Mockery of Death
Mockery of Death
Mockery of Death (Level 10)
- Speak with Caithe
- Investigate the disturbance.
- Intervene and challenge the green knight.
- Defeat the green knight.
- Defeat the green knight a second time.
- He must be cheating. Defeat him again!
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- One of the following: Chainmail Gauntlets, Ringmail Gauntlets, Scale Gauntlets
- One of the following: Rawhide Bracers, Marksman's Bracers, Studded Leather Bracers
- One of the following: Cloth Gloves, Linen Gloves, Velvet Gloves
Upon speaking with the Warden Requisitioner:
- Warden Requisitioner: Ah, a freshly awakened sylvari! Welcome to Tyria, sapling! I'm a member of the Wardens, the protective guard for our homeland here in the Grove. I'm here to provide you with equipment.
- Oh, good. In my dream, I had a certain attire...
- Warden Requisitioner: I've just the thing for you. Here, take this. Now, go speak with Warden Arondele, down the path to your left. She'll help you get oriented.
- Thank you very much!
Upon seeing Warden Arondele:
- Warden Arondele: Pardon me. I'd like to talk to you.
Upon talking to Warden Arondele:
- Warden Arondele: Welcome to Astorea. As you journey forth into the unknown, know that you are not alone. Seek guidance from those who make their homes here and help them in their time of need. The path ahead is yours to choose.
- Warden Arondele: As you journey outward, you'll encounter amazing asuran waypoints that--for a small fee--allow you to rapidly traverse the land.
- Warden Arondele: I'm excited for you. You'll find challenges out there that will help you grow and increase your skill. Enjoy the adventure!
In your mail after filling a heart:
Remembering Your Dream
You may remember me-- we met briefly within the Dream. While I could not be present for your awakening, the images I witnessed in your Dream continue to occupy my thoughts. The dragon, yes, but other revelations as well.
Come, and speak with me in the Grove, I have heard rumors that I believe you should know; whispers of a green knight resembling the one in your Dream. The leader of your cycle has offered to interpret your Dream and offer wisdom. I sense that you will need this guidance. Travel swiftly.
Cinematic at Caithe:
- Caithe: I knew we'd meet again, young Valiant.
- <Character name>: You know that because you saw it in the Dream. What else do we dream that comes true?
- Caithe: Much. But not always what you might expect. Why? Is something troubling you?
- <Character name>: Somewhat. In my dream, a champion in brilliant green armor defeated all challengers. He seemed invincible, yet a small mouse nipped at his heel.
- If Cycle of Dawn:
- Caithe: Aife, you are born of Dawn, like this Valiant. Can you interpret the vision? I see both literal and symbolic images here.
- Aife: ??
- If Cycle of Noon:
- Caithe: Niamh, you are born of Noon, like this Valiant. Can you interpret the vision? I see both literal and symbolic images here.
- Niamh: I'll try. Perhaps this is a challenge that you must face, to gain wisdom. Did—
- If Cycle of Dusk:
- Caithe: Kahedins, you are born of Dusk, like this Valiant. Can you interpret the vision? I see both literal and symbolic images here.
- Kahedins: I'll try. When you saw this champion, did you feel frightened? Angry? Did--
- If Cycle of Night:
- Caithe: Malomedies, you are born of Night, like this Valiant. Can you interpret the vision? I see both literal and symbolic images here.
- Malomedies: I'll try. Did you see any other patterns in your dream? Stars? Or sigils? Did you—
- Dagdar: Help! Somebody help me! The brute is killing my beloved. Stop him!
- <Character name>: What? Where! Show me!
Upon cinematic end:
- Caithe: The trouble's this way, Valiant.
- Caithe: This "brute" could be the foe you seek. Hurry!
Upon reaching the Green Knight:
- Dagdar: Please! Enough. Victory is yours. Just let him live!
- Bercilak: Live! Ha! This sapling accepted my challenge and failed. His life is forfeit.
- Eladus: Please, Dagdar. Go, and leave me. He'll kill you too, if you stay.
- Dagdar: You're a monster, Bercilak. I won't let you do this! I won't live without my beloved.
- Bercilak: So be it. As Ventari teaches, "Hard ground makes stronger roots."
Upon talking to Bercilak (Cinematic):
- <Character name>: A knight in full armor--attacking defenseless innocents? That isn't right. Why don't you fight me instead?
- Bercilak: I'd love to. I've killed many in my quest to find the exceptional individual who can defeat me. (chuckle) I doubt you're it, but we'll fight anyway.
Upon defeating Bercilak:
- Dagdar: You did it, Valiant! You killed him!
- Bercilak: Don't be so sure.
Upon defeating Bercilak again:
- Caithe: Be cautious. I have a bad feeling about this...
- Bercilak: What a waste of time! Come, slay me once more, Valiant. I can do this all day!
Upon defeating Bercilak a third time:
- Bercilak: A Valiant! Ha! Good try, but you're no match for me, weed.
- Bercilak: You did well enough that I'll leave you alive—for now. But I'll be back.
- Bercilak: The next time we fight, try to make it a real challenge...or I'll make sure to finish what I started here today.
After Bercilak leaves (cinematic):
- Dagdar: My deepest thanks. Eladus is everything to me. Your courage saved us both.
- <Character name>: Who was that knight in the green armor? I saw him in my Dream, before I awoke. I recognized him as easily as if we had met before.
- Dagdar: Bercilak. He's terrible! He challenges young sylvari to duels and then fights them to the death. When Bercilak insulted my honor, Eladus had no other option. He loves me, after all.
- <Character name>: That sounds like a cat taking advantage of mice. He's prideful, and he's a bully. He deserves to be taught a lesson full of bruises.
- Caithe: That's it! The meaning of your Dream. Like mice, young sylvari fight Bercilak with no hope of winning. But you are different Valiant. You can do more that just throw yourself on his claws.
- Dagdar: Perhaps I can help you, after all! Bercilak is wooing a Valiant named Gairwen—unsucessfully, I might add. She's been seen near Morgan's Spiral.
- <Character name>: That is helpful, Dagdar. Thank you. I'll visit Gairwen and ask for her story. Perhaps Bercilak told her a weakness I can use.
Speaking with Allies:
- Caithe: Three times you defeated him, and three times he stood once more. This is treachery of the worst sort.
How did the green knight keep getting up?
- I would guess it was some foul magic, likely of the Nightmare Court.
Can you tell me more about the Nightmare Court?
- They're the evil that cast the blight into your dream. You overcame it there. You can do so again.
- I'll try. Can I ask another question?
- If they don't fight fairly, I'll just have to work harder. Thanks for the information.
If this is part of my Wyld Hunt, how will I know when it's complete?
- Your Wyld Hunt is to defeat the dragon—that's what we saw in your dream. This is merely a step along the path.
I see. I'm gaining the wisdom I'll need by facing other enemies first.
- The Elder Dragons are powerful. No one expects you to face one when you are so new to the world. Be patient. Enjoy life. That time will come, soon enough.
- May I ask another question?
- I will be ready.
What's the story with Dagdar and Eladus?
- They're a young couple, and very much in love.
- Love is a gift...and a burden. We sylvari love freely, as our hearts command. There is no shame in it.
- May I ask another question?
- Thank you for explaining.
Do you know this Gairwen they mentioned?
- The name is vaguely familiar. I believe she's recently suffered some tragedy, but I don't remember more.
- Good information. Can I ask you something else?
- I'll find out for myself. Wish me good luck!
How were you able to reenter the Dream to help me?
- The Mother Tree sent me. Her power is great, and she exists both here and in the Dream. Still, as I am awake, I could only do so much.
So you needed me to help you?
- Exactly. We hoped we would find someone with the heart of a hero. And there you were, <Character Name>.
- May I ask another question?
- I am glad that I could aid the Pale Tree.
- Dagdar: I can't thank you enough. My love is injured, but safe! We owe you our lives.
What started the fight?
- We were having a picnic when Bercilak arrived. He said terrible things, things Eladus couldn't ignore, even though I begged my love to walk away.
Did the green knight challenge Eladus?
- Yes, and my beloved accepted. I was so frightened! He is not as skilled as you, and Bercilak cut him down.
- I see. May I ask another question?
- It's over now. Take care of each other.
Why were you fighting that monster unarmed? He would've killed you.
- I couldn't leave Eladus! We Dreamed of one another. To be in a world without Eladus would've hurt worse than death.
- You should have both run away.
That green knight was ferocious. Are you both all right?
- We are, but I thank the Pale Tree that you were nearby. Your courage saved us.
- Stay away from Bercilak, and spread the word about him. I'll look into this.
I'm glad I could help. True love is a noble cause.
- You are kind, Valiant. My love and I will never forget your good deed.
- It's interesting. My Wyld Hunt also showed early. Best of luck to you both.
- The danger's gone now. Take care of each other.
- Eladus: Thank you. He was so cruel to Dagdar! I knew I couldn't beat him, but I couldn't ignore it any longer.
Why did you accept if you knew you couldn't win?
- If I hadn't, Bercilak would have attacked us both. It was the only way to protect my beloved.
- You are a brave and true love. Rest easy. I'll handle this.
- You're welcome. I hope you recover swiftly.
If Cycle of Dawn: If Cycle of Noon:
- Niamh: You have done well. You fought hard and refused to surrender I am impressed.
What's it like to be firstborn, like you and Caithe?
- We are visionaries. I awakened at the zenith of the first day of our race. I am a warrior and a defender, and I founded the Wardens.
I've seen Wardens in the Grove. Can you tell me more?
- The are honorable friends. Protecting the Grove from any who would harm the sylvari or the Pale tree.
- How wonderful. May I ask another question?
- Fascinating. Thank you, Firstborn.
- Thank you for answering my questions.
Can you tell me more about the Cycle of Noon?
- We awakened during the heat of the day. We are adventurers, daredevils, and soldiers. You are of our cycle, Valiant.
- I'm happy to be a member of the Cycle of Noon. May I ask another question?
- That must be why I love exploring! Thank you, Niamh.
What about the other cycles?
- How curious. May I ask another question?
- Thanks for the explanation.
What makes our time of birth so significant?
- Dreams change with the hours. Someone's cycle can show us their true strengths.
- Very interesting. May I ask another question?
- Thank you for the information, Firstborn.
- Thank you, Firstborn.
If Cycle of Dusk: If Cycle of Night: