- This article is about the area in Metrica Province. For the fractal, see Thaumanova Reactor Fractal.
When the reactor blew, the world's fabric turned inside-out. Some things will never be the same.
The Thaumanova Reactor is a ruined asuran complex in northwest Metrica Province. It was destroyed recently in an Inquest experiment gone awry, when they were studying draconic energies (inaccurately believed to be more chaos magic by the Inquest) when the facility was designed to study actual chaos magic. The resulting explosion tore the fabric of reality, an attribute of chaos magic, and created chaos rifts teleporting creatures from across Tyria of the surrounding areas.
Unintentionally, the experiment helped the Inquest and their consultant identify the network of magical channels that criss-cross the globe known as ley lines. The complex itself was built on an intersection of these channels, causing the disaster. After the explosion, the energy source that the Inquest was experimenting on was moved to the Thaumacore Inquiry Center in Toxal Bog, causing the chaos effect to spread northward. The effects of the underground experiment also affected other areas such as Chaos Crystal Cavern in Iron Marches.
The site of the disaster is considered extremely dangerous, as it is full of chaotic materials and waste, on top of the aforementioned creatures teleported in at random. Additionally, the disaster seems to have divided the area up into five distinct sections, four of which hold ties to the elements of fire, ice, water, and vegetation - as well as a nearby cavern holding a Branded-looking crystal.
Locations and objectives
- Renown Hearts
- Help the C.L.E.A.N. krewe (15)
- Hero Challenges
- Ancient Elemental Fire Energy (15)
- Escort the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem while it absorbs clouds of chaos magic (14) [Group Event]
- Defend the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem (15) [Group Event]
- Destroy the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem stolen by the Inquest (15) [Group Event]
- Destroy the chaotic materials created by the reactor meltdown (15)
- Destroy the fire elemental created from chaotic energy fusing with the C.L.E.A.N. 5000's energy core (15) [Group Event]
- Destroy the ice monster (15)
- Destroy the misplaced aquatic creature (15)
- Destroy the misplaced poison creature (15)
- Defeat the misplaced steam ogre (18) [Group Event]
- Mini-jumping puzzles
- There are two short jumping puzzles associated with charging the Matrix Cube Key that is used to start the Defeat the misplaced steam ogre event.
- Chaos Shard
- Chaotic Material
- Concentrated Chaotic Radiation
- Matrix Cube Key
- Unstable Ice Formation
- Copper Ore/Rich Copper Vein
- Some of the crystals used in the creation of the experiment come from the Chaos Crystal Cavern in the Iron Marches. After the disaster, the remaining crystals at the excavation site began exhibiting a "twinning" effect, attracting chaos rifts to that region.
- Atop one of the South-East pillars of the reactor one can find engraved the text (translated from an asuran script):
We are the Asura, lords of the deep domains that are now denied to us. Overwhelmed by numbers, power, and brute force, we have been forced to this open sunfilled world and forced to recreate our civilisation. That we have succeeded is a testament to the indomitable spirit and innate intelligence of our people. In every day and with every invention we rebuild our world and bend reality to match our needs. The eternal alchemy states that everything is interwoven, that the actions of a single Asura (of) one experiment can have wider implications throughout the world. We are all part of (the eternal alchemy), whether as cogs, pistons, wheels, springs, or arcanic crystals. The ultimate goal in life to comprehend (the) greater purpose of the eternal alchemy, and to strive in perfecting it.
- The Thaumanova disaster bears some resemblance to the disaster at the fictional Black Mesa Research Facility in the Half-Life video game series.
- The name Thaumanova is derived from "Thauma" or "Thaum" meaning magic (from the Greek words θαῦμα thaûma, meaning "miracle" or "marvel") and either "Nova" meaning a cataclysmic nuclear explosion (From Latin nova, meaning “new”) or "ANOVA", a method to analyse the variance in test samples. Therefore the name Thaumanova can be read to mean both "massive magical explosion", referencing the disaster and " analysis of variance in magic", referencing the research that was happening there.
- It is possible that Thaumanova is inspired by the real life nuclear disaster that occured in Chernobyl. The nuclear powerplant had a catastrophic increase of pressure, and spread radioactive pollutants into the environment. The land surrounding the ruins of the powerplant within a 30km radius is an exclusion zone, due to toxic levels of radiation. The Chernobyl exclusion zone is visited frequently by scientists in protective gear to study the anomalous flora and fauna that have mutated there due to the radiation, including severely dis-formed creatures, red grass, and animals displaying abnormal intelligence.