Fighting the Nightmare
Fighting the Nightmare
- 1325 AE
- Following the Dream
- The Sylvari Dream
- Preceded by
- Character creation
- Followed by
- Called to Service
Mockery of Death
Nightmare's poison has withdrawn from the dream
— In-game description
Protect the Dream.
- Speak with Caithe's spirit.
- Run past the Nightmare hounds.
- Head to the bridge.
- Defeat the shadow creatures infecting the Dream.
- Defeat the shadow of evil that has infected the Dream.
Hold out against the nightmare hounds.
Hold out against the nightmare hounds
Nightmare Hounds Defeated
Defeat the nightmare hounds
Shadow of the Dragon Destroy the Shadow of the Dragon
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
You will start within the Dream, which is being assailed by Nightmare hounds. You don't need to fight the ones that are around you unless you really wish to do so. Head towards the green marker on your map and interact with Caithe, she will explain the situation to you and ask you to help her defeat and creature of nightmare. Follow the updated quest marker and make your way over a bridge into a clearing. Note that the bridge may be destroyed when you arrive, which will initiate a small event where you need to kill nightmare hounds while an NPC repairs it. In the clearing you will be faced with a giant dragon creature, which you must defeat. Beware its crushing attacks, as it can knock you into downed state with a single blow. If it calls any more hounds, you may defeat them as well, but it isn't necessary.
Once it has fallen, you will initiate new dialogue with Caithe and will awaken from the Dream.
Opening cinematic after character creation:
- <Character name>: I am sylvari.
- <Character name>: Twenty-five years ago, my people first appeared in Tyria. The Pale Tree flowered, and the firstborn awakened.
- <Character name>: The Dream contains my race's memories. We gain awareness here and then awaken into the world.
- <Character name>: The Dream fills me with knowledge and is my connection to others. It is my inspiration. My guiding light.
- <Character name>: While here, I have discovered my purpose: to face evil and destroy it. Even now, I sense my destiny calling me to awaken. My time is soon.
- <Character name>: Nature and goodness are under siege. All life hangs in the balance. If Tyria is to survive, it will need us.
- <Character name>: If we fail, the Dream will be consumed by nightmare, and Tyria will wither and die.
- If chosen Shield of the Moon:
- <Character name>: I dream of secrets. The voices of my people whisper to me of spider webs and hidden knives.
- <Character name>: I see the symbol of a crescent moon on the curve of a shield. It is a symbol of wisdom.
- <Character name>: The Dream hints at my future.
- <Character name>: I glimpse the faces of those whose secrets I will shelter... and who, in turn, guard mine.
- <Character name>: I will uncover truth and fight the nightmare that festers in wicked hearts.
- <Character name>: On the eve of my awakening, I feel the earth singing in my bones.
- If chosen White Stag:
- <Character name>: I dream of voyages. The voices of my people whisper to me of far-off places and mysterious shores.
- <Character name>: A white stag races before me, brave and wild, it offers me the gift of freedom.
- <Character name>: The Dream hints at my future.
- <Character name>: There are distant lands and dangerous challenges--but also, I see my home. A grove with a white tree, and friends who will stand by me when I need them.
- <Character name>: My honor dictates that I help those who are lost and alone. I am their protector.
- <Character name>: I hear my name in the wind, and I feel the call of my future.
- If chosen Green Knight:
- <Character name>: I dream of battle. The voices of my people whisper of warfare and the storm of combat.
- <Character name>: I see a knight in armor, fierce with challenge. He offers me the gift of courage.
- <Character name>: The Dream hints at my future.
- <Character name>: I see friendly faces, good and noble folk. They need me. I must keep them safe.
- <Character name>: A devouring force threatens all of Tyria. I will stand against that danger.
- <Character name>: On this, the eve of my awakening, I feel fire in my blood.
- <Character name>: And yet, I sense darkness approaching. Something intrudes upon the Dream.
- <Character name>: It blocks the path to my awakening. Before I can enter the world, I must first face this evil—and vanquish it.
- <Character name>: I am summoned by the Dream.
- <Character name>: This is my story.
- Ventari: Forging serenity within the heart is more difficult than any physical battle.
- Ventari: I did not know that such a small seed could begin such a very large journey...
- Ventari: Life can be painful, but do not fear the trials you will face. Hard ground makes stronger roots.
- Ventari: Live well and fully, and waste nothing. Each day is a gift.
- Ventari: You cannot expect the world to give you peace. You must find it... within yourself.
- Ventari: Never leave a wrong to ripen into evil or sorrow.
Upon approaching Glain's group:
- Dreamer (1): It burbles and bubbles like a walking waterfall! What is it?
- Glain: It's...quishy. How interesting!
- Dreamer (2): Do you think it will be our friend?
Talking to Glain:
- Glain: Hello, sunshine. Did you see this? I'm not sure what it is, butbit's delightfully strange.
- Very interesting. Excuse me, I'm needed elsewhere.
Upon approaching Ebrox:
- Ebrox: Listen to me, saplings! You can fight this poison.
- Ebrox: Look around you. See the branches and the rocks? Take up the bounty of the land.
- Ebrox: Anything can be a weapon if you have the courage to fight.
Upon approaching Morcades' group:
- Dreamer: What's happening? Why are we being attacked?
- Morcades: I don't know. I've never felt anything like this. It's awful.
- Dreamer: Please, help.
Talking to Morcades:
- Morcades: Help me! I don't understand what's happening. Why is there so much pain? What is going on?
The dream is under attack. Stop quaking. Stand and fight!
- I can't fight. I'm to young. I'm to afraid!
- Then stand aside and let me fight for you.
- Try to stay out of danger.
Approaching the Norn Warrior:
- Norn Warrior: I will wear your skin as a keepsake of this fine hunt.
- Norn Warrior: My foe dies, and I live another day. Glory to Bear!
Upon approaching Caithe:
- Caithe: For the sake of the land. For the sake of the Pale Tree. Come to me sapling; I need your assistance.
- Caithe: You there, sapling. I sense great danger. Come and listen, so you can defend yourself.
- Caithe: I must speak with you. The Dream is in great jeopardy.
- Caithe: Yes! I'm here! Can you see me?
Cinematic when talking to Caithe:
- Caithe: Dreamer, I am Caithe. I need your help. Can you hear me where you are, within the Dream?
- <Character name>: Within the Dream? What does that mean? Why do you look transparent?
- Caithe: I am in Tyria, a land far away. Soon, you'll awaken here, but for now, you live in the Dream. I can't explain right now. We must hurry. Something is poisoning the Dream.
- <Character name>: Poisoning the Dream? Of course, I will do whatever I can to help you. But why me?
- Caithe: Your spirit is strong. Do not underestimate yourself. Head to the far embankment, and I'll meet you there.
Talking to Caithe after the cutscene:
- Caithe: Be brave, sapling. There is a darkness here, a poison intruding on the Dream. You must show courage, and be a beacon in the darkness.
I will do my best. What challenge awaits me?
- Foul creatures infest the nearby jungle. We must find their source and exterminate them.
- I'll do what I can.
Tell me more about the Dream.
- All sylvari start their lives here, taking sustenance from the memories of the many who have awakened before us.
Memories? Whose memories?
- Memories of other sylvari, of those who have already awakened. You are fed upon transparent visions of things past, things that can and will affect your future.
- Indeed, we must protect the Dream. What else can I do? (goes to "I will do my best. What challenge awaits me?")
- Then I will not delay any longer.
- What should I do now? (goes to "I will do my best. What challenge awaits me?")
- I am ready to defend the Dream.
- I am glad.
Upon approaching Caithe up the slope:
- Caithe: This way. Those hounds are an aspect of the poison. Our foe must be close now.
- Caithe: I know it looks grim, but you must press on. Our future is in your hands.
- Caithe: Here they come. Be wary, and fight well.
When talking to Caithe on the slope:
- Caithe: This poison spreads hatred and anger. We must fight it.
Who caused has this?
- An evil group called the Nightmare Court. They wish to harm the sleepers. Trust me, sapling. All will be made clear to you very soon.
Why attack the Dream?
- Because the Dream shapes us all before we awaken, just as it is now shaping you. A darkness within it takes root in our own hearts and becomes a lasting shadow there.
- What should I do? (same as below)
- That's terrible, I'll stop it!
- I will trust you. Tell me, what can I do? (same as "What do I do now?")
- All right. I will continue onward.
What do I do now?
- Be brave. Prepare for battle. When you face the darkness, remember that you are not alone.
- I will.
- Then we will fight it.
Speaking with Abloris if the bridge is standing, and no hounds are attacking:
- Abloris: You'd better hurry! They already went over the bridge. I'm sure they need you!
- On my way!
When the bridge event starts:
- Caithe: The monster is exhaling its poison. Find cover, quickly!
- Caithe: The bridge has collapsed. Without it, we cannot reach the enemy I sense within the Dream.
- Abloris: Fear not, my lady. I can fix the bridge, but not while evading these beasts!
- Caithe: Young one, slay these creatures. Give our friend time to repair the path.
When the spawns appear:
- Caithe: Here they come. Be wary and fight well.
- Caithe: Stand your ground. The attackers will weaken soon.
Speaking with Abloris while event is up:
- Abloris: I'll get that bridge up in a jiffy, just as soon as these nightmare hounds give me a second to breathe.
- I'll help as best I can!
After defeating the first few waves of hounds:
- Abloris: I can fix this, but not if I'm under too much pressure. Hold out against those beasts!
- Caithe: Defend the bridge. Do not let up!
- Abloris: I'll get this bridge reformed with the utmost haste.
- Caithe: It is time. The poison is at its strongest in the clearing beyond. Have courage!
After defeating the final wave of nightmare hounds:
- Abloris: Caithe's gone to fight the nightmare beast. I'm sure she could use you there.
Upon entering the clearing:
- Caithe: Wait...something's happening. I feel...
- Caithe: The Pale Tree has breathed her strength into me. She's made me tangible—but only for a few moments.
- Caithe: Hurry, sapling. Be ready for anything.
- Caithe: Swiftly now. We must end this corruption.
While fighting the Nightmare Hounds:
- Caithe: Hold nothing back. Victory is a breath away.
- Caithe: Swiftly, now. Victory is a breath away.
When the Shadow of the Dragon appears:
- Caithe: There! The poison has taken form. Quickly, destroy it while we can!
While fighting the Shadow of the Dragon:
- Caithe: Destroy the nightmare before it takes root.
- Caithe: We will defend the Dream. Be gone, monster.
Upon deafeating the Shadow of the Dragon:
- Caithe: It is finished. The Dream is safe against this poison, thanks to you. We'll see each other again in waking world, soon.
Cinematic upon leaving the Dream:
- <Character name>: Where am I? I...I was fighting a great evil. Are we safe? Caithe--where is Caithe?
- Mender Serimon: Steady, sapling. You just woke. You were calling out in your Dream. Caithe was just here, but she had to go speak to the Pale Tree.
- <Character name>: She and I fought side by side against a poison in the Dream. I saw the shadow of a terrible dragon, and I felt the Dream call upon me to defeat it.
- Mender Serimon: By the Tree! A Wyld Hunt, so soon? And such a momentous task. To be a Valiant of the Wyld Hunt is a difficult charge. Bear this calling with pride.
- <Character name>: I will. But how do I begin? One does not simply awaken and rush off to face a dragon.
- Mender Serimon: You start here, in our forest. There were others hurt in the Dream. They could use your help. Besides, it'll be fine training for a new valiant!