Guild Wars 2 Wiki talk:Discord
Linking to a listing of discord channels
It was brought to my attention via the forums that we're currently promoting the reddit discord channel over providing a listing of channels. This highlighting would be in contrast to how we prefer to direct people to a youtube search of a topic rather than a specific video. To quote them in full:
[U]se the same system that has been in use for Fan sites:
Post a request on the talk page, explaining why the site is notable. See criteria for inclusion for the criteria for making requests. Sites that no longer meet criteria may be removed, usually because they are out-of-date. Criteria
Official Guild Wars sites with a Guild Wars 2 counterpart.
- Has been strongly recommended by members of this wiki's community, by
- Suggestions on the talk page
- Consensus from the wiki community, here, on Reddit, or the forums.
- The community continues to find that the site is active, maintained, and relevant for inclusion.
Has been highlighted by ArenaNet for its purpose or activities related to Guild Wars 2.
struck out the ones that don't apply.)
You could do worse than starting with the list I have, which was based on what people have added as links multiple times on Reddit, forums. And/or, they are the Discord channels for sites that are ubiquitous.
Missing from my list: the r/GW2Economy and r/gw2exchange Discords (short version: very insular groups, not very welcoming imo), the various raid-training communities (there's controversy around one of them and I wouldn't want the wiki to get in the middle of them).
I've also created a copy of their suggestion for the page. Obviously this suggestion is only a starting point to a conversation that we should have, as personally I would love to see other discord channels promoted as well <insert typical Greener reaching out to the larger community speech>. G R E E N E R 02:36, 3 September 2018 (UTC)
- Hrm. I'd argue that for anything in the "Guild Wars 2 Wiki:" namespace we can do what we like.
- Essentially this page should be only a link to the wiki discord, however we did get a lot of non-wiki traffic without putting the other link in too.
- Maybe a completely separate page for other discord links, "List of community discords", and then link back to it? -Chieftain Alex 06:02, 3 September 2018 (UTC)