- This article is about the microtransaction currency gems. For the crafting material, see Gemstone.
Gems are the in-game currency required to make purchases from the Gem Store. The amount of gems you hold is indicated in the bottom left of the inventory panel and upper left of the Gem Store. Gems may be spent on convenience or cosmetic items, or account services.
Gems can be acquired by spending real-world money or from within the game for no additional cost to the player:
- Via the Currency Exchange tab of the Trading Post panel, players can trade coin for gems.
- As an achievement reward, players receive 400 for each 5,000 achievement points earned.
- Real-world money
- Gem cards can be purchased from local retailers or online in different denominations.
- Gems can be purchased directly by clicking Buy Gems on the top left of the main tab of the Trading Post window.
 Using real-world money
Gems can be purchased for real-world money in various fixed amounts; there is no discount for bulk purchases. Prices in euros (€) and pounds sterling (£) include the 20% VAT; prices in dollars ($) do not include sales tax, since the amount varies depending on several factors.
 Directly from ArenaNet
Gems are available in the following amounts via the in-game interface:
|$ or €||10.00||20.00||35.00||50.00||100.00|
 Gem cards
Various retailers offer gem cards that can be redeemed in-game for 1,200 or 2,000 gems.
|$ or €||15.00||25.00|
The list of stores known to offer gem cards includes:
|Belgium & Netherlands|| Game Mania|
Free Record Shop
|Canada|| Best Buy |
|South Africa||BT Games|
|United States|| Amazon |
The table below shows the conversion rates between gems and three currencies accepted by ArenaNet:
|Currency||Gems / Unit||Unit / 100 Gems|
|US Dollars||80 / $||$1.25 / 100|
|EU Euros||80 / €||€1.25 / 100|
|British Pounds||94 / £ 1||£1.0625 / 100|
- 1 Rounded to the nearest whole number.
 Currency Exchange
The Currency Exchange tab allows you to trade coin for gems and vice versa. The exchange rate is measured in coin per 100 gems and determined by supply and demand from players. The panel includes the high, low, and average over the last 5 days, along with a graph displaying the rate over the same period. Since supply and demand affects the rate, the ratio can shift rapidly depending on market conditions, especially when the Gem Store adds new offerings. Players are limited to exchanging 9,999 or 200 in any single transaction.
There is a 15% transaction fee whether trading gems for gold or vice versa. For example, exchanging 1 gives 85 worth of gems while reselling those gems returns only around 72 25 , a net loss of roughly 28%.
- Trial accounts can not access the Currency Exchange.