List of attributes
- Strength - increases melee power.
- Agility - increases ranged power.
- Intelligence - increases magic power.
- Vitality - increases maximum health.
- Perception - increases chance for a critical hit.
- Willpower - increases maximum energy.
Sources and distribution
Attribute points come from several different sources and depending on the source the player has varying amounts of control over the distribution of these points.
When a character levels they are given attribute points. The majority of these points are distributed automatically to the attributes which are either recommended or useful for the character's profession. The remaining portion of the points are available for the player to manually distribute to any attributes they choose. Health and energy have a base level determined by the player level alone - points put into Vitality or Willpower provide incremental increases on top of this.
Armor, armor upgrades and weapons can provide additional attribute points. The set of attribute points is fixed for for the item so the player must either select items which have attribute points they want or use a transmutation stone to take the statistics from another item.
The player can choose traits which boost a particular attribute.
Recommendations by profession
Each profession favors different attributes over others. There are three different levels of favor:
- Recommended - white on the hero panel with a white leftward point arrow next to the attribute name.
- Useful - white on the hero panel.
- Of little value - gray on the hero panel.
While the player is discouraged from investing their manually assignable points to attributes of little value to their profession nothing prevents them from doing so.
1 means the attribute is recommended for this profession.
0 means the attribute is useful for this profession.
0 means the attribute is not recommended for this profession.
- Investigating Attributes - Guild Wars 2 Guru thread using numbers from demo footage to determine how attributes work.