From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
Before Bazaar of the Four Winds
- Welcome to my Trading Company! I am Evon Gnashblade, and have new stock arriving all the time! I aim to flank, encircle, and eliminate the competition!
What is the Black Lion Trading Company"?
- It is the ultimate trading machine! We have available a trading post, a currency exchange, and a gem store!
Tell me about your trading post.
- We allow you to buy and sell the spoils of battle with other adventurers! No merchant middlemen! Talk to my traders on the main floor!
- Interesting. Can I ask you something else?
- I think I will. Thank you for your time.
Tell me about your gem store.
- I carry unusual items for adventurers. Costumes! Minis! Keys! Dyes! Boosters! A cornucopia for the well-traveled hero! All available for a reasonable amount of gems!
- Coinage is malleable, but gems, ah, they are eternal! You may purchase gems with coins of many lands!
- Curious. Can I ask you something else?
- Many lands you say? Thank you.
Tell me about your currency exchange.
- Ah, it is a thing of beauty. You can exchange gems for gold, or gold for gems. The gems can be used in our gem store.
- Thanks for the information. May I ask something else?
- Thank you. I will be sure to check it out.
What's your goal with this company?
- I intend to dominate the marketing battlefield and deliver the finest and most unique items to my customers
You do this by yourself?
- I have trustworthy traders throughout Tyria, along with my aide-de-camp, a sylvari named Sareb. Look for our banners!
- (If a sylvari)
- I have trustworthy traders throughout Tyria, along with my aide-de-camp, Sareb. She's Sylvari, like you. Look for our banners!
- Interesting. Can I ask something else?
- I may have seen her on the way in. Thanks.
Is it odd that a charr is running a trading company?
- Nay! The same principles apply to both trade and combat! A stout heart and sufficient supplies will always carry the day! I love the smell of commerce in the morning!
- I bet it smells like victory. Can I ask something else?
- Interesting philosophy. Good luck with that.
- That's an aggressive sales pitch. I wish you well.
During Bazaar of the Four Winds
- In Strangers from the Sky
- Primary article: Strangers from the Sky
- At Labyrinthine Cliffs
- So glad to see you. We've met before, right? I never forget a face.
How's the trade agreement coming along?
- I'm working on getting into their good graces. Running the Black Lion Trading Company means never having to say you're sorry. These humans are sensitive. I'm exercising my charm muscles.
- Good luck.
- Me either.
During Cutthroat Politics
- In Audience with the Master
- Primary article: Audience with the Master
- Speaking to Captain Gnashblade in Bazaar Docks
- You're talking to the right candidate, my friend. I'm horns and shoulders above Ellen Kiel. How about a game of Southsun Survival? Feeling lucky?
- I'm ready to survive!
Remind me of your promises?
- I'll discount Black Lion Chest Keys for four weeks, research the fall of Abaddon for the Fractals, and dig into the secrets behind the Molten Alliance and Aetherblade pirates! And lastly, I'll sponsor a weekly rotation of Southsun Survival, Sanctum Sprint, Keg Brawl, and Crab Toss games to keep things exciting!
- Sounds fun.
- (If asura)
- I like your attitude.
- (If charr)
- For the legions.
- (If human)
- Gods protect you.
- (If norn)
- Spirits guide you.
- (If sylvari)
- If only the Pale Tree could see me now.
After Cutthroat Politics
- I thought the candidate who spent the most gold always wins. I was robbed!
- If you say so.
- I tell ya, things haven't been right since that mouse Kiel lucked into that council seat.
- (If you voted for Gnashblade)
Gnashblade, tough luck about the election. If it matters, I voted for you.
- Hey, I don't blame you. You're savvy. You know you voted for the right guy. (sigh) But that Kiel, she's gonna get everyone in this town killed one day.
Bold statement. How?
- Kiel's playing in the Mists while her leash-holder, Magnus, has the best Lionguard out in Caledon Forest. We're undefended here.
What's the danger?
- Once, I'd say the karka, but we got bigger problems. Scarlet's out there somewhere. It's a matter of time before she punches Lion's Arch hard.
Lion's Arch is a tough city. It's been hit before. It'll still be standing.
- That ain't a winning business plan. A city can only take so much punishment before it falls. Magnus and his mouse Kiel will be the cause of it.
- Let's hope not.
- I need to go.
- Hey, I supported you, but that's a little extreme.
- (If you voted for Ellen)
Oh, Gnashblade. Looks like you got some free time ever since Kiel beat you fair and square.
- I hope you're happy with your idiot of a councilor. Don't come crying to me when she leads this city to ruin.
You're just sore she kicked your tail in the election.
- Stop being ignorant and pay attention. Kiel's boss, Magnus, has the best Lionguard out in Caledon Forest while she's playing in the Mists. We're undefended here.
Undefended from what?
- Where have you been? First, the karka hit. Then sky pirates killed a councilor in front of everyone. Now, Scarlet. That bag of crazy hasn't hit here yet, but she will.
- Lion's Arch can handle one person.
- This city will be fine.
- (If you voted for both)
If it matters, I voted for you. But then, I also voted for Kiel.
- Heh. Betting on both outcomes. Clever. Still, your bet's gonna backfire. Kiel's gonna get us all killed.
- And just how is she going to get me killed? (Same as "Bold statement. How?")
- I think I'll be fine.
- I'll take your word for it.
After Escape from Lion's Arch
- Most people would be alive if the council listened to me. But you got me out in one piece. Let me make it up to you with something from my private stocks.
- What do you have for sale?
- Something special? I'm in.
How are you doing out here?
- Better than most of my customers, who are dead thanks to those useless Lionguard. Any fahrar would have held the city better than those failures.
- My business is in tatters, and I'm surrounded by refugees who can't buy my stock. Yeah, my day is looking up.
- I'll be going now.
- I'll be going.
- Not right now.
Before Lion's Arch Reborn
- Ain't got time to talk. I got a business to run and competitors to crush. Scarlet's really done a number on trade in the city.
What's the business?
- Ehh, during the crisis, Kiel forced me to outfit the Lionguard with my stock. If I left, she'd have me shot on sight.
Sounds like bad blood between you two.
- She ain't fit to lead a parade, but most merchants went bankrupt after the attack. Whether Kiel knows it or not, she made me the top merchant in the city.
Before Lion's Arch Reborn
- Evon Gnashblade: There he is, the hero of the hour. So, my son, how did it go?
- Hero-Tron: Error: This—unit—is—not—your—offspring.
- Evon Gnashblade: It's a term of affection. Now, answer the question.
- Hero-Tron: For—this—unit's—service—during—Scarlet's—termination, this—unit—was—granted—amnesty—and—employment—with—the—Captain's—Council.
- Hero-Tron: This—unit—will—have—a—revenue—stream—to—repay—this—unit's—debt—to—you. Our—transaction—will—be—complete.
- Evon Gnashblade: Complete? Oh, no. No, not at all. I saw your ID number when I was installing the combat chassis before your rumble with Scarlet.
- Evon Gnashblade: Traced it back to the source. Consortium. Seems they ran into some trouble on Southsun a while back.
- Evon Gnashblade: Involuntary servitude. An unsafe workplace. Substandard living quarters. And at the center of it all, a little golem named Job-o-Tron.
- Evon Gnashblade: It'd be a shame if Magnus's new golden boy was linked to such nasty business. Why, with the situation in the city, well... They'd dismantle you.
- Evon Gnashblade: So keep on listening. And keep on coming back to me with all the juicy tidbits.
- Evon Gnashblade: And don't you dare cross me. You can run, but you'll never run far enough.