- Commander's Compendium unlocks the mechanic for the account and can be purchased from a commander trainer for 300 + 250
To join a squad, type the chat command: /squadjoin "name of commander", right-click on a commander's portrait after targeting them, or right-click on their name in chat and select the option to join their squad. You do not need the commander's permission to join.
- To join a squad, type the chat command: /squadjoin "name of commander"
- To leave a squad, type the chat command: /squadleave or open the party window (press ) and select "leave" under squad.
- Squad members can send messages to the squad via the squad chat channel, or .
- Squad members can send messages to the subgroup via the party chat channel, or .
- Squads are limited to 50 players.
- A squad is limited to 15 subgroups.
- To join a subgroup, click and drag your name into the desired group.
- Players cannot be members of a party and a squad at the same time as of the Heart of Thorns expansion.
- When a commander leaves a squad, a member of that squad may volunteer to take over provided they already own a Commander's Compendium.
- To create a squad, open the party UI located on the left hand side of the screen (default: ) and select "Create". This turns on your tag. Select "Disband" to turn it off.
- The same panel allows you to choose an icon color: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. However, you cannot change the color without disbanding and recreating the squad.
- A squad cannot be created if you are already in a squad.
Active commanders will display a commander icon (also known as a tag) on the world map, the compass, and above the commander's character to track their current location. Commanders can display their icon in one of six colors, as shown above: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Hovering the cursor over any commander tags on the map will display "Commander <squad leader's name>". This icon is typically visible to all players in the zone, with two exceptions:
- Squad members can only see the tag of their own leader on the map. (Squad leaders themselves retain the ability to see other commander tags.)
- All players in World versus World can only see tags belonging to commanders on their own team.
Commanders can send a broadcast message to all members of a squad, or to all members of a specific subgroup, using the broadcast chat input next to the party button. The message appears in large text at the top/middle of the screen. The broadcast channel can be changed with
/d) for the entire squad,
/sg) for the commander's own subgroup and
/# (# = 1-15) for a specific subgroup in the broadcast input. can be used to quickly focus the broadcast input box.
Commanders can initiate a ready check by clicking on "Ready check" in the party window. This will show a yes/no prompt on every squad member's screen, with a tick or a cross showing ready status for each member in the squad member list.
- names of squad members (adjacent allies that are non-members are not included)
- amount of supply each is carrying
- total number of squad members
- total supply carried by all squad members
- names of adjacent allies (including non-squad-members). Adjacent range is approximately 240 units.
- amount of supply each is carrying
- total number of adjacent allies
- total supply carried by all adjacent allies
Commanders can designate multiple lieutenants within their squad. Features:
- Able to place commander shape icons using keybinds
- Can move non-lieutenants into different subgroups
- Can broadcast messages in the squad channel
- Lieutenants receive a special icon beside their names in the party UI. (see below)
- Lieutenants are unable to place traditional icons such as squad rally/attack/defend on the world map.
- Squad Attack Order
- Squad Defend Order
- Squad Rally Order
- Personal Waypoint
Hovering over a commander's orders icon will display its function. All may be simultaneously placed at different locations on the map; however, only one of each may be present at a time. They may be individually removed using. Except for the personal waypoint, they are automatically removed when the squad is disbanded.
Location and Object markers
- Location markers create a marker and a colored pillar of light at the selected location
- Object markers create a marker that follows objects or characters
- Clear All removes all currently placed markers
- — clear all location markers
- — clear all object markers
Party UI symbols
- The September 2014 Feature Pack made several changes to the commander tool:
- The tag became account bound.
- Three new tag colors: red, yellow, and purple, in addition to the original blue.
- The price of the Commander's Compendium increased to 300 and 250 , a net increase of 200 .
- The new features applied to existing commanders; those that had spent more than 300 were given rebates of at least 100 .
- The Commander (effect) was removed.
- An Enhanced Squad UI was announced on September 29, 2015 and was implemented with the Spirit Vale patch on November 17, 2015.
- The green and orange Commander tags were added to already existing red, blue, yellow and purple tags in the August 23, 2016 patch.