Tears of Itlaocol
Tears of Itlaocol
|Tears of Itlaocol||Explorer||10|
|Solve the puzzle of Itlaocol.Sadness, or joy?||Exploration Achievement||10|
The mini-dungeon entrance is south of the Falias Thorp Waypoint — at the Dengatl Grounds, behind the veteran hylek chief. A large gong can be found above and to the right of one of the gates. Sounding the gong by means of throwing a boulder at it will open the gates (targeting the gong is easiest using action camera / by switching autotargeting off).
The final objective is beyond a second gate, beyond the gong gate, requiring completion of a puzzle. Running to the puzzle (instead of fighting) is recommended as there are several Veteran (and a Champion) Hylek which are difficult to beat solo and they do not pursue fast nor far; and there is a wall that shoots poison darts which will wear down those that tarry.
To reach the puzzle, hug the right wall the entire way from the first gate (per the map at the top right of this page). Follow the path first West, then South, then West for a tiny distance, then avoid the obvious South turn and continue to the right to go straight North past the poison dart wall.
The puzzle lies before the final closed gate in an unpopulated marshy clearing. On the ground before the gate are 9 pressure plates in a 3x3 pattern, and scattered glowing spheres called Tear of Itlaocol, which can be picked up and dropped on the pressure plates. A large rock representing a human face is suspended from the ceiling to the right of the gate, with bright dots on each cheek, representing the positions of the figure's tears. The wall has four unlit torches, two on either side of the gate, and two further to the right of the suspended figure's head.
To solve the puzzle and open the gate, match the dot patterns on the cheeks by placing the Tear of Itlaocols on the corresponding pressure plates. A torch is lit for each successful match. You will need to match the patterns four times to light the four torches. Check for lit torches before proceeding, as someone may have partially completed the puzzle before you arrived (zero or two lit: start with the left pattern; one or three: start with the right one). If there are no lit torches, start with the left cheek pattern. "Left" is as you look upon the face, which is actually the figure's right cheek.
Upon a successful match, the room will rumble and the torch to the left of the gate will light up. Repeat for the right cheek pattern to light a torch to the right of the gate. After lighting both torches, the patterns will change. Repeat the process for the next two torches and the gate will open.
The gate to the chest remains open only for a short while.
- Raven (80)
- Champion Hylek Cuicani (15)
- Veteran Hylek Amini (15)
- Veteran Hylek Cuicani (15)
- Veteran Hylek Tlamatini (15)
- At the start
- In the treasure room at the end
- Daily: Daily Tears of Itlaocol Minidungeon — Complete the Tears of Itlaocol minidungeon in Caledon Forest. (0)
- HOPE I: Research: Vial of Potent Hylek Poison
- Kudzu I: The Experimental Longbow: Itlaocol's Flower
- Nevermore III: The Raven Staff: Chase the Spirit beyond the Tears
- Twilight III: Dusk: Itlaocol's Gloom — Use the Gloominator to capture the gloom of the treasure room in the Tears of Itlaocol mini dungeon in Caledon Forest.
- Ryland Steelcatcher's Footsteps: Distilled Hylek Mead — Found in the chest at the end of the Tears of Itlaocol in Caledon Forest.
- Completing the mini-dungeon does not require any fight with the enemies inside, so any build capable of avoiding the attacks of the veterans along the way (e.g. blocking, invulnerability, swiftness, stealth) will allow a solo player to reach the chest.
- There are no restrictions on Mounts in this area.