Dye is color that can be applied to equipped armor and town clothes, allowing players to personalize the look of their character. Weapons and accessories cannot be dyed. Dyes are unlocked on a character-by-character basis and not account-wide. A dye will state, in the information panel, if it has already been unlocked on the character. Attempting to unlock the dye again will result in a chat message stating it has been unlocked and the dye will not be consumed.
Up to four different colors may be applied to an individual item, and the outcome may differ depending on the type of material (cloth, leather, metal) that the dye is used on. Although newly acquired items will automatically be dyed with the dyes set for a currently equipped item, once applied, dyes will be saved in the item. For example, a character can equip an item that is not soulbound on use, dye it, put it in the bank and another character that equips the item will see the same colors applied to the item. Dyes will be lost when the item is sold through the Trading Post, though.
Also, each race has a cultural palette that reflects the character of the species. This means a red color for a human may not look the same as a red color for a norn or charr. Unlike the original Guild Wars series, dyes are unlocked, rather than collected as vials. This allows players to change the color of their armor as they see fit, without having to rely on a limited supply and storage.
Players begin the game with access to the same set of 21 starter colors. As players progress through the game, an additional 382 colors can be acquired in the following ways:
- Dye Pack — purchased from the Gem Store for 200.
- Unidentified Dye
- Unidentified Dye (PvP) (account bound)
- Dye kits — contain random dyes from a pool of colors
- Placing four dyes into the Mystic Forge to create a new dye of the same or higher rarity.
- Purchased from other players through the Trading Post
All unlocked dyes can be viewed via the Dye mode in the equipment tab on the hero panel interface.
It is possible to use the same or a combination of different dyes in the preview panel as long as they are still items, as it is not possible to use unlocked dyes on it. In addition you can use the item ID to link it in chat and preview by right clicking it there; on the wiki, this can be found in the dye's infobox.
 Dye application
Players can experiment with many different combinations of dye in order to produce the most desired result. To do this:
- Open the equipment tab on the hero panel interface (default key ).
- Find and select the color dropper and the panel will toggle to dye mode.
- Select from a range of colors on the left hand side. They will be grouped by set, but can be filtered differently using the sprocket icon above.
- Once a color is selected, apply the dye to one of the panels next to any one of the six armor pieces. Any changes will be shown immediately by the character model on the right.
There are 432 dyes available in the game.
 By Material
 By Set
 By Color
- During the first beta weekend event, players were required to obtain Colorful Dye Seeds that required cultivation back in the "Home" area. Cultivation took either 24 real world hours, or the purchase of an item from the Gem shop. Once cultivated it would drop a soulbound, unidentified dye; that dye would unlock a new color. This system has since been replaced.
- ^ Martin Kerstein answers Community Questions | GuildWars2.info, Guild Wars 2 Guru translation from German