The ownership of an objective by a world (Blue, Green or Red) is displayed on the WvW map. Each objective contributes a certain amount of points towards the owning server's war score.
Every 15 minutes, the objectives controlled by each world are totaled and added to that world's cumulative score. The score is added at the start of the next 15 minute interval, so objectives flipped before the timer starts again (during the --:-- phase) will also count for points.
|(5 points)||(10 points)||(25 points)||(35 points)|
|Total Score (695)||120||240||300||35|
Players must defeat the objective's Veteran Supervisor (camps), Champion Tower Lord (towers), Champion Keep Lord (keeps), or Legendary Castle Lord (castles) to allow the capture point to appear. Successfully defending the point for 30 seconds will change the objective's ownership to the claiming world. Enemy guards and players can contest the point, preventing progress to the capture until they are removed from the circle.
After an objective is captured:
- An announcement of the capture is seen by every player in the map
- All guards are restored to their initial state with the exception of enemy dolyaks in resource camps
- All prior upgrades are removed, walls and gates are repaired
- The banners around the object change to the color of the world that has captured the objective
- Timers begin to unlock objective upgrades
- Guard leaders gain Righteous Indignation for 3 minutes, preventing the objective from being recaptured temporarily
- The objective can be claimed by a guild
Objectives can be claimed by a guild. Claiming puts the guild's emblem onto the banners hanging from the objective. Tactics, Improvements, and guild objective auras become available if the guild has unlocked them. Additional upgrades to objectives can be unlocked through the War Room in the guild hall. A guild is limited to claiming a maximum of one objective at a time per map. If an objective has been claimed, a small yellow shield appears next to its map icon.
Claiming an objective requires that the guild has unlocked the appropriate guild upgrade and that the player has the appropriate guild permissions active:
- WvW Guild Claiming: Camps
- WvW Guild Claiming: Towers
- WvW Guild Claiming: Keeps
- WvW Guild Claiming: Stonemist Castle
Guild Objective Auras
- Guild Objective Auras are unlocked effects that passively increase allies' attributes and other effects while in the area of a claimed objective. Each effect is unlocked in tiers, maintaining the bonuses of the previously unlocked effects.
- Objective Aura 1: Magic Find (effect) — Magic Find +20%
- Objective Aura 2: WvW Experience (effect) — WvW Experience +10%
- Objective Aura 3: Movement Speed (effect) — Movement speed +25%
- Objective Aura 4: Power (effect) — Power +100
- Objective Aura 5: Precision (effect) — Precision +100
- Objective Aura 6: Toughness (effect) — Toughness +100
- Objective Aura 7: Vitality (effect) — Vitality +100
- Objective Aura 8: Supply Capacity (effect) — Max Supply +5
Objectives gain bonuses the longer it is held by a world's team and can gain additional upgrades from guilds that have claimed it.
- Automatic Upgrades passively improve the structures' gates, walls, guards, supply depots, and bring additional siege weapons and services to the location
- Tactics and Improvements allow guilds that have claimed an objective to activate unique effects in the location
- Tactics — active bonuses that can be triggered by the objective's tactivators
- Improvements — passive bonuses that improve the objective's defensive structures and allies
- Prior to the release of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, objectives were called structures. They could be upgraded through spending coin and supply on structure upgrades, as opposed to the current time-based free upgrades.
- Formerly, speaking to the main defender after capture was required to claim an objective.