Further into Orr
Further into Orr
- 1325 AE
- Victory or Death
- Cathedral of Eternal Radiance
Establish a forward command post for the Pact.
- Meet Trahearne at Reflection Cove near the ruins of Wren.
- Follow Trahearne to the meeting of the Pact commanders.
- Defend Augur's Grotto.
- Defend the underground waterway.
- Defeat Prince Alhazred and his royal guard.
- Speak with Marshal Trahearne.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- 6 Bags of Loot
- One of the following: Commando's Hauberk, Outrider's Armor, Trooper's Armor
- One of the following: Commando's Jacket, Outrider's Vest, Trooper's Jerkin
- One of the following: Commando's Coat, Outrider's Coat, Trooper's Coat
You meet up with Trahearne outside the grotto. He mentions that there are still a few Risen in the area, and naturally enough there are a handful of foes to dispatch on the way into the cave. Once inside, head over to the Order representatives for a short cutscene, which gets interrupted by scouts reporting a Risen attack.
The first wave of Risen attack from the back entrance to the cave (to your left). Once they are dealt with, another wave comes out of the water. The third wave consists of Corrupted Quaggans. Finally, the last wave is an Orrian prince and his personal guard, attacking from the back entrance. None of these foes are particularly dangerous, although they do come in large numbers, so take the time to revive fallen allies.
Once all the Risen have been defeated, you get back to the original discussion, which was about the Pact's next step in the war. You can talk to several of the NPCs around the area to learn more about the three plans. Once you have made a decision, talk to Trahearne.
The choice made here determines the character's path through the next portion of the storyline for a total of three missions.
Upon meeting Trahearne (cinematic):
- Trahearne: You're just in time, Commander. We've established a perimeter, and we're shoring up the cavern's defenses.
- Trahearne: After your recent victory, Zhaitan's forces are weakened. The dragon feels us growing closer, like a thorn digging deeper into flesh.
- <Character name>: Now we know Zhaitan can feel fear as well as rage. Its time in Tyria is coming to an end.
- Trahearne: Brave words! Now, let's make them come true. Come with me. The other commanders are inside.
Talking to Trahearne:
- If the chosen greatest fear was 'Making another suffer':
- Trahearne: A moment, Commander? I wanted to let you know that songs of Apatia's bravery are being sung in every alehouse in Hoelbrak.
She'd like that. I wish she could hear them.
- Perhaps she can. The Spirits of the Wild sometimes manifest their power in strange ways. And if not, we can take comfort in that we gave her a send-off worthy of a norn.
- Thanks for the update, Marshal.
- If the chosen greatest fear was 'Dishonor my allies':
- Trahearne: I wanted to follow up on the Syska incident. Word is spreading among Warmaster Caisson's unit, so your reputation is on its way to being restored. How are you holding up?
Well enough. I'm glad we settled things, both for me and the Pact.
- I'm making sure that all Pact troops are aware that Zhaitan is deploying mesmers against us. It won't stop their illusions entirely, but forewarned is forearmed.
- Thanks for the update, Marshal.
- If the chosen greatest fear was 'Letting an innocent die':
- Trahearne: I wanted to follow up about Tonn. How did it go with Ceera?
Not well. She was devastated. Inconsolable.
- I was afraid of that. Grief can tear a person down until what remains is barely recognizable. At this point, all we can do is trust that time will bring her some measure of peace.
- I'm afraid that's the best we can hope for.
On the way into the grotto:
- Trahearne: The grotto is this way. I'm told star-crossed lovers used to meet here.
- Trahearne: Be cautious. We're still clearing out the last of the Orrians from here.
- Trahearne: This grotto makes a defensible command post. Only two ways in - this passage, and the seaway.
- (If previous mission was Ossuary of Unquiet Dead)
- Trahearne: The destruction of the Orrian ossuary has severly limited Zhaitan's ability to create new monstrosities.
- (If previous mission was A Grisly Shipment)
- Trahearne: With the destruction of the Orrian armada, we've greatly hurt Zhaitan's access to new soldiers.
- Trahearne: Doern, Wynnet and Efut are already here, preparing the next attack. We need a strategy.
Upon reaching the order representatives:
- Trahearne: What are your recommendations for our next move?
- Warmaster Efut: Full offensive, sir. We've cut away Zhaitan's supports. Now's our chance to attack the main force, while they're still reeling.
- Doern Velazquez: I agree, but a land-based offensive would hit where the dragon is strongest. If we attack from the sea, we'd do more damage.
- Wynnet Fairhaired: Marshal, we've lost contact with the squad investigating lost artifacts. I want to send in an extraction team.
- Trahearne: I see. Commander, a word? I need your input.
- Whispers Agent: Marshal Trahearne! A Risen legion is approaching.
- Whispers Agent: I saw the sigil of the Orrian royal house—I think they're coming from the tomb of Prince Alhazred.
- Trahearne: In life, Alhazred was said to be cruel, vicious man. Death will have not improved him.
- Trahearne: Prepare to defend the encampment. To arms!
During the fight with the risen:
- Trahearne: By the Pale Tree! What is that?
- Trahearne: They're not through yet. Stand fast!
- Trahearne: Undead quaggan! Zhaitan will use anything that falls prey to his servants.
- Trahearne: As I feared, one of the princes of Orr.
- Veteran Risen Prince Alhazred: Time to die!
After defeating Prince Alhazred - approaching Crusader Falx:
- Crusader Falx: They say the Pact is getting a shipment of war machines from the High Legions.
- Priory Scholar: War machines? Like catapults?
- Crusader Falx: Ha! Legion tanks make catapults look like toys!
Talking to Crusader Falx:
- Crusader Falx: We have a chance to show Zhaitan and its rotten meat puppets how dangerous charr war machines can be. Interested?
Sounds fun. What's the plan?
- Trahearne wants to send an armored column straight into the heart of Orr, and the Gear warband is standing by. They do overwhelming force like nobody else.
- I'll think about it.
- Possibly. Let me get back to you.
After defeating Prince Alhazred - approaching Lightbringer Mallory:
- Lightbringer Mallory: I think those lighthouses along the shore are more than just warning lights.
- Priory Scholar: Most undead are relatively mindless. If they pilot their Dead Ships using those beacons, we can exploit that.
- Lightbringer Mallory: Interesting. Capture their lighthouses, and we capture their fleet. It deserves consideration.
Talking to Lightbringer Mallory:
- Lightbringer Mallory: Orr is an island, right? That makes this a naval war. We'll need superiority at sea, and that means taking out Zhaitan's fleet.
I agree. What do you propose?
- The Beacon Torch lighthouse occupies a key location. If we take control of it, we can direct the Orrian ships into a disadvantageous postition and claim them for Pact use.
- That sounds solid. I'll consider it.
- True, but I need to weigh all options.
After defeating Prince Alhazred - approaching Crusader Wizznit:
- Whispers Agent: No contact with Echo Company, Crusader.
- Crusader Wizznit: Ominous, Echo Company was supposed to check in yesterday.
- Whispers Agent: If they found the artifact and then lost it to the dragon's minions...
- Crusader Wizznit: Wands and wrenches, that's serious trouble! We have to send in rescue party immediately!
Talking to Crusader Wizznit:
- Crusader Wizznit: No one else seems to understand the urgency of this situation. Our top scouting squad is missing. Can you convince the others that this should be our top priority?
Tell me more about the missing squad.
- We sent our best reconnaissance squad out to investigate a serious potential threat, and they haven't reported in. We need to find them, and learn what they've learned.
- No promises, but I'll look into it.
- I'll see what I can do.
Talking to the order representatives:
- Doern Velazquez: Of the three missions on the table, I favor the sea option. The Risen fleet is the dragon's most dangerous weapon. If we take it and use it for ourselves, it harms Zhaitan and helps us.
How do we accomplish that?
- By taking control of the Beacon Torch lighthouse. We can use its signal to lure the Dead Ships in, ground them, and then seize them.
- I like it. Thanks for the information.
- That does sound promising. I'll think it over.
- Warmaster Efut: There's a time for subtlety and this is not it. We need to send our strongest artillery to Orr and drive it right down Zhaitan's throat.
Have we got artillery that can do the job?
- Absolutely. We've got a whole column of charr tanks—devastating in open combat. And we've got the Iron Legion's top tank crew, the Gear warband, standing by to operate them.
- Can't do better than that. I'll give it some thoughts.
- That sounds good, but I need to consider all options.
- Wynnet Fairhaired: What concerns me most is that missing squad. We sent them out to investigate a troubling rumor. We need to know if they've confirmed it.
What were they scouting for?
- I can't divulge the scout squad's mission yet. I can say they're investigating a potentially devastating addition to Zhaitan's arsenal. We need to find it, so we need to find the squad.
- I see. Thanks for the information.
- I'll keep that in mind.
Talking to Trahearne:
- Trahearne: Our three-pronged offensive could break this war wide open for us. It's time to decide, Commander. Where do you think you'll do the most good?
- Stealing Light) I'm going after Zhaitan's navy. (Whispers' plan, leads to
- Hunters and Prey) I'm going to find the missing squad. (Priory's plan, leads to
- Marching Orders) I'm going to take those tanks straight to the heart of Orr. (Vigil's plan, leads to
- I need more time to think.
Talking to the NPCs after choosing a plan:
- Trahearne: So many battles...so many lives at stake. This is the beginning of the end, either for Zhaitan or the Pact. Fortunately, I have every faith in you, Commander.
- I won't let you down.
- Doern Velazquez: I'm glad you agreed with me. Without ships, Zhaitan and his Risen horde will be bottled up in Orr.
Count me in. Where do we start?
- There's a squad standing by to help you take Beacon Torch. Meet them near the lighthouse and they'll provide whatever support you'll need.
- I'd better get started.
- I'm on it.
- Wynnet Fairhaired: I'm relieved you chose to track down the missing scouts. And if they found what I think they found, you'll be glad, too. The entire Pact will.
I'll find them. Where do we start?
- We lost contact with them near the Garden of Ilya.
- Then that's where I'm heading.
- I hope you're right.
- Warmaster Efut: Nice to see a Pact officer who appreciates the value of charr engineering. Nobody builds war wagons like our belligerent friends in the Black Citadel.
I'm looking forward to it. Where do we begin?
- We'll offload the tanks at Shelter Docks. A unique unit called Pale Reavers will meet you nearby and help you clear the landing site. Good luck, Commander.
- Thank you.
- Agreed. Let's get this show on the road.
- Crusader Falx: So, are we rolling into Orr backed by Iron Legion thunder?
- verification requested]
We are. How are we rolling in? (if going with the Vigil's plan) [
- It starts on the beach. We need to clear the landing site so the tanks can be staged for the attack. After that, it's nonstop rolling thunder, baby! Sorry, "Commander."
- Understood. Thanks.
- You are. I've got another mission.
- Lightbringer Mallory: I know this naval mission is the right way to go. Cripple the Risen's ability to come and go from Orr, and we've got them at our mercy.
- verification requested]
And we're going to make it happen. (if going with the Whisper's plan) [
- Outstanding! We've got a team ready for you near Beacon Torch. Good luck, Commander.
- It should work. But I have another assignment.
- Crusader Wizznit: Have you decided? Do you understand the magnitude of the problem regarding the missing squad?
- I'm sorry, but I've another assignment.
- The name Alhazred is most likely a reference to the mad prophet Abdul Alhazred, necromancer and author of the Necronomicon, featured in the works of H. P. Lovecraft.