The Borderlands are the launching point for many adventurers into The Mists. With a heavily fortified location that climbs all the way to the peak of a mountain, it can be a difficult place for enemies to assault and an excellent place for would-be heroes to get their first battle scars.
— In-game description
The Borderlands are three identical maps in World versus World, with each map belonging to one of the participating worlds. Players on their own borderland spawn at the Citadel towards the north of the map; players from the other two worlds spawn in either the south-east or south-west corners of the map. Unless noted otherwise, all three Borderlands maps share identical features.
While the three borderlands maps are physically identical, the locations on them have different names. The table below shows the different names for each location.
- Defeat the veteran warg (80)
- Destroy the harpy veteran (80)
- Kill the veteran wurm (80)
- Eliminate the centaur threat (80)
- Remove the skritt threat from the area (80)
- Defeat the ghost veterans (80)
- Capture the camp (80)
- Defend the camp (80)
- Secure the keep (80)
- Defend the keep (80)
- Capture the tower (80)
- Defend the tower (80)
- Claim this land for your world (80)
- Defend this land for your world (80)
- Stop the enemy supply caravan (80)
- Defend your supply caravan (80)
- Group events
- Defeat the champion spider (80) [Group Event]
- Starter area (Enemy Borderlands)
- Arcane Eye Agent [Repairs]
- Armor Embosser [Guild Armorer]
- Armor Master [Armorsmith]
- Battle Historian [WvW Tournament Rewards]
- Battle Master [Weaponsmith]
- Black Lion Trader [Trading Post]
- Guild Master [Guild Registrar]
- Instructor [Tutorial]
- Karma Trader [Equipment Trader]
- Laurel merchant (WvW)
- Outfitter [Merchant]
- Siege Master [Siege Merchant]
- Trait Master [Retrainer]
- Traps and Tricks [Outfitter]
- Weapon Master [Weaponsmith]
- Weapon Embosser [Guild Weaponsmith]
- Starter area (Home Borderland) additionally
- Crafting Supplier [Merchant]
- Artisan (Master Armorsmith)
- Artisan (Master Artificer)
- Artisan (Master Chef)
- Artisan (Master Huntsman)
- Artisan (Master Jeweler)
- Artisan (Master Leatherworker)
- Artisan (Master Tailor)
- Artisan (Master Weaponsmith)
- Champion Keep Lord (Guild Claiming)
- Quartermaster (Orders structure upgrades)
- Hired Merchants
- Hired Services
- Garrison (Keep services plus)
- Champion Tower Lord (Guild Claiming)
- Quartermaster (Orders structure upgrades)
- Hired Outfitter
- Hired Siegemaster
- Resource Camps
- Resource Nodes
- Copper Ore/Rich Copper Vein
- Gold Ore/Rich Gold Vein
- Iron Ore/Rich Iron Vein
- Silver Ore
- Aspen Sapling
- Banyan Sapling
- Snow Cherry Sapling
- Tukawa Sapling
- Blueberry Bush
- Button Mushrooms
- Herb Sprouts
- Root Vegetables
- Strawberry Patch
- Varied Mushrooms
- Young Herbs
All pets are located near the same Point of Interest within a particular Borderland.
- Hero's Orchard in Green Borderlands.
- Victor's Lodge in Red Borderlands.
- Champion's Demense in Blue Borderlands.
- Blue Jellyfish
- In the water to the south-east of the POI
- At the southernmost central point, just south of the woods to the south of the POI.
- Behind the buildings, just south of the POI.
- River Drake
- On the shore, just south-east and south-west of the POI.
- In the water, south-west of the POI.
- Forest Spider
- In the woods, just south of the POI.
- The borderlands used to have Quaggan weather node mercenary camps in a center lake until they were replaced by the Borderlands Bloodlust system in the September 17 2013 game update.
- After Beta Event Weekend 2 all titles such as ((Blue World)), ((Red World)) and ((Green World)) were re-titled to the server you were facing (e.g Sea of Sorrows Borderlands).
- Access is restricted to any of the borderlands before level 18 and for Trial accounts.
- The type of Skill Challenges on each of the borderlands are cycled. For example, the challenge south of the southernmost supply camp involves a commune in red borderlands, a consumable in blue borderlands, and a fight with an NPC in green borderlands.
- You may access services including crafting stations and Guild contract NPCs for free from anywhere in Tyria any time you're not in combat by entering your home borderland, accessing the desired services, then leaving the mists to return to your prior location. If you were previously in an instance, you will be returned to your location prior to entering the instance.