Structured PvP is a Player versus Player mode which allows competition on an even footing. All Structured PvP activities are reachable via the Heart of the Mists. There are two primary modes of play: tournament and hot join play.
Any character used to enter structured PvP retains their profession, however any race specific skills are not accessible. The character is given a fixed maximum level, and all skills and items are available without the need to unlock them first. Scores are tracked on the scoreboard. Player statistics are tracked and used to generate a player ranking.
Unlike WvW, structured PvP doesn't grant rewards usable in PvE (with an exception of bags and dyes that are shared between PvP and PvE on a character). Instead, players earn glory and rank which are used to obtain differently looking gear for use only in structured PvP.
There are several different maps for structured PvP, all of which are conquest, although other objective types are planned for the future.
Tournaments are matches or sets of matches with teams created before the tournament starts. Teams are always comprised of 5 players. Unlike in hot join play (see below), you cannot join a tournament after the match has started. You can create a roster before joining a tournament, allowing you to customize your team and coordinate before the match, or you can join solo, allowing you to jump in to a team that still needs more members.
 2-Team Quick Tournaments
2-Team tournaments are single round tournaments that are played on a single map which changes on Tuesdays and Fridays. The winner recieves a Match Win Reward Chest, 200 rank points, and 200 glory, in addition to any rank points and glory gained during the match.
 Hot join play
Hot join play uses a game selection system similar to many first-person shooter games which allows individuals or groups to join a game based on map and available space. It uses team sizes of either 5vs5 or 8vs8. In hot join play, you can join matches already in progress, so the number of players per team can change over the course of the match as people join or leave. The game tries to keep teams even using autobalancing.
Games can be joined by finding the PvP Browser NPC by going through the Heart of the Mists which takes you to the Hall of Memories, the PvP waiting area. The WvW Asura gate hub in Lion's Arch has a gate that leads to the Heart of the Mists, and the PvP window will allow you to travel to the Heart of the Mists. The PvP Browser NPC will show a list of current games.
Players are matched based on a similar amount of total glory earned. 
 Game modes
- Battle of Kyhlo
- Forest of Niflhel
- Legacy of the Foefire
- Raid on the Capricorn
- Spirit Watch
- Temple of the Silent Storm
The PvP reward system has a two-tier reward structure that involves glory and rank.
Glory is a currency that players can spend on reward chests filled with random loot, while rank is a measurement of your total accumulated glory. As your rank increases, you unlock new tiers of reward chests, and thus access to more impressive looking equipment.
All PvP rewards are account bound, and can be stored in a collection in your PvP Locker. This means that even if you obtain items which your current character cannot equip, you can store it for later use.
- The sPvP servers are not tied to a specific world. From the lobby you can actually get teamed up with or against players from other worlds.
- Structured PvP uses items that are not useable in PvE or WvW.
- There used to be paid tournaments, which required tournament tickets to join and included gem rewards for winning teams. These were eliminated in favor of free 2-team tournaments in the February 26th 2013 update, which also introduced a vendor that lets players exchange left-over tournament tickets for reward chests.
- 8-team Free Tournaments were disabled as of the 28th of March.
 See also
- ^ Guild Wars 2 Interview Part 1: Fighting Fires, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- ^ About lore and mechanics with Eric Flannum: GuildWars.pl Exclusive, GuildWars2.pl
- ^ 30-Minute Preview with Jonathan Sharp, GameInformer
- ^ Kotaku Live Q&A