Flower of Death
Flower of Death
- The Grove
- Choosing an Order
- Preceded by
- The Bad Apple
Trouble at the Roots
- Followed by
- A Fragile Peace
Flower of Death is part of the personal story of Sylvari characters. It is selected by becoming a member of the Vigil in the previous mission. This quest is selected by going along with Branthyn's plan during The Bad Apple or Trouble at the Roots. As a member of the Vigil, Branthyn prefers to take back Ascalon Settlement with force and an army of soldiers.
You will be wielding Caladbolg for the duration of this quest. This presents the following limitations:
- Weapon swapping is disabled.
- Class unique skills (F1-F4) are disabled (only confirmed for guardian virtues and elementalist attunements)
- Mesmers don't get their shatter skills (F1-F4). Clone skills might not work either. Mirror Images spawned 2 clones, but they did not attack, maybe they didn't know what to do with Caladbolg. Phantasmal Defender spawned a phantasm, but it's hard to tell if it did anything. Of course Caladbolg doesn't have any skills which would produce clones or phantasms.
- The skills given by Caladbolg do not inflict conditions and have knockdown/knockback as their only defense.
- Rangers don't get their pets, so not much point taking pet-specific skills.
The enemies are almost exclusively melee-oriented. One effective strategy is to turn on auto-attack for the chain lightning (skill #2) and use that as your main attack while moving to avoid the slow but dangerous risen brutes. Select utility skills to support a mobile playstyle.
Talk to Branthyn to start the assault on the town gate. Your Vigil allies will charge forward into waves of Risen. Clear them on both sides of the road and move forward to the gate. Use [F] the battering ram to damage the gate. You can also damage it with your normal attacks while the ram is cooling down. After breaking down the gate, move forward into the town.
You will be presented with 4 new objectives, areas in the town that have to be cleared of Risen. At each location a shimmering sphere indicates where a large group of Risen will spawn when you approach. The graveyard is the only location that has ranged enemies, risen grubs.
After clearing all 4 objectives, a cutscene will play and you will be given a new objective: Defeat Mazdak the Accursed in the north graveyard, just outside of the town. Proceed out the east gate and up the hill. Risen will spawn one by one and run down to attack. Keep moving up the hill until you reach the graveyard.
Mazdak has a powerful ranged attack and summons risen. Use the chain lightning attack to kill the groups of risen. It can also be used effectively to take down the boss while dodging and running to avoid his attacks.
 My story