A character's home instance will change based on their progress and actions in their personal story. For example, character actions could determine the presence or absence of non-player characters, special merchants or even buildings.
Players can invite others to visit their home instance. If a character visits a home instance in a city other than their home city (for example, a charr visiting Salma District), they will see a basic version of the district without any story-related changes. However, most upgrades are available to all characters in the account and visitors to the instance.
|Race||Home instance||Description||Nearest waypoint|
|Asura||Applied Development Lab||A laboratory in Rata Sum.||Magicat Court Waypoint —|
|Charr||Hero's Canton||The barracks in the Black Citadel.||Hero's Waypoint —|
|Human||Salma District||Residential district in the north part of Divinity's Reach.||Salma Waypoint —|
|Norn||Hunter's Hearth||Upper levels of The Great Lodge of Hoelbrak.||Great Lodge Waypoint —|
|Sylvari||Dreamer's Terrace||A garden nestled in the roots of the Grove.||Ronan's Waypoint —|
List of home instance upgrades
Upgrades can be added to home instances for all characters on the account. All unlocked objects for the instance owner will appear and can be gathered by other party members. Each object can only be gathered once per day per account.
Gem Store upgrades
These upgrades can be added by purchasing the relevant upgrade from the Gem Store.
- Basic Ore Node Pack unlocks nodes for Copper Ore, Silver Ore, and Gold Ore.
- Basic Lumber Node Pack unlocks nodes for Green Wood Logs, Soft Wood Logs, and Seasoned Wood Logs.
- Basic Harvesting Node Pack unlocks Herbs, Root Plants, Vegetable Plants.
- Basic Cloth Rack unlocks the Basic Cloth Rack.
- Basic Leather Rack unlocks the Basic Leather Rack.
Black Lion Chest upgrades
These upgrades can be added from very rare drops from Black Lion Chest.
- Hard Wood Logging Node unlocks a node for Hard Wood Log - …
- Elder Wood Logging Node unlocks a node for Elder Wood Log - …
- Ancient Wood Logging Node unlocks a node for Ancient Wood Logs - …
- Iron Ore Mining Node unlocks a node for Iron Ore - …
- Platinum Mining Node unlocks a node for Platinum Ore - …
- Mithril Mining Node unlocks a node for Mithril Ore - …
- Orichalcum Mining Node unlocks a node for Orichalcum Ore - …
- Omnomberry Harvesting Node unlocks a node for Omnomberries - …
- Snow Truffle Harvesting Node unlocks a node for Snow Truffle - …
- Lotus Harvesting Node unlocks a node for Lotus Root - …
- Orrian Truffle Harvesting Node unlocks a node for Orrian Truffles - …
- Flaxseed Harvesting Node unlocks a node for Flax - …
- Ghost Pepper Harvesting Node unlocks a node for Ghost Peppers - …
These upgrades can be added by earning the relevant consumable from achievements.
- Aurillium Node unlocks the Aurillium node. Earned by completing the No Mask Left Behind achievement.
- Enchanted Treasure Chest unlocks an enchanted chest that replenishes itself daily. Earned by completing the Treasure Hunter achievement in Rare Collections.
- Gift of Candy Corn unlocks Raw Candy Corn. Earned by completing the You, Back in the Box achievement for Blood and Madness (2013).
- Gift of Magnanimity unlocks the Wintersday Tree of Generosity. Earned by completing the For the Children! achievement in Basic Collections.
- Gift of Quartz unlocks the Quartz Crystal Formation. Earned by completing the Bazaar Ambassador achievement for Bazaar of the Four Winds.
- Gift of Sprockets unlocks the Sprocket Generator. Earned by completing the The Origins of Madness Completionist achievement for The Origins of Madness.
- Krait Obelisk Shard unlocks the Krait Obelisk Shard place of power. Earned by completing the meta achievement for Tower of Nightmares.
- Personal Bandit Chest unlocks the Found Bandit Chest. Earned by completing the story achievement for Point of No Return.
These upgrades can be added by purchasing the relevant consumable from various vendors.
- Bloodstone Crystal Node unlocks Bloodstone Crystals. Purchased from Natto for 10,000+ 50 .
- Greater Gift of Candy Corn unlocks King-Sized Candy Corn. Purchased from Candy Corn Vendor for 5 Candy Corn Cob.
- Personal Airship Cargo Voucher unlocks an Airship Cargo. Purchased from Itzel Mastery Vendors for 250.
- Personal Crystallized Supply Cache Voucher unlocks a Crystallized Supply Cache. Purchased from Nuhoch Mastery Vendors for 250.
- Personal Exalted Chest Voucher unlocks an Exalted Chest. Purchased from Exalted Mastery Vendors for 250.
- Petrified Wood Node unlocks Petrified Stump. Purchased from Scholar Surra for 10,000+ 50 .
- Winterberry Bush Node unlocks Winterberry Bush. Purchased from Slooshoo for 10,000+ 50 .
- Jade Fragment Node unlocks Jade Fragment. Purchased from Quartermaster Hitchens for 10,000+ 50 .
See individual instances for specific NPCs, but some types are common in all home instances.
- Ambient creatures, various friendly NPCs that on interaction will do little more than provide a greeting.
- Belcher's Bluff NPCs offer unique skills to players.
- Personality, a hidden mechanic, combining dignity, charm (charisma) and ferocity; may be boosted by certain home instance NPCs
- Personal story NPCs, presence depends on the character completing a particular chapter in a their personal story. Every chapter adds at least 1 NPC to the story instance. For example:
- Various Services are available in some, but not all home instances.
- Various cats will join your instance after feeding hungry cats found around Tyria. (The asura home instance comes with one cat, but is not part of the hungry cats.)
- Certain personal story instances take place in the home instance instead of a separate instance.
- The Home Portal Stone allows players to instantly travel to the home instance and return to their original location.
- Gathering done in the home instance is applied to the regional gathering daily achievement, e.g. gathering in Salma District counts towards Daily Kryta Miner/Forager/Lumberer, so daily gather can be readily achieved by mapping to the appropriate home instance.
- Historical upgrades