User:Lucian Shadowborn/Other Pages/Ranger
Good dog! Hold the enemy down while I shoot them! You get a biscuit!
Rangers are proficient with the bow. They rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature to slay their targets. Their loyal pets, which rangers tame and train, distract enemies while the rangers strike safely from a distance.
— In-game description
The ranger is a nature-themed adventurer profession which combines their use of pets with mobile combat and a focus on ranged attacks. The ranger can use a wide variety of weapons, but they tend to favor bows. Their repertoire of utility skills focuses on pet buffs, traps and spirits of nature.
The unique profession ability for the ranger is their three named, controllable pets. Most of the time a ranger only has access to one of their pets, but they can swap them outside of combat or through the use of utility skills. Rangers have been announced to have a utility skill which allows stealth.
A pet's level is based on its owner's level, which determines base attack, armor, and health. In addition to this, each pet has an evolution level, which advances if that pet is active while its owner gains experience. Pets start out with no pet skill slots but, as they gain evolution levels, up to four pet skill slots become available. A pet's equippable skills are based on its specific pet type.
Rangers have a special user interface element for controlling their pets that provides simple behavioral modes and direct commands for their pets, but they cannot directly command their pets' skill usage.
Special skill types
- Chains — three skills that share a single skill slot, which are executed in sequence on a single target.
- Preparations — apply a preparation to a weapon to change its abilities.
- Spirit skills — summon a nature spirit that influences the area around it.
- Traps — utility skills that can be placed at a ranger's current location. When an enemy enters a trap, it is triggered.
The ranger is an adventurer profession and they will use medium armor.
- Axe — The ranger can enter a stance to reflect incoming strikes or throw the axe for a boomerang effect.
- Dagger — Used as a crippling ranged attack, or a quick poisonous stab for melee.
- Torch — The ranger can throw the torch at enemies for burning damage, or can light areas on fire which can ignite arrows passing through.
- Warhorn — Call in temporary animals to attack or used to buff allies.
A ranger has eleven possible weapon combinations. A ranger has 2 weapon sets and is able to switch quickly between them.
- Ranger on the official website.