Junk items are trophies that mostly drop from slain enemies and have no utility other than being sold for coin at merchants. Junk items can be identified by grey colored text in the item's tooltip. They cannot be salvaged and will stack with themselves. All junk items are soulbound to the character upon pickup.
Some crafted bags, such as Oiled Packs, will fill with junk items before other items if possible.
Vendors with a Sell tab have a button in that tab to quickly sell all Junk that is stored in inventory bags that do not hide their contents.
List of junk items
Most junk items dropped from enemies are split between 3 different tiers, similar to the manner crafting materials and salvage items, allowing stronger enemies of the same type drop different and more valuable loot.
These junk item tiers often have similar names (or even the same name, such as Hoof), but are worth different prices.
There's also several untiered junk items:
- Blue Wurm Husk (dropped by Summoned Winds)
- Chunk of Crabmeat (dropped by crabs)
- Dolyak Sinew (rarely dropped by dolyaks and stags)
- Lump of Desert Wurmwax (dropped by wildlife in Elona)
- White Mantle Badge (dropped by enemies with ties to the White Mantle)
- Wilted Spore (dropped by plants in Elona)
Junk is also present in the drop tables of many containers, usually those with randomized content.
- Black Lion Commemorative Coin (found in Black Lion Chests)
- Bottle of Rum
- Bottle of Rum (found in Salvaged Debris)
- Broken Lockpick
- Embellished White Mantle Badge (found in Executioner's Coin Purses)
- Pile of Exalted Dust (found in Glowing Stones)
- Pile of Glittery Garbage (found in Mysterious Grubby Packages)
- Pile of Liquified Goo
- Pile of Mold
- Unidentifiable Object
- Wad of Slimy Fungus
- Wrecked Wintersday Ornament (found in Mysterious Grubby Packages)
These are obtained when opening ecto gambling containers. The amount received is usually just enough refund a fraction of the coin spent, but there's a very rare chance to receive larger amounts of them.
- The various documents that can be obtained from a Cracked Fractal Encryption.
- Items obtained from the various daily fractal chests
- Dandelion Blossom (from gathering plant nodes)
- Lentil-Like Stone (from gathering Lentils)
- Mushed Spore Sample (from gathering Toxic Seedlings)
- Ruined items
These items are given as a result of using low level gathering tools on a higher level node.
Event and renown heart trophies
While most trophies with a value related to events and renown hearts are items of Basic rarity, some of them are junk.
- Black Summoning Stone
- Blue Summoning Stone
- Red Summoning Stone
- Sons of Svanir Battle Plans
- Encrypted Message
These items are obtained in events, chests and containers thorough Elonian content, including those in PvP and WvW reward tracks. They are sold for much more coin than other junk items and have flavor text in their descriptions.
- Crystal Oasis
- Amnoon Numismatic Catalogue
- Caravan Accounting Records
- Cowrie League Caravan's Scales
- Inaccurate Caravanserai Map
- Small Tin Coffeepot
- Desert Highlands
- Climbing Piton, Never Used
- "Legendary" Backpack Buckle Prong
- Tarnished Compass
- Tiny Brandshard
- Stained Tent Canvas
- Elon Riverlands
- The Desolation
- Faulty Rebreather
- Forged Weapon Mold
- Fossilized Wurm Spoor
- Questionable Mine Claim
- Heap of Sulphurous Slag
- Domain of Vabbi
- Barrel of Jahin White
- Flask of Vabbian Red
- Imperial Cask of Djinnspit
- Magnum of Mehtu's Mead
- Bottle of Sahlahjar's Choice
- Broken Spoon (replaces other spoon drops after being obtained for the Koutalophile achievement)
- Completed Shining Blade Bounty Notice (reward for completing Justice of the Blade bounties)
- Shiny Bauble (earned as map bonus rewards)
- Crystallized Ley-Energy (daily bonus when defeating the Legendary Ley-Line Anomaly) and rare reward for completing events in Cantha
- Ruined Chak Enzyme (drops from chak during The Way In if the account doesn't have Nuhoch Hunting unlocked)
- Deleted Item
- Trophies that only drop once for collection achievements.
- Basic Collections: Trash Collector — Collect these 51 junk items throughout Tyria. (3)
- Basic Collections: Seeker of Lost Homework — Collect 21 junk items from Fractal Encryptions awarded in the Fractals of the Mists. (5)
- Isaiah Cartwright, an ArenaNet employee, said that they decided to have junk items in Guild Wars 2 because they add some flavor to the game in that the junk items you get correspond to the the loot your foe dropped, giving you a sense of where you've been and what you've done.
- ^ Interview mit Izzy Cartwright - Guild Wars 2 @ gamescom 2011 [HD], interview with Isaiah Cartwright at gamescom 2011