This is Finn. I programmed him to be a fast learner, but I guess he adopted too much of Chul-Moo's management style.
— Zhou Yao in On the Case
Finn is one of Zhou Yao's personal Jade Mechs. He is programmed to be a fast learner, and he likes to receive compliments and be of use. Finn's auxiliary bot, referred to as an inspection drone, has been outfitted with tech that allows the user to take remote control of it.
In 1845 CC (1335 AE), Zhou Yao entered Gyala Delve to investigate strange phenomena encountered by the Jade Brotherhood who were mining there. Yao had named a Jade Mech Finn and programmed him to be a fast learner to help with the investigation. However, Finn turned out to be too effective as he learned the abrasive management style of Jade Brotherhood leader Park Chul-Moo and went haywire. The Pact Commander intervened just in time to power down Finn before the mech could hurt Yao or Brotherhood operative Ari.
Yao was able to fix Finn's programming, turning him into a valuable asset to the team as they began investigating the deeper parts of the delve in earnest in the company of the Commander, Gorrik, and Detective Rama. Finn's inspection drone helped the Commander identify weak spots in a wall and planted charges to blow it up and allow the party to continue the descent into the Deep. Yao complimented Finn for a job well done, cheering up the mech. After battling subterranean horrors and discovering a Ley-Line Nexus deep within, Finn created a zip line which the party could use to cross over to the central platform next to the nexus.
They were suddenly ambushed by what appeared like a ragged man but who quickly turned out to be an oni, a demonic creature whose kind had terrorized the Jade Sea in particular centuries ago. The oni appeared to multiply although Gorrik theorized that it was using illusions to deceive their senses. To divide the oni's attention, the party split up between three platforms and began fighting it. When Rama got hurt fighting the oni, Yao sent Finn to shield him. Although the party were able to weaken the oni, it began healing itself with the ley line, forcing the party to retreat back to the mining camp to discuss what they had experienced and try to figure out how to draw the oni away from the ley line to kill it.
Finn also took part in an excursion into the Deep in the company of Chul-Moo, Gorrik, Rama, and Yao to reclaim the Jade Brotherhood's lost bases, put down Chul-Moo's maddened lieutenants, and face the oni in battle again.
- Gyala Delve (During related events only)
End of Dragons story
- Chapter 16: What Lies Beneath
- Delve into the haze
- Gather around to hear Chul-Moo's request (80) [Group Event]
- Capture the Jadepillar Point base (80) [Group Event]
- Escort Yao deeper into the mines (80) [Group Event]
- Defeat Mal-Chin! (80) [Group Event]
- Defeat the oni blasphemer (80) [Group Event]
- Head Deeper into the Mine (80) [Group Event]
- Defeat the ravenous wanderer (80) [Group Event]
- Target Lock
- ^ On the Case
- Yao: This is Finn. I programmed him to be a fast learner, but I guess he adopted too much of Chul-Moo's management style.
- Ari: We told Chul-Moo: positive reinforcement. Lasted about fifteen minutes. Then he went back to his usual abrasive self. [...]
- Story journal: Once I powered the mech down, Yao reprogrammed it and filled me in on some rumors.
- ^ a b Deep Trouble
- Inspection drone: Finn's auxiliary bot has been outfitted with tech that allows the user to take remote control of it. [...]
- <Character name>: Your mech seems more agreeable now.
- Yao: A little turn-up, and Finn's back to his old self after deprogramming some...learned behaviors... [...]
- Yao: Finn, can you get us across?
- Finn: Activating: gap-traversal device. [...]
- Yao: Finn, shield Rama! Quick!
- Finn: Defense engaged. The "Rama" has been shielded.