A character's home instance will change based on their progress and actions in their personal storyline. For example, character actions could determine the presence or absence of non-player characters, special merchants or even buildings.
Players can invite others to visit their home instance. If a character visits a home instance in a city other than their home city (for example, a charr visiting Salma District), they will see a basic version of the district without any story-related changes.
- Asura – the Applied Development Lab, a laboratory near Rata Sum.
- Charr – the Hero's Canton, the barracks in the Black Citadel.
- Human – the Salma District of Divinity's Reach.
- Norn – Hunter's Hearth, within the upper levels of the Great Lodge of Hoelbrak.
- Sylvari – Dreamer's Terrace, a special garden that is part of the Pale Tree.
- Lion's Arch is the only major city without a home instance.
- Personal stories and tasks cannot be started within the home instance of another race.
- ^ Guild Wars 2 personal story: Massively's interview with Ree Soesbee, Massively
- ^ Stéphane Lo Presti, Guild Wars 2 Guru