The Great Hunt
The Great Hunt
The norn pride themselves on their ferocity and the success of their hunts. Each year, young heroes gather to hunt and to boast of their accomplishments. Only the most impressive are chosen to go on that year's Great Hunt.
— In-game description
The Great Hunt is a short tutorial for the players that have just created their norn character. This tutorial has the player gather trophies which are needed to participate in the great hunt. Eventually, the player walks with Eir Stegalkin to defeat a group of Ice Wurm Hatchlings and eventually Issormir, the wurm boss. Players can encounter other players throughout the tutorial.
The Great Hunt (Level 1)
Hunt down game animals and collect trophies.
- Talk to Thora Griffonbane.
- Hunt and collect a trophy from a dire boar, owl griffon sire, or minotaur bull.
- Present your trophy to Ido the Tanner.
- Accompany Eir on the Great Hunt.
- Be victorious in the Great Hunt!
- All professions
There are a total of six events available during The Great Hunt. Only two are mandatory - claiming a trophy (one of the first three events) and killing Issormir.
- Kill the alpine minotaur bull to claim your trophy
- Kill the owl griffon sire to claim your trophy
- Kill the dire boar to claim your trophy
- Join the festive moot brawl
- Kill ice wurm hatchlings to enrage Issormir
- Kill the giant wurm Issormir
As soon as the introduction cutscene ends, talk to Thora Griffonbane, who will explain the rules of the hunt to you. You must gather one of three valuable trophies from foes. The trophy is no actual item, you just kill the suitable monster.
You have to roam the area indicated by the green line and search for the game animals. They are indicated by the green starburst and often accompanied by lesser versions of their kind. If you approach such a possible hunting animal, an appropriate event will appear. You only need to kill one of the given game animals, but can continue for more karma and experience.
Once you have collected at least one trophy, go back to where you started off and talk to Ido the Tanner to gain your place in the Great Hunt. If the final event is not ready and the door to the mountain top is closed, you can participate in the festival moot events.
Finally Eir will call you when the hunt starts. Follow her up the stairs to find the arena of the battle. Your objective there is to enrage Issormir by defeating Wurm Hatchlings. Once enough are dead, Issormir appears and you must fight the wurm. Issormir hits hard in melee, and has an AoE attack too. Watch out for red circles on the ground and you'll be able to avoid it, or dodge if necessary. Additional Hatchlings will spawn during the fight. You may want to defeat them for additional experience and to support your allies. However, Issormir is the real target. Once Issormir is dead, the cutscene triggers automatically and the mission ends.
Opening cinematic after character creation:
- <Character name>: I am norn, hunter of the wild, born of the free and rugged Shiverpeak mountains.
- <Character name>: In the far north, my people fought our greatest enemy: Jormag, a dragon of frost and snow.
- <Character name>: The dragon broke our pride, but it did not break our spirit.
- <Character name>: In our last hour, we heard the voices of four of the Spirits of the Wild: Bear, Raven, Snow Leopard, Wolf.
- <Character name>: They called us south, away from certain annihilation. We founded the Great Lodge of Hoelbrak and claimed new hunting grounds.
- <Character name>: Some say we should not fight Jormag. I say the greatest risk is to wager nothing at all.
- <Character name>: One day, a hero will lead us home, and we will break the dragon's icy grip.
Background-specific portions of the opening cinematic:
|with the Strength quality|
| :<Character name>: I was born in the fire of combat. My spirit has been forged and tempered like steel.
|with the Cunning quality|
| :<Character name>: I weave the skein of wisdom. My cunning confounds lesser foes.
|with the Instinct quality|
| :<Character name>: Victory, like any other prey, must be Hunted. I trust my instincts, the voice of my soul, to guide the way.
When speaking to Thora Griffonbane (cinematic):
- Thora Griffonbane: Hail, Hero! Are you here to take part in this year's Great Hunt?
- <Character name>: Of course I am! Just tell me what needs to be done and stand clear.
- Thora Griffonbane: Hunt down three of the wildest animals you can find and take trophies from your kills. Present only the finest to Ido the Tanner to prove your worth.
- Thora Griffonbane: Whoever has the best trophies, and whose bravery is the greatest, will be invited to join the Great Hunt.
- Thora Griffonbane: Knut Whitebear has said this season's event will be one of the most dangerous, so be ready. I've even heard the renowed Eir Stegalkin might attend.
- <Character name>: I look forward to impressing them both—after I've earned my place in the hunt.
When speaking to Ido the Tanner, and Knut Whitebear (cinematic):
- Ido the Tanner: Hail, hunter! I'm the local leatherworker. Ido's the name. Show me your kills, and I'll make 'em into trophies you'll be proud to show at the moot.
- Ido the Tanner: Drinking, singing, and boasting! I love a good old-fashioned moot.
- Ido the Tanner: Others save their parties for holidays, but I say every day alive's worth celebrating!
- Ido the Tanner: Hey, Knut, look at this impressive trophy! Worthy of the Great Hunt, I'd say!
- Knut Whitebear: Indeed. You are skilled enough to defeat your prey and wise enough to revere their spirits. You are worthy to join in this year's Great Hunt!
- Knut Whitebear: By my own hand, I have brought the mighty wurm, Issormir. He waits above, in the plateau, for one such as you to challenge him.
- Knut Whitebear: The great Eir Stegalkin watches over him now, waiting for the hunt to commence. When it is time, you and the others will go to the high ground over the valley.
- Knut Whitebear: There, you will face Issormir and claim victory-if you can!
- <Character name>: I can and I will. This is where my legend begins!
Meeting with Eir and the climb to the plateau:
- Eir: Hail to the finest hunters of the season!
- Eir: Follow me if you dare -- and ready yourselves for battle!
- Show Leopard Shaman: May Snow Leopard grant you swiftness and grace.
- Raven Shaman: May Raven bless you with the vision to see and the wisdom to understand.
- Wolf Shaman: Walk with the pack. In the eyes of the Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.
- Bear Shaman: Battle with the strength of Bear.
- Habel Icebreaker: What a hunt! I heard about your victory. Very impressive!
- <Character Name>: Thank you. It was a hard-fought battle, and I'm proud of my part in it.
- Habel Icebreaker: An excellent beginning to your legend, friend. You know, a lot of folks around here have problems that need solving. A slayer like you could be a big help.
- Habel Icebreaker: Putting your skills to work sharpens them, and helping others wouldn't hurt your reputation, either! Think of the glory!
- <Character Name>: I will seek out these problems and solve them. Then we will see how my legend grows!
After reaching level 10, a mail will be received.
If your chosen quality is strength to defeat ancient foes
If your chosen quality is cunning to protect the Spirits
If your chosen quality is intuition to guard the Mists
- Any kills made during/in this quest/area do not count towards your character's daily kill counts as seen under the Hero window ( ).
- You can kill all 3 of the available 'mini-bosses' during this area. Even if you kill more than one, it is unclear which trophy is the one presented to Ido.
- During the original beta builds, all three beasts were to be defeated before presenting them to Ido.