There are several types of Skill Challenges:
- Direct combat — defeat a single foe (usually an initially friendly one, who offers the challenge).
- Horde combat — battle a veteran and several weaker enemies; usually summoned by activating an object.
- Item challenges — an interactive object will give an item that can be consumed to receive a skill point; often located in hard to reach areas.
- Communing with a place of power.
- Dialog - during a conversation with an NPC, choose the correct answers from a given selection of possible answers.
Communing is the act of binding with, or gaining unique and powerful knowledge from, an object or "place of power", which is a place emanating magical power, such as sacred objects or areas of certain tribes, or possessing historical significance in Guild Wars lore. Places of power are frequently guarded by a Veteran enemy, which does not have to be defeated, but which can interfere and interrupt the channeling process, which requires a certain time to complete to gain the skill point.
List of skill challenges
- List of skill challenges in Ascalon
- List of skill challenges in Kryta
- List of skill challenges in the Maguuma Jungle
- List of skill challenges in Ruins of Orr
- List of skill challenges in the Shiverpeak Mountains
- List of skill challenges in the Maguuma Wastes
Skill challenges in World vs World
|Eboneigh Territory||Green Borderlands||---||Consume Centaur Feed|
|Hero's Lodge||Green Borderlands||80||Defeat the Spider Queen|
|Neuskrittia||Green Borderlands||---||Commune with the Skritt Shiny|
|Blackwicker Territory||Red Borderlands||80||Defeat the Centaur Chief|
|Chitaritta||Red Borderlands||---||Consume Skritt Stew|
|Victor's Lodge||Red Borderlands||---||Commune with Mysterious Energy|
|Brownmane Territory||Blue Borderlands||---||Commune with Centaur Totem|
|Champion's Demense||Blue Borderlands||---||Consume Spider Egg|
|Chitterogg||Blue Borderlands||80||Defeat the Skritt King|
|Darkrait Inlet||Eternal Battlegrounds||---||Commune with Krait Reliquary|
|Molevek Works||Eternal Battlegrounds||---||Commune with Dredge Furnace|
|Orgath Uplands||Eternal Battlegrounds||---||Commune with Harpy Nesting Grounds|
|Stonemist Castle||Eternal Battlegrounds||---||Commune with Heart of Stone|
It is impossible to gain more than the one intended skill-point from item challenges by stockpiling them in the account vault/bank, as consuming any of the same item (Cuatl Tonic, for example) a second time will cause it to simply disappear with no additional skill-point earnt.
- At one point during development, there were skill challenges in major cities such as Rata Sum.
- There were 183 skill challenges during the first Beta Weekend Event, 176 during the second, 187 during the third, and 199 skill challenges during the August 2nd stress test.
- As of the August 9th Stress Test there were 201 Skill Challenges.
- As of the August 15th Stress Test there were 203 Skill Challenges.
- As of launch day, 28th August 2012, there were 202 Skill Challenges.