From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
The chat panel allows you to send messages to other players, communicate with large groups, and displays various in-game messages in real-time.
|Shortcut||Command||Channel activated||Seen by...||Color|
||Map||Current Map||pale red|
|Team||Active team (WvW & sPvP only)||bright red|
||Private|| Sends private message
/r replies to last whisper name
|NPCs||Lime green and gray||Dialogue from nearby NPCs.|
|Combat||White and gray||Incoming and outgoing damage, healing and interrupts.|
|Emotes||Gray||Displays emotes used by players or NPCs. Emotes used by an NPC on a player character usually appear only on that player's chat log.|
|Game messages||Yellow-green||Items obtained, friend list updates, story messages, etc.|
|System messages||Chartreuse||Looking For Group tool messages, screenshots saved.|
|Error messages||Red||Error messages such as "Inventory full", "skill recharging", "Cannot use waypoint while in combat", etc...|
|Server messages||Yellow||Messages provided by the server that cannot be hidden on any panel, such as warnings regarding game updates and map status messages such as those from meta events.|
- One chat line is limited to 199 characters.
- The chat panel can save up to 5 tabs.
- If you send messages too frequently (unspecified), subsequent messages will be blocked for an undetermined (and possibly variable) length of time with "Your message was suppressed due to excessive messaging." displayed in your chat window.
- Trial accounts can not use /map chat.
- Trial accounts can only whisper players who have added the trial account holder to their friend list.