- 1325 AE
- Overlake Haven
- Choosing an Order
- Preceded by
- A Splinter in the Flesh
- Followed by
- The Blossom of Youth
Secrets in the Earth
Sharpened Thorns is part of the Sylvari personal story for characters who choose Branthyn's plan during A Splinter in the Flesh. As a member of the Vigil, Branthyn prefers to defend the Haven with force and an army of soldiers.
Sharpened Thorns (22)
Defend Overlake Haven from the Risen.
- Meet Branthyn near Overlake Haven.
- Defeat the undead attacking Branthyn.
- Assault the undead at Overlake Haven.
- Protect the Haven.
- Order the Lionguard squads to defend key positions.
- Hold the keep until Vigil reinforcements arrive. / Time remaining: 3:00
- Rendezvous with the Vigil.
- Defeat the remaining Risen.
- Destroy the Veteran Abomination.
Report back to the order representatives.
- Speak with the Pale Tree.
- Decide your next course of action.
At the end of the mission you have to decide how to find out what happened to Riannoc and the sword Caladbolg.
- Gather information with Cai from the Order of Whispers. This will lead to The Blossom of Youth.
- Perform the ritual with Iowerth from the Durmand Priory. This will lead to Secrets in the Earth.
Upon arrival at the Pale Tree.
- <Character name>: I have good news, Mother Tree. Overlake Haven is safe, and the undead have been driven away.
- Trahearne: Valiant, I was told about the strange undead you saw on the battlefield. I think I can help you.
- Trahearne: The creature sounds like a lich. From the description I was given, I think I can identify it as Mazdak the Accursed.
- Avatar of the Tree: Mazdak the Accursed? I know that name. One of my firstborn, Riannoc, went to destroy Mazdak many years ago.
- Avatar of the Tree: I armed him with a thorn from my own bough, a mighty sword named Caladbolg. Both were lost, never to return to the Grove.
- Avatar of the Tree: Herald, it seems you have a chance to discover the fate of my lost son and perhaps even avenge Riannoc's death.
- Cai: Legend says that Riannoc chose a human to be his squire. If that squire survived, the Order of Whispers could find him.
- Cai: The Order is very good at tracking people down - even when they don't want to be found.
- Iowerth: Untrustworthy, as always. I have an alternate suggestion. As you may know, the Durmand Priory specializes in researching and recovering lost knowledge.
- Iowerth: This sounds like an exciting opportunity to experiment with a ritual we've uncovered. If cast, it lets you witness the last moments of a person's life.
- Trahearne The mystery of Riannoc's death has pained the sylvari since the days of the firstborn. Knowing his fate would help to heal that wound.
- <Character name>: Branthyn? Does the Vigil have any suggestions?
- Branthyn Information-gathering isn't our strong suit. Instead, I'll go ask my superiors how to kill a lich. I'll meet you back here when you're done.
- Avatar of the Tree: Very well. Herald, the choice is yours.
The decision here is NOT the final decision for any order. It will introduce the orders in the follow up quests.
 My story