From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
- Character or player icons display characteristics of players.
- Floating icons may appear above the head of NPCs or objects to represent their function that in most cases, is the same icon on the map.
- Item icons exist for any object which can physically appear in a character's inventory, bank, hero panel, etc.
- Map icons show the position of significant features and events as you explore Tyria.
- Navigation icons allow you to switch between different functional tabs on Graphical user interface panels.
- Skill icons are small pictures used to represent a skill on the player's skill bar. The skill description can be viewed by hovering over the icon with the mouse.
- Trait icons represent passive abilities that can enhance a character's skills, provide bonuses to damage and attributes, and modify their actions.