The white stag is a creature of the Dream, symbolizing hope. It is a manifestation of the faith and joy of our race.
The white stag is a creature of enchantment, an immortal beast with great power. It is said that the stag will trade a magical boon for his freedom, if caught. The stag is able to communicate with the Pale Tree.
The white stag is a creature of pure magic from the Dream, symbolizing hope. He is a manifestation of the faith and joy of the sylvari race. Like the Pale Tree, he exists both in reality and in the Dream, and because of this he would provide an excellent gateway for perverting the Dream to Nightmare. To this end, the Nightmare Court seek to twist the white stag into a creature of despair and hatred, a powerful weapon against the Dream.
A creature of pure magic, the white stag could communicate with the Pale Tree while existing both in reality and the Dream. He became known as a creature of legend which few had ever seen. The stag was said to trade a magical boon for his freedom, if caught.
In 1325 AE, the stag was sighted in Caledon Forest. The Nightmare Court wished to capture him in order to corrupt him and, via his magical connection, increase the Nightmare's influence over the Dream. A Courtier named Gavin masqueraded as a Dreamer and sought out the stag but was ambushed and nearly killed by the Risen. However, he was saved by the Valiant who was also after the White Stag due to having seen a vision of the stag as part of their Wyld Hunt in the Dream.
Realizing he could use the Valiant's strength to make his mission easier, Gavin lied that he wanted to capture and tame the White Stag to inspire the Dream and suggested that the two of them should hunt the stag together. The Valiant agreed and took Gavin to Caer Verdant to recover from his wounds, unaware of his true allegiance.
Once healed, Gavin joined the Valiant's side, and the pair successfully tracked down and captured the White Stag after a long chase. With his prize secure, Gavin revealed himself as a Nightmare Courtier and offered the Valiant a chance to side with him. When the Valiant refused and tried to stop him, however, the disappointed Gavin had a pack of Nightmare Hounds attack the Valiant while he took the White Stag to Hemlock Coil, one of the Nightmare Court's strongholds, to be turned to Nightmare.
The Valiant and Caithe successfully located the stag after interrogating a few Courtiers, however. Deciding to either trick a high-ranking Courtier named Sariel to leave the camp with most of her vanguard, or challenging her directly as a distraction so Caithe could sneak in undetected, the Valiant contributed to the White Stag's release. The pair fled the Courtiers and took the stag to the Grove.
Sariel, angered at being tricked, took several Courtiers with her and launched an attack to both recapture the White Stag and have her revenge on the pair for humiliating her. When Sariel used underhanded methods during battle, however, Gavin appeared on the scene to stop the assault, reprimanded Sariel for lacking honor and used both his authority and threats to force the younger Courtier to leave.
Intending to resolve the dispute himself and prove that the Nightmare Court still had honor, Gavin apologized for Sariel's behavior and challenged the Valiant to a one-on-one duel: for the winner, the White Stag, and for the defeated, death. The Valiant accepted Gavin's terms and ultimately prevailed in the duel.
Following the victory, the Pale Tree summoned Caithe and the Valiant to meet with her. The luminaries got the Pale Tree's permission to keep the White Stag in the Grove so the stag could soothe the minds of troubled sylvari and stay safe from the Nightmare Court's schemes. The Pale Tree revealed that the White Stag had spoken to her about Caithe and the Valiant's deeds, and she congratulated the pair. The White Stag settled into Dreamer's Terrace, bringing hope and happiness in his wake.
- Chapter 1: Following the Dream
- A white stag or white deer is a red deer with a condition known as leucism that causes its hair and skin to lose its natural color. Arthurian legend states that the creature has a perennial ability to evade capture; and that the pursuit of the animal represents mankind's spiritual quest. It also signalled that the time was nigh for the knights of the kingdom to pursue a quest.
- Associated items
- ^ a b Biography: Sylvari The White Stag is a creature of enchantment, an immortal beast with great power. It is said that the stag will trade a magical boon for its freedom, if I can catch it.
- ^ Black Night, White Stag Avatar of the Tree: Greetings, my valorous child. The white stag spoke to me of your deeds. I'm so proud of you.
- ^ a b Saving the Stag Caithe: The stag is a creature of pure magic; a conduit between this world and the Dream. We must keep it safe.
- ^ a b Called to Service
- <Character name>: Can you tell me more about the white stag?
- Caithe: The white stag is a creature of the Dream, symbolizing hope. It is a manifestation of the faith and joy of our race. [...]
- <Character name>: Caithe, how were you able to reenter the Dream to help me?
- Caithe: The Mother Tree sent me. Like the white stag, she exists both in reality and in the Dream. Still, as I am awake, I could only do so much.
- ^ Hounds and the Hunted
- Gavin: No, my noble friend. The white stag is coming with me. Once we turn it to the Nightmare, the stag will be a powerful weapon against the Dream.
- Gavin: It is a manifestation of hope and faith. In Nightmare, it will be just the opposite—a creature of despair and hatred.
- Gavin: Through its power, the Pale Tree will be freed of the chains forged by Ventari's Tablet.