Asura gates provide a method of instantaneous travel to other asura gates around Tyria. Asura gates are located in each city and in some story-specific locations. Gates are marked in map views by a glowing purple circle. Travel between asura gates is free.
Developed and used by the asura for transportation, the gates allow players to freely travel between places they have not yet explored, such as racial cities.
 Map icon
In the original Guild Wars series, the asura gate network was assumed to be powered centrally from the now-destroyed Central Transfer Chamber by Primordus, who was then thought to be merely a statue of a dragon that radiated magical energy. Since then, Primordus has awakened and left, but the asura gate network is still functional.
Travel using asura gates has a few restrictions. Most prominently, gates cannot be instantly tuned to any location, and larger jumps often require a greater amount of energy and time to prepare. For instance, one of the asura gates at Divinity's Reach leads to Ebonhawke, but only after noon, and a traveler in Lion's Arch would not find a gate leading to Ebonhawke at all. For this reason, and as the process deviates from core trade routes for all races, the asura ask for a large amount of compensation for the considerable effort needed to re-tune a gate. Also, any items exposed to Orr or the Dragonbrand may be seized before travelers may pass through the gates, along with any items considered illegal in either the departure point or arrival point. The asura only allow the use of their gates for peaceful purposes, and will not allow travelers passage for reasons considered unlawful on either side of the gate.
 Broken gates
While the major cities have managed to maintain their respective gates, travelers may come across broken or discontinued gates in the wild. These gates are not all beyond repair; should they be repaired and reactivated they will lead back to labs and other places lost long ago.
 Known gates
- Connecting each of the racial capital cities to Lion's Arch (Gate Hub Plaza)
- Connecting each of the World versus World battlegrounds to Lion's Arch (Fort Marriner)
- Connecting north west side of Metrica Province to interior of inquest HQ
- Connecting Fort Trinity to each of the three major Orders base (only available after completing The Battle of Fort Trinity).
- Currently, different gate colors have no meaning except in Player versus Player when joining your server-side in World versus World.
- There is a second set of asura gates in Lion's Arch that are currently inactive. Their purpose is currently unknown.
 See also
- The asura gates are very similar to the stargates in the Stargate franchise.
- In the Guild Wars Novel "Sea of Sorrows" it is revealed that only graduates from the college of Dynamics are able to build and repair the gates. (page 337)