Fractals of the Mists
|It has been suggested that this article be split into articles entitled Fractals of the Mists and Fractals of the Mists (explorable). (discuss)|
Fractals of the Mists
The dungeon has some unique mechanics and design. The party must choose the difficulty scale prior to entering the dungeon. This difficulty scale starts at 1 and can be increased. The personal reward level tracks the current position of the character on the difficulty scale. To increase the personal reward level, and therefore the highest fractal scale accessible by the character, the character must complete a set of fractals on a fractal scale equal to their personal reward level. This provides progression in the dungeon, allowing players to continuously complete higher and higher levels on the difficulty scale and greater rewards as a result.
When entering the dungeon, the players arrive in Mistlock Observatory, a "hub" area within the Mists. Entering Mistlock, you'll meet Dessa, a scientist who has made explorable chunks of reality from the Mists. There are hostile elements that were acquired during Mistlock which you are asked to dispose of. You may begin by entering the portal within the Mistlock to enter a fractal. You will hear Dessa's voice while stabilizing the fractal. Once it is stabilized, she and her krewe will transport you to the next one. Eventually, you'll be looped back to the Mistlock.
 Introduction letter
 Getting there
 Difficulty scale
Fractals of the Mists uses a difficulty scale in contrast to the story and explorable modes of dungeons.
- Your personal reward level increases by one each time you complete an entire run at a difficulty scale equal or greater than your personal level.
- Whoever enters the hub may choose the difficulty level, which can be up to the highest level of any member of the current party.
- Increased personal levels offer increased rewards, even if the run is at a lower difficulty level. Higher difficulty levels offer greater challenges and higher chances of better rewards, from foes, from chests, and from bonus chests.
- Standard changes at higher difficulty levels
- Standard foes spawn in greater numbers and at higher ranks, e.g. more veterans.
- Some foes will gain new abilities, e.g. in the Uncategorized Fractal, the harpies start to knock players back.
- Major changes at different tiers
Fractals include more substantial changes at level 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50, so players also refer to difficulty "tiers," e.g. tier 0 includes levels 1-9 and tier 1 covers 10-19.
- New items begin dropping at higher tiers; other items begin dropping more frequently.
- New challenges are added at new tiers:
 Mistlock Observatory
Mistlock Observatory serves as the hub area for the dungeon; it offers armor repairs, a merchant, and a token vendor for relics. A portal in the center of the area can be used to access the fractals; this requires confirmation from all players in the party.
Each difficulty scale requires the completion of four consecutive fractals, the fourth of which is called a boss fractal. The fractals are randomly selected from a small set: the first fractal tends to be easier than the second, which is usually considered easier than the third.
- Aquatic Ruins, Swampland, Urban Battlegrounds, Uncategorized.
- Uncategorized, Snowblind, Urban Battlegrounds, Molten Furnance, Cliffside.
- Aetherblade, Volcanic, Thaumanova Reactor, Underground Facility, Cliffside.
- (Boss fractal): Solid Ocean Fractal, Molten Boss Fractal or Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal.
Each fractal has its own story and environment. After stablizing the current fractal, each player must click a confirmation button before Dessa will transport the party to the next. After completing all four fractals, the party will be returned to the Mistlock Observatory and the difficulty scale will increase by one.
- Differences with dungeons
- There are no waypoints. If any party member dies, they must wait to be revived by their party or for the rest of the party to get out-of-combat (ooc), at which point any defeated member is given the option to teleport back to the most recently completed checkpoint (or to leave the fractal entirely).
- There are no repair stations. You can use an Instant Repair Canisters, spare armor sets, or return to the character selection screen and restart (returning you to Lion's Arch, where you can repair or use other services before returning). Alternatively, some players remove their armor before entering certain areas in which they are likely to break their armor.
- Primary article: Agony
Agony plays a role in fractals at level 10 or higher; the amount of damage inflicted increases substantially at levels 20, 30, 40, and 50. Outside the boss fractals, agony is inflicted as part of an enemy attack, allowing one to completely avoid agony by preventing or otherwise evading such attacks. Bosses in the three boss fractals inflict unavoidable agony.
 Mistlock Instability
- Primary article: Mistlock Instability
Mistlock Instabilities are special modifiers that have various effects on players and their party’s journey through the Fractals of the Mists. These can be anything from simple conditions to insidious extra creature attacks. This debuff starts at Fractal level 31. Every following level has its own Mistlock Instability.
|Area||Description||Sigils & potions||Day or Night||Fractal #|
|Mistlock Observatory||Main hub for Fractals of the Mists; entry point from the asura gate in Lion's Arch||No foes||Day||[na]|
|Aquatic Ruins Fractal||Defeat the Giant Jellyfish as you fend off krait while navigating as a dolphin or exploring the dark depths||Krait||Day||1|
|Cliffside Fractal||Break the seals of the Colossus with the Cultist Hammer||Bandit||Day||2, 3|
|Snowblind Fractal||Fight the Sons of Svanir and protect against frostbite by lighting fires||Elemental, Sons of Svanir||Night||2|
|Swampland Fractal||Three wisps event puzzle, defeat Bloomhunger or the Mossman||[na]||Night||1|
|Underground Facility Fractal||Encounter dredge, solve the pressure plate puzzle, and defeat Dredge Powersuit or Ice Elemental||Dredge, Elemental||Night||3|
|Urban Battlegrounds Fractal||Transform into a Flame Legion Charr and fight the Ascalonians||[na]||Day||1, 2|
|Volcanic Fractal||Avoid the lava as you encounter grawl while trying to defeat the Grawl Shaman||Grawl, Elemental||Night||3|
|Uncategorized Fractal||Complete the Raving Asura's jumping puzzle.||Bandit3, Ogre3, Flame Legion3||Day||1, 2|
|Thaumanova Reactor Fractal||Contain the meltdown of the Thaumanova Reactor||Icebrood, Inquest, Flame Legion, Bandit||3|
|Molten Furnace Fractal||Gain entrance into the Molten Furnace and survive the Molten Alliance weapon tests.||Dredge, Flame Legion||2|
|Aetherblade Fractal||Make your way through the security system to gain access to the secret Aetherblade base.||Bandit||Day||3|
|Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal||Defeat Mai Trin.||Bandit||Day||4|
|Molten Boss Fractal||Defeat the leaders of the Molten Alliance.||Dredge3, Flame Legion3||Day||4|
|Solid Ocean Fractal||Defeat the Jade Maw.||[na]||Night||4|
- 1 Foe types are listed for those interested in using appropriate nourishment and/or sigils.
- 2 Sigil of the Night is effective in the fractals that are in permanent nighttime, including the Solid Ocean fractal with the Jade Maw.
- 3 There is only a single foe of this type in the fractal.
Monsters within Fractals of the Mists drop items and equipment equivalent to level 80 monsters of the same type. Additionally, Ascended quality items such as Vial of Condensed Mists Essence have a random chance of dropping. At the conclusion of each fractal is a boss fight similar to other dungeon bosses. Defeating this boss rewards players with a large chest that can contain rare and exotic loot as well as a guaranteed quantity of Fractal Relics which can be traded with BUY-4373 in the observatory. Reward chests from scale 10 and onwards will include the chance to drop Ascended items. It is generally believed that the higher the tier of the fractal, the better the drops (i.e. Difficulty 1-9, 10-19, or 20-29). Account-bound exotics drop in Fractals as well.
Similar to explorable dungeons, a player account can receive a daily reward chest for completing a boss fractal. This daily reward chest includes a Bag of Coins (which contains 2 to 4 silver), a number of Fractal Relics, a chance at a bonus Ascended or Fractal item depending on the tier, and a Pristine Fractal Relic.
For each player, rewards are based on the minimum between the selected Fractal Difficulty Scale and the player's Personal Reward Level. Also, players running at Fractal Scales lower than their own will receive bonus karma at the end of round. The consequence is that playing at a scale higher than one's level increases difficulty but not rewards, while playing at a lower scale decreases difficulty and rewards, but gives karma in exchange.
Completing a bonus fractal will award the player with a "bonus" chest. This can be obtained for each tier of Fractal Difficuly Scale below or containing the player's personal reward level.
 Personal Reward Levels
- The level of your personal reward will increase by 1 each time a fractal difficulty scale is completed at or above your current reward level.
- Completing a fractal difficulty scale below your personal reward level awards you karma, based on the following formula:
(640 + 8 * Completed difficulty) * (Personal reward level - Completed difficulty)= Karma awarded
(Personal reward level - Completed difficulty)factor is capped at 10.
- All bonuses (from achievements, banners etc.) are applied to the Karma reward.
 Daily Chest Rewards
|Tier||Difficulty Range||Fractal Relics||Pristine Fractal Relic||Possible Bonus|
|1||11-20||25||Ascended Ring (non-Infused), Ascended weapon|
|2||21-30||30||Ascended Ring (non-Infused), Ascended Ring (Infused), Fractal Weapon, Ascended weapon|
|3||31-40||35||Ascended Ring (non-Infused), Ascended Ring (Infused), Fractal Weapon, Ascended weapon|
|4||41-50||40||Ascended Ring (non-Infused), Ascended Ring (Infused), Fractal Weapon, Ascended weapon|
 Boss Chest Relics
|Scale||per fractal (4x for a full run)|
 Ascended Crafting Materials
Certain crafting materials can only be obtained as random loot from foes in the Fractals of the Mists; unlike the above rewards, these drop from killing ordinary enemies, not for completing fractals. Each has a minimum difficulty scale at which it can appear.
|Scales||Ascended Crafting Materials|
|1+||Vial of Condensed Mists Essence|
|10+||Glob of Coagulated Mists Essence|
|20+||Shard of Crystallized Mists Essence|
- Skills that block Projectiles, as well as Reflect and Blind skills are very important in the Fractals of the Mists, as almost all Fractals have multiple enemies that use ranged attacks and skills.
- Skills that provide Stability and skills that remove Conditions are very useful during many encounters in the Fractals of the Mists. Be prepared to switch skills often before different encounters.
- Most fractals are designed for more than one person. For instance, you need at least three to complete the Underground Facility.
- Despite similarities to dungeons, completing a fractal does not count for Monthly Dungeon Participation and does not award influence to your guild.
- Personal fractal reward level is account based; it is not per character.
- Rewards, including bonus ones, are determined by your personal reward level. For example, a character whose personal reward level is 8 but completes a fractal at difficulty scale 12 will have no chance to win rings or weapons.
- Fractals of the Mists was introduced as part of the Lost Shores release (November 16th, 2012).
- 3 new fractals and 2 new boss fractals were introduced as part of Fractured release (November 26th 2013). These are Thaumanova Reactor Fractal, Aetherblade Fractal, Molten Furnace Fractal, Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal and the Molten Boss Fractal
- ^ The Right Potion for Each Fractal, a Reddit post discussing foe types.
- ^ The Right Potion for Each Fractal, a Reddit post discussing foe types.