - High damage, single-attack delayed shadowstep skill that Launches foes. Enables Counter Magic special action skill to reduce damage, prevent launch, and breaks Caudecus' defiance bar.
Only during Confessor's End (second fight only):
- Make way for the confessor! - High damage delayed shadowstep skill that Launches foes and is followed by three Filthy Peasant! skills. Enables Counter Magic special action skill to reduce damage and prevent launch.
- Confessor's Rage - AoE damage attack
- condition in an area around the impact. Throw Unstable Bloodstone Fragment - Throw a shard at the target, applying a random
- Stolen skills
- <Character's race>, if you're satisfying your curiosity about our kingdom's inner workings, you should visit the Chamber of Ministers. My schedule does not accommodate trivialities.
- All right.
- If human
- Do you have a complaint? If so, I suggest you speak with one of the lower Ministers. My schedule does not accommodate trivialities.
- Right. Good-bye.
- If charr
- Ahem. I suggest you trouble someone else with your attention, charr. My schedule does not accommodate trivialities.
- I can tell when I'm not wanted.
- Caudecus Beetlestone seems to be named and modeled after ArenaNet Environment Art Lead Dave Beetlestone.
- Caduceus is the staff carried by Hermes Trismegistus in Greco-Egyptian mythology and Hermes in Greek mythology. The same staff was also borne by heralds in general, for example by Iris, the messenger of Hera.