- 1325 AE
- Ashen Waste
- All Races
- The Cost of Victory
(Dishonored by allies)
- Preceded by
- Shell Shock
- Followed by
- Marshaling the Truth
Volcanic Extraction is part of the personal story for all characters that choose "dishonored by allies" as their worst fear during the mission A Light in the Darkness then chose to extract the team trapped in the volcano after the events of Shell Shock.
Volcanic Extraction (Level 70)
Retrieve the missing Pact squad from the volcano.
- Locate the Pact soldiers near Mount Maelstrom.
- Rescue the Pact soldiers still inside the mountain.
- Fight your way out of Mount Maelstrom.
Reach the marked objective, watch the cinematic, then return to the starting location. Fighting the enemies is optional, you can just run past them. The NPCs accompanying you are not needed to trigger the cinematic or end the mission - you can safely leave them behind if you choose to run.
- Approaching the group
- Agent Furius: I hate waiting like this. Might as well have targets painted on our faces.
- Magister Galen: Pipe down. Syska said to stay put.
- Explorer Urond: We should break out the rations and have a cookout. Nothing like magma-roasted moa wings.
- Explorer Bekk: Brilliant. Why don't we just send an invitation: "Hey, destroyers. Come and get us."
- Agent Furius: Any destroyers that come to get me will wind up gravel and dust.
- Approaching the group (cinematic)
- Magister Galen: Who are you? Where's Syska? I hope you have our marching orders. We've been stuck here forever, and we've got fellow soldiers to rescue.
- <Character name>: I'm Trahearne's second-in-command. Syska was...injured. I came to get you out. You said there are others?
- Agent Furius: Syska said there's another squad deep in. She ordered us to stand by until she came back with a stronger force. That was a while ago.
- Explorer Urond: Yeah. And we're hungry. We were about to start snacking on Bekk's big brain here.
- Explorer Bekk: One spoonful from my capacious cranium would elevate your intelligence to the point of seeing what a no-helper you are. In your anguish, you'd end it all.
- Magister Galen: That's enough idle talk. Right now, we need to find the missing squad. Lead on, Commander. We're with you.
|Talking to the group:|
- Entering the tunnels
- Explorer Bekk: If I had access to my workshop, I could take those varmints out in no time. Boom!
- Explorer Urond: No thanks. You'd just blow us up again. Boom!
- Explorer Bekk: One time! I slightly blew us up one time, and you won't let it go.
- In the tunnels
- Explorer Urond: I like fighting these things more than the undead. Killing undead feels...I don't know...
- Magister Galen: Redundant?
- Explorer Urond: I was going to say squishy, but your word is better.
- Nearing the crusaders (cinematic)
- Explorer Bekk: Looks like you're thinking what I'm thinking—that was not normal, and this is a set up.
- Agent Furius: Those "soldiers" were bait, weren't they? What was Syska doing, sending us into a trap like this? She's smarter than this.
- Explorer Urond: She's been off her game lately. I don't mind dying for a good cause, but this is just plain careless. Or criminal.
- Magister Galen: Hang on. You think Syska sent us here to die on purpose? That's not fair. Maybe she was tricked into doing it.
- Explorer Urond: Either way, we're the ones in the meat grinder. And both the jaws of this trap haven't fully snapped shut yet.
- Beating the first wave of destroyers
- Explorer Bekk: If only you had one of my explosive devices.
- Explorer Urond: Then I could shove it in your mouth and get some peace and quiet.
- Magister Galen: Hey, hey! Less talk, more killing!
- Beating the second wave of destroyers
- Agent Furius: Ha! This is the life! Going back to base, covered in rock blood!
- Explorer Urond: And that's why charr make such great soldiers...and such lousy babysitters.
- Magister Galen: Rock blood, charr babysitters...this squad certainly keeps the chat lively.
- Back at the outside of the volcano (cinematic)
- Magister Galen: Okay, I'm convinced. Somebody doesn't want us to survive this mission.
- Explorer Urond: And Syska's the one who put us here. So where do we go from here?
- Explorer Bekk: Back to base, obviously. Confront Syska if you like, but it's straight to Warmaster Caisson for me.
- <Character name>: Marshal Trahearne needs to know about this. Hester, I need you to deliver a message to him. Tell him I need to meet with him in person.
- Magister Galen: Done. He's due to inspect the fortifications at Oxbow Isle. I'll set the meeting for there.
- Magister Galen: And thanks again for the save, Commander. I'm not sure how we got into this mess, but I know you pulled us out.
- Agent Furius: If you find out who's responsible for us being here—Syska or whoever—let us know. Or just kill them horribly, and tell us about it.
- This story step is only available to players if they had stopped at this point or at Shell Shock before the release of the September 2014 Feature Pack.