A Vision of Darkness
A Vision of Darkness
- 1325 AE
- Personal story
- The Teachings of Ventari
- The Grove
Ruins of Orr
- "Act with wisdom, but act"
- Preceded by
- Mirror, Mirror
- Followed by
- A Splinter in the Flesh
Map of A Vision of Darkness
Help Trahearne rescue Tegwen from the cursed Orrian mirror.
- Meet Trahearne at the Pale Tree in the Grove.
- Activate the mirror.
- Travel through the mirror, into Orr.
- Locate Tegwen.
- Guide Tegwen through the portal.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- Arborist Coat, Duty-Bound Duffers
- Evergreen Coat, Ragamuffin Toeshoes
- Snapdragon Coat, Homespun Espadrilles
Go to talk to the Pale Tree and Trahearne. They will open the portal in the mirror for you and Carys to travel to Desmina's Hallows in Orr. You start in the top corner of the map. At the bottom is the green oval with your objective. The obvious way to go is straight down that tunnel. As you go down the tunnel there will be various zombies to fight along the way. These are not much challenge. At the end of the tunnel in the green oval is a large group of zombies. The group includes plague bearers with their deadly explosions, and brutes with their deadly hammers. There are also pirates who have grenades and can set you on fire. You may want to try to pull out one or two zombies at a time to fight. Make sure you stay inside the mission area. The green oval goes outside the area.
After beating the zombies, you can find Tegwen hidden under some wood behind some barrels. Talk to her and she will call Carys a dummy for getting trapped in the mirror too. Then you can bravely step in and rescue everybody. Lead Tegwen and Carys back up the tunnel to where you came in. There will be large groups of spider hatchlings, but you should be able to beat them easily. Once you get back to the portal, you go back to the Pale Tree, who will give you a coat and some other stuff.
Even though the objective states that you must guide Tegwen through the portal, you must do so by returning to the portal on the main floor of the instance, thereby eliminating a series of foes that spawn on your return trip. If you choose to instead return by remaining above the path on ledges/cliffs etc. and do not eliminate the wave of foes, the cut-scene will not be triggered upon your return to the portal and you must restart the instance.
Upon arrival at the Pale Tree in the Grove:
- Carys: Tegwen! I can see her in the mirror—Tegwen, can you hear me? Hold on!
Cinematic with the Pale Tree:
- Trahearne: Valiant, you're just in time. Carys told us what happened.
- Trahearne: I've been studying the mirror, but the magic is beyond me. If we are to rescue Tegwen, we will need the Pale Tree's help.
- Carys: Please help me, Mother! Tegwen is my friend. I'm lost without her. She taught me how to be a Warden...she taught me everything.
- Carys: I know that I'm not very smart, but she's always been good to me. I can't let her be trapped forever in such a horrible place.
- Carys: My best friend is in terrible danger. I wish she was back in the krait cage!
- Avatar of the Tree: Have courage my child. The mirror's magic is not unknown to me. Tegwen is still alive, though she is very far away.
- <Character name>: Don't lose hope, Carys. Tegwen needs us to be brave.
- Avatar of the Tree: Well said. Hope is more powerful than any weapon. It is a light in the darkness; a star to lead us home.
- Avatar of the Tree: To rescue her, you must step through the mirror into Orr and find Tegwen there. Trahearne and I will keep the portal open so that you may return.
- Avatar of the Tree: Hurry, Valiant. If Zhaitan's servants discover the portal, they could use it to enter the Grove. I cannot allow that.
- <Character name>: I understand, Mother. We will be swift.
Opening the portal:
- Avatar of the Tree: So much darkness. So much evil. How long can Tyria survive, with this blight upon her soul?
- Avatar of the Tree: The mirror's enchantment is powerful. Be brave, my children. I am with you.
- Caithe: Go. I'll stay and defend this side of the portal. Should any of the Risen try to enter the Grove, they will meet my blades.
Talking to your allies:
- Avatar of the Tree: Quickly, my child. The portal is unstable. I can't keep it open for long.
- I'll be as swift as the wind.
- Trahearne: We'll hold this portal as long as we can. Find Tegwen! Do not delay!
- I will!
- Caithe: Hurry! If Zhaitan learns of this gateway, he could send minions into the Grove.
Really? The portal works both ways?
- Yes, that's why this is such a risk. But a necessary one. We cannot leave Tegwen to die in Orr.
- Agreed. See you soon.
- I'm on my way. Travel well, Caithe.
- Carys: After you, <Character name>! I'm too nervous to go through first. I'll watch your back, just like I watch Tegwen's.
- Just stay close.
Searching for Tegwen in Desmina's Hallows:
- Carys: We've got to find Tegwen. Please, Pale Tree, let her be safe.
- Carys: So this is Orr? It's so... dead. I've never seen anything so dead!
- Carys: Is that a giant sea urchin? A giant...undead...sea urchin? Is nothing sacred?
When the Dead Hands pop out of the ground:
- Carys: Ah! What are those things? This place is horrible!
As a Risen Thrall and Risen Pirates spawn:
- Carys: Look out!
Cinematic with Tegwen:
- Carys: Tegwen! I thought we'd never find you. I thought Zhaitan was going to chew you up and eat you!
- Tegwen: Carys, you came after me—again! Did you touch the mirror, too? What were you thinking?
- Tegwen: At least I knew you were safe in the Caledon Forest. Now we're all trapped here.
- <Character name>: We're not trapped. Trahearne and the Pale Tree are keeping the mirror's portal open, but there isn't much time.
- <Character name>: If we hurry, we can escape Orr and arrive safely in the Grove.
- Tegwen: You're not kidding? We can go home? Thank the Mother!
- Tegwen: Carys, you crazy brave girl, stay close to me. Orr is not the kind of place that tolerates mistakes.
- Tegwen: Swiftly, Valiant—lead the way!
Returning to the portal:
- Tegwen: Hurry! We've go to get out of here before Zhaitan finds us!
- Carys: There! That's the valley where we started! The portal must be close!
- Carys: Oh, thank the Pale Tree! Let's get out of this rotted place.
- Carys: I don't think they watered this place very well...
- Tegwen: They did Carys.
- Tegwen: This place...I'll never forget how hollow it feels.
- Tegwen: I saw eyes in the darkness. Great glowing eyes that cut into my soul.
- Tegwen: There's the portal! I hope we get there in time - I want to go home!
Near the portal:
- Caithe: It's been too long. I'm going in after them.
- Trahearne: Look! Just beyond the suface[sic]of the mirror, there's a ripple. It might be them.
- Trahearne: Yes, there! I see the Valiant. I think I can make out Tegwen and Carys, too.
- Avatar of the Tree:
Cinematic back in the Grove:
- Avatar of the Tree: Safely home! Now, Trahearne, close the portal, and we shall all be safe once more.
- <Character name>: Thank you, Mother. I speak for us all when I say we're glad to be home.
- Tegwen: That place was foul. Cold and hopeless—like a murdered soul. I can feel its chill in my spirit.
- Avatar of the Tree: Be at peace, my daughter. You're safe now, and soon, the warmth of the Grove will cheer you.
- Trahearne: Stay near the Pale Tree for a while, little sister. In time, your spirit will heal again. Trust me. I know this well.
- Avatar of the Tree: The dragon's corruption is a blight that sickens the heart. If we do not stop Zhaitan, the entire world will wither and die.
- <Character name>: I understand what you mean now, Mother. We cannot allow the dragons to exist, even if it costs us our lives.
- Avatar of the Tree: Valiant, I am proud of your courage and your conviction.
- Avatar of the Tree: Though you have seen horrors, you now understand our greatest weapon against them - hope.
- <Character name>: Thank you, Mother Tree. I will think on this. When you need me again, I will be ready.
- Carys: Come, you've been through too much. Let us return to Annwen.
- Tegwen: I don't know if I can face the undead. My visit to Orr has shaken me.
- Carys: Then I'll hold the beach while you find your footing.
- Tegwen: And when did you become such a fierce Warden?
- Carys: You taught me well.
Talking with allies again:
- Avatar of the Tree: I am grateful to see you safe under my boughs and branches. Yet one day, I know you will return to Orr. I hope it will not be soon.
Can you tell me more about Orr and the mirror?
- It's a foul place, and the mirror is a dangerous artifact... but we may need it someday.
What will happen to the mirror now?
- It'll be kept safely away until the time comes when, perhaps, we'll find a way to use it against Zhaitan.
- That is good to hear. Thank you, Mother Tree.
- Ah, yes, my Wyld Hunt. Thank you, Mother Tree.
- Trahearne: I know Orr. I know the devastation you have seen. It haunts my mind, day and night. I am sorry that you must bear that image.
My Wild Hunt is to face the dragon. Better know now what that means.
- That is true. And you are not alone. Caithe's hunt is akin to yours — so is my own. There are others, as well, among all the races.
- Three powerful orders fight against the dragons: the Vigil, the Durmand Priory, and the Order of Whispers. You'll learn more about them eventually.
- I hope so.
- I hope so.
- I understand you a bit better now, Trahearne.
- Caithe: I see you are unharmed, and with both Carys and Tegwen. An exceptional job.
I tried to hurry. Tell me, did any of those monsters come through into the Grove?
- Thankfully, no. You were quick, and we were all very lucky.
- I'm just glad it worked. Now let's put that mirror away — and never touch it again.
- Thank you, Caithe.
- Tegwen: Valiant—you are my salvation. I never would've made it home without you, even if the horrors of that place are now seared into my mind.
- Get some rest, Tegwen. Try to find peace.
- Carys: That place was like a horrible nightmare! I hope I never go back there again. Not ever!
- It's all right. Tegwen is safe. It's over. Try to relax.