Gather supply to hire soldiers. Battle for control of heroes. Man the trebuchet to defend your stronghold, and storm the enemy gates to defeat the guild lord!
Stronghold is a structured PvP game mode, introduced in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns. The objective of the game mode is to find and kill the enemy's Lord in their stronghold and, along the way, fight for and gather supplies.
List of stronghold maps
- 250 points are awarded for a lord kill and the team is victorious
- 50 points are awarded for each gate destroyed
- 20 points are awarded for each channeled hero
- 10 points are awarded for each inner guard killed
- 5 points are awarded for each doorguard killed
- 5 points are awarded for each player kill
- Lords — Each team's stronghold has a Lord. Defeating an enemy lord will grant victory to a team.
- Gates — Strongholds are defended by gates. Each gate is immune to player attacks and require allied NPCs to be destroyed.
- Guards — Defend the stronghold against enemies. Guards do not respawn once defeated.
- The Supply Piles in the center of the map offer supply to players who interact with it.
- Each Supply Pile holds a maximum of 2 supply and is refreshed every 15 seconds.
- Defeating a player carrying supply will cause them to drop it, allowing anyone to pick it up.
- Behind Enemy Lines causes the defeated player to drop 2 supply when within the enemy stronghold regardless of the amount of supply previously collected by the player.
- Offensive lane — The team's offensive lane is used to push to the enemy gates and lord. Use supply on the barracks to hire allies to assist in this lane.
- Doorbreaker Barracks summons Door Breakers that do not attack other units but deal a large amount of damage to gates. Enemy guards kill them instantly on contact.
- Archer Barracks summons Archers that attack other units and deal a small amount of damage to gates. Does considerable damage to enemy guards but very little to players and Lords.
- Defensive lane — The team's defensive lane is used to defend against the enemy's attacking force.
- If a game goes to time (0:00) and a lord is engaged, the game will not end. It will continue on until one of the following conditions has been met:
- A lord is stomped
- Both lords are out of combat
- Overtime lasts longer than 6 (-6:00) minutes
Note: the lords are often out of combat even while under attack causing overtime not to trigger in many cases when it should
Mist essence appears during matches and can be used to summon powerful mist champions to help teams.
- Mist essence takes 30 seconds to become active and allow players to channel mist champions. Channeling a mist champion takes 10 seconds and can be interrupted.
- Mist champions will focus on objectives, ignoring fights in lanes until it has reached the furthest point that the team has progressed to.
- The mist essence is located on both sides. The first mist essence activates on the side of the team that is behind in points and is then chosen randomly.
- One side can have both mist champions active at the same time.
- If the mist champion(s) survive long enough it is possible for a side to have more than 2 at once.
- Each mist champion has a unique set of abilities.
- War Cry: a powerful ability used when summoned
- Passive: an effect granted to nearby allies
- Elite: a powerful ability used inside the lord's room
Sometimes the mist champions will teleport back to their starting position upon reaching the inner gate and wait for a time until eventually continuing from it's new position
The trebuchets are used to deal large amounts of area damage and remove stability. Each team has a trebuchet and they can be rebuilt with supply once destroyed.
- Stronghold is inspired by Guild versus Guild and Fort Aspenwood game modes.
- Stronghold beta tests were available to players.