A bundle is a special type of object which, when acquired, provides its own set of skills.
Bundles and environmental weapons can usually be found and picked up in the game world, or obtained from NPCs during events. They cannot be stored in your inventory, although some merchants sell consumable items which can be stored, which provide you with an environmental weapon when used, such as the underwater net.
Examples of bundles include eggs that provide beneficial effects or can be thrown at enemies, buckets of water picked up and used to douse a fire or awaken a drunkard, wooden planks, tree branches or broken and empty bottles used as weapons or to stun or launch an enemy. Asura inventors all over Tyria also frequently invite adventurers to test their experimental weapons during events. Some weapons, like the Frying Pan, provide entertaining effects, and many provide a way to experience a specific real skill or effect which may not be available to your profession, such as leaping, stunning, knocking back or throwing a net at an enemy.
When picked up or otherwise obtained, a bundle replaces the currently equipped weapon's skills with its own set of skills, without actually replacing the weapon itself in the hero panel. Your weapon will become unusable until you either swap weapons or drop the bundle, but you will continue to benefit from any bonuses your equipped weapons provide.
Most environmental weapons and bundles have usage limitations such as being usable only once or having a limited lifetime, disappearing if you wander out of the area where they are meant to be used or having a chance of breaking when their skills are activated. Swimming with a bundle equipped will mostly cause it to be lost. In most cases, dropping an environmental weapon using its dedicated skill or swapping weapons will destroy it, although some weapons are static and will remain on the ground when dropped or when being downed.
Environmental weapons and bundles are available to some professions as part of their regular skills or profession mechanic:
- An engineer's kits are bundles that they can take out and stow at any time. These kits act as a replacement to weapon swapping for them since they only have access to one weapon set instead of two. For an engineer, dropping a bundle has the same effect as stowing the kit.
- Elementalists can conjure elemental weapons having their own sets of skills.
- Warriors have banners that provide supportive effects when carried or planted and also provide skills when carried.
- Thieves have the steal attack, which provides them with a skill to use depending on the target.
- Improvisation - You can use stolen items twice. One random skill category is immediately recharged when you steal.