User:Lucian Shadowborn/Other Pages/Elementalist
Fire, Air, Earth and Water. I can deal death with any of them.
Elementalists have harnessed Tyria's natural forces. Their powers of destruction are drawn from an affinity with the four elements that make up the world. They conjure air, fire, earth, or water to assault their enemies.
— In-game description
The elementalist is a spell casting, scholar profession, who is able to attune at will to the different elements to change the spells they have available to cast. The elementalist can cast fire to damage multiple enemies at once, wind and lightning as powerful focused damage, water to hinder enemies' movement and earth to increase their own defense.
The elementalist has the unique ability to attune to different elements using special skills. There are four attunement skills in total, representing the elements of fire, air, earth and water. When one of these attunement skills is activated, the first five skills on the skill bar change to reflect the action. These attunement skills can be used in combat, allowing players to effectively switch from four different sets of skills. The flexibility of switching between attunements means that the elementalist is restricted to only one weapon set in combat.
Special spell types
- Glyphs — These arcane spells enhance or modify the natural power of the elementalist. For example, Glyph of Elemental Power increases the damage, range, and duration of their spells.
- Signets — Signets provide an ongoing benefit to the elementalist, but can also be activated for a greater effect. An elementalist equipped with the Signet of Earth has increased damage resistance, but activating the Signet sends out a wave of stone, stunning nearby enemies.
- Conjure spells — The elementalist uses conjure spells to summon useful items and potent weapons that they or other party members can use. For instance, they can use Conjure Flame to create a fiery rock to hurl at the enemy.
- Area spells — Using area spells, the elementalist creates hazards and mayhem all over the field of battle. The elementalist fires lava arrows in a cone-shaped blast or creates walls of fire that scorch any enemies passing through.
The elementalist has one general trait line: Arcanum. They have lines for each attunement: Earth Mastery, Air Mastery, Water Mastery, and Fire Mastery. They also have lines for each of the weapons they can wield. An elementalist might find traits through the study of ancient tomes or particularly powerful elemental locations.
The elementalist is a scholar profession and will thus use light armor.
- Staff - Focuses on slow, long ranged spells.
- Focus - Provides powerful close ranged abilities.
- Dagger - Provides powerful medium ranged abilities.
Although the elementalist has access to only one weapon set during combat, they effectively have the ability to switch between four different skill sets using attunement skills. There are five possible combinations of weapon sets for elementalists - twenty when attunements are incorporated - allowing for diversity among elementalist playstyles.
- Elementalist on the official website.