A Sad Duty
A Sad Duty
- Squall Cusps
(Straits of Devastation)
(Straits of Devastation)
- All Races
- The Cost of Victory
(Letting an innocent die)
- Preceded by
- The Battle of Fort Trinity
- Followed by
- Temple of the Forgotten God
A Sad Duty is part of the personal story for all characters that chose "letting an innocent die" as their worst fear during the mission A Light in the Darkness and completed the mission The Battle of Fort Trinity.
A Sad Duty (level 71)
Inform Tonn's widow that he was killed in action.
- Locate Medic Ceera near Squall Cusps.
- Defeat the undead offensive.
- Revive Ceera.
- Defend Ceera while she performs her duties.
- Inform Ceera about Tonn's fate.
- Find Ceera.
- One of the following: Slayer's Greaves, Inquisitor's Greaves, Stalwart's Greaves
- One of the following: Slayer's Boots, Inquisitor's Boots, Stalwart's Boots
- One of the following: Slayer's Shoes, Inquisitor's Shoes, Stalwart's Shoes
Soon after arriving at the Pact outpost, Risen spawn all around the area and begin attacking the camp. It is dangerous to try to save the NPCs - the enemies take a while to completely finish spawning, and you will likely be surrounded and overwhelmed if you rush in immediately. One way or another, after the Risen are defeated, revive Ceera; she will attempt to help the other NPCs, about half of which are dead for good.
Afterwards, you tell Ceera what happened to Tonn. She doesn't take too kindly to the news and runs off on her own. Unfortunately, she runs straight into a cave full of Risen, somehow managing to get to the very end before being defeated by a Veteran. Follow after her, clearing out all the enemies along the way. Once you deal with the Veteran Abomination, revive Ceera. A cutscene plays, and then the mission ends.
(Note: if you have a speed boosting skill, you can catch Ceera before she runs into the caves, ending the mission without having to fight any more undead.)
After rezzing Cera:
- Pact Medic Ceera: How long was I out? I was triaging them when something hit me. Hard.
- Pact Medic Ceera: Come on, stick with me while I see to the rest of our wounded. I don't fancy another concussion.
While Cera examines the bodies:
- Pact Medic Ceera: We're too late. This one's already gone.
- Pact Medic Ceera: Here's a live one. Open your eyes soldier! You'llbe all right if you can stay conscious.
- Pact Medic Ceera: On your feet soldier. You'll live.
- Pact Medic Ceera: Nothing I can do for this one, either. Are there any Pact troops left alive?
- Pact Medic Ceera: You're lucky to be alive. Come on, get up.
- Pact Medic Ceera: Never had a chance, poor kid. Dead before she hit the ground.
Talking to Ceera (cinematic):
- <Character name>: Ceera...I'm here with bad news about Tonn. I was with him on a demolition mission. Unfortunately, he did not survive.
- Pact Medic Ceera: Tonn's...gone? That can't be. He promised me we'd both live through this. What happened? Tell me how he died!
- <Character name>: We rigged an Orrian bone ship to blow, but the explosives wouldn't go off. Tonn went back to fix them. He died to save the mission.
- Pact Medic Ceera: Is that supposed to make me feel better? The war can go on without Tonn, but I can't. How could you let this happen?
- Pact Medic Ceera: You murdered my husband, you and your Pact. Get away from me. Just get away!
After the cinematic:
- Pact Medic Ceera: Get away from me, you murderer. Tonn! I'll find you, I swear it.
- Pact Medic Ceera: Ahh! No! Somebody, anybody! Help!
After finding Ceera:
- <Character name>: Ceera? Please, you have to return to camp. If you want to honor Tonn, you have to live. Don't die just so you can be with him.
- <Character name>: I know he loved you madly. You were all he talked about, you and the life he wanted you both to have.
- Pact Medic Ceera: Life? What life? What do you know about him, or me? Just leave me alone.
- Pact Medic Ceera: Wait. What about his mother's locket? He wanted me to have it. It was all she had when she died...and now it's all I have left to remember him.
- Pact Medic Ceera: You saved my life. I thank you for that, but I will never, ever forgive you for taking Tonn from me. Just leave. I'll find my own way back.
 My Story