The warband is one of the most important aspects of charr culture and it is led by the legionnaire. During their education and training in their legion's fahrar, every young charr is forced to become a member of a warband, usually adopting a surname indicating their membership. For example, they could choose the name Fierceclaw in a warband where members identify themselves with the word Fierce. The warband's name can also be shown as the suffix of the surname, for instance a member of the Strike warband can be named Swordstrike. A warband's name is chosen when its members are ready to leave the fahrar. It is also possible to find two warbands with the same name at a time, which often results in a friendly rivalry between both.
Warbands typically have five to fifteen members, but can grow up to twenty. When a warband becomes large enough, the legionnaire usually splits the warband into two separate warbands. A group of warbands is organized as a company, which is led by a centurion.
Typically, charr do not leave their warbands for another, however it is still not uncommon. This can occur due to losing a warband, becoming a gladium, and joining a new warband or can be transferred due to the legionnaire's decisions on the member being better off elsewhere. When charr change warbands, it is important for the new charr to be accepted and work with the new warband well in order to survive.
A charr's loyalty varies from individual to individual. Typically an individual's loyalty will lay with his or her warband first and the legion second, though it is expected of them by culture to hold utmost loyalty to the legion instead; it is usually only those who strictly follow regulations who hold legion loyalty over their warband, though. Because of this, if a legionnaire defects, the rest of the warband may follow out of loyalty to the warband.
The four High Legions were originally named after their respective primus warbands (Ash, Blood, Flame and Iron), however none of the current leaders display any of the primus warband names in their surnames.
 List of known charr warbands
- Burn warband: Iron Legion warband, led by Legionnaire Burnwhite, whose members designed and built the first submarine prototype, the Iron Barracuda.
- Crush warband: Fahrar warband formed by three cubs in Village of Smokestead. A level 6 dynamic event, Stay near the Crush cubs and keep the ghosts away, revolves around them. The player can also purchase Crush Warband Honorary Patch upon its successful completion.
- Dark warband: Iron legion warband stationed at Ebonshore Plant.
- Dawn warband: Warband running the cattle ranch at Dawnright Estate in Diessa Plateau.
- Death warband: Warband running Stonefall Estate.
- Kalla's Killers: Ash Legion Operations Group 98, an all-female Ash Legion warband named after Kalla Scorchrazor, also referred to as Scorch warband. They are combating the Flame Legion in northwestern Iron Marches, led by Legionnaire Vesta Scorchpath.
- Keen warband: Iron Legion warband stationed at Steeleye Span together with the Steel warband.
- Mane warband: Vallus Smokemane's warband, the player character's sire if "Honorless gladium" is chosen during the biography.
- Night warband: Iron legion warband stationed at Bloodsaw Mill that starts the event chain Capture Incendio Templum.
- Saw warband: Blood Legion warband running the Bloodsaw Mill.
- Shatter warband: Warband stationed in Brokentooth Maw, in Terra Combusta, on the edge of the Dragonbrand. Starts the event chain Defend Brokentooth Maw.
- Stone warband: Famed warband led by Rytlock Brimstone.
- Steel warband: Large Iron Legion warband stationed at Steeleye Span in Blazeridge Steppes. Kyranith Steelgrip, one of the six current Iron Legion tribunes, is a member of this warband.
- Strike warband: Warband of Castella Swordstrike, named after a previous Strike warband that was massacred by the Flame Legion.
- Quick warband: Warband helping out at Meatoberfest in the Village of Butcher's Block. One of its members initiates the dynamic event Help Karris Quickcalm hunt for wurm eggs inside Wurm's Gullet.
- Original primus warbands
- Ash warband: The primus warband the Ash Legion is named after.
- Blood warband: The primus warband the Blood Legion is named after.
- Flame warband: The primus warband the Flame Legion is named after.
- Iron warband: The primus warband the Iron Legion is named after.
- Historical warbands
- Fierce warband: Warband of Pyre Fierceshot who began the revolution to overthrow the Flame Legion.
- Fireshadows: Elite Flame Legion warband led by Frye Fireburn. Its members were assigned to assassinate King Adelbern, but after retreating to warn their imperator about the king's madness they were tied to posts on the Viewing Hill as punishment for their failure. From that spot, they witnessed the Foefire and lived to tell the tale.
- Grim warband: One of two warbands assigned to sail the Brutality, an Ash Legion naval vessel (circa 1237 AE). It was the leading Ash Legion warband on board the ship.
- Pick warband: Former warband of Rox, now deceased.
- Shroud warband: One of two warbands assigned to sail the Havoc, an experimental Iron Legion naval vessel (circa 1219 AE). Centurion Harrow Shroudweather was the captain and commanding officer of the ship.
- Soul warband: Former warband led by General Almorra Soulkeeper. Turned into branded and subsequently killed during the awakening of Kralkatorrik.
- Steam Warband: One of two warbands assigned to sail the Havoc, an experimental Iron Legion naval vessel (circa 1219 AE). Engineer Sykox Steamshroud, who would later become Cobiah Marriner's first mate, was a member of this warband.
- Zeal warband: One of two warbands assigned to sail the Brutality, an Ash Legion naval vessel (circa 1237 AE). It was the secondary warband on board the ship, composed of Blood Legion members.
 Unnamed warbands
- Player character's warband is never named and none of possible surviving companions get surnames.
- Despite being objective of a mission, Snarl Backdraft's warband is never named.