I just received a blade shard from the node, looks like they updated this generator to produce them as a lucky chance. --04:02, 5 March 2014 (UTC)Enduser1980 (talk) proof --Enduser1980 (talk) 04:07, 5 March 2014 (UTC)
Watchwork Mining Pick?
Anyone know if the Watchwork Mining Pick will return sprockets from the 'mining' done on this node or does it not really count as mining? 126.96.36.199 15:09, 23 October 2015 (UTC)
Mine 3x/day or 1x/day?
I restored the original text in Sprocket Generator to state that this node (like many others) can be harvested three times per day, not one:
- The "interact" button ( ) appears three individual times. You can verify this by self-interrupting the process after each "swing."
- Any limited-use pick will expend three charges.
- The in-game text for the interact says "Mine " each time.
The difficulty in choosing the "proper" word comes about in part because there's a certain ambiguity in the word "mine:" does it mean "how many times do you swing the pick" or "how many times do you interact with the node" ? On the wiki, I think we need to go with the first definition: "mine" = "one swing" for the reasons stated above and because using the other definition opens the possibility of confusing the situation in particular situations.
- In Orr, it's common to get knocked away from a node and you still get the same minimum of three swings per node. You might need to interact more than once, even if you only use the pick 3x.
- Rich Veins provide exactly 10 swings, never 9 and never 11; the amount of mats depends on whether you get the minimum of 1 or bonuses.
- Typical metal and wood nodes usually get one to deliver 3-6 mats (with 3 being more common and 6 occurring hardly at all); sometimes, you can get a second chance to interact.
- Plants are different: one swing per and up to four swings per node per "reset" and thus "one gather per swing" is the same as "one gather per interact."
It's true that there are special considerations for the home instance nodes: unlike open world nodes, they don't offer bonus opportunities: you never use the pick more than three times on any of them. But rather than saying we only get one 'mine" per day, it would be more consistent to say we get exactly 3 opportunities: "can be mined exactly three times per day" or "up to three swings per day" and then, if needed, we can list the total number of mats we might see. (I'm pretty sure I've gotten up to 6 sprockets and 2 blade shards at least once; I'll keep an eye out to see if it's ever more than that.)
- I've settle on calling each individual interaction an action and the interacting with a node as gathering. The number of actions per gathering depends on the type of node.--Relyk ~ talk < 01:00, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
- It's a decent convention to use "gather" for each interaction. I prefer "mine" for metal nodes, since (a) that's what the game calls the interaction and (b) a synonym or two increases the readability of the prose, as opposed to easily a dozen or two uses of "gather|gathering|gathered" even in a small article. To help me understand the mechanics, I like to think of one generic concept (gathering), with three specific variations: mining, logging, and harvesting.
- This current information regarding the node to be harvested three times a day although true for the current action of harvesting (as in the immediate multiple action of PICKING) is false when describing it as three times a day. This gives people looking for the information on *Sprocket Generator* a false positive as they read this information as being able to VISIT the node three times a day per account - therefore the description should be left as capable of farming this node ONCE PER DAY PER ACCOUNT!
- If you look at the description in the NOTES section of the Gift of Sprockets you will also see the description of once per day per account.
- Although the *3 picks per mining instance* is true the information perceived is false and therefore should be left as such! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs) at 18:34, 13 August 2014 (UTC).
- You can visit three times a day: visit once, interrupt the channel after one successful action. Visit again and interrupt again. Visit a third time. All metal and logging nodes work the same way: you press the interact button once and it gathers 3x; it's a time saving mechanic.
- I often "visit" standard (non-rich) nodes more than once per respawn, because I'll chop/mine the node three times (or harvest once on a plant node), then start to walk away before I realize that the WvW bonus kicked in and I got awarded a fourth chop/mine (or a second harvest) usage on the node. Thus I have to "visit" the node a second time.
- Just an example to try and make it clear why thinking in terms of "visits" is misleading in and of itself. Nodes should always be considered in terms of "uses", because those are directly tracked by the gathering tools. —Dr Ishmael 17:32, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
- TEF and Ish: While you are technically correct (which, in principle, is the best kind of correct ;)), I think the important point here is clarity. The salient point that I believe we're trying to get across is that the node only exists once per day per account. It will not respawn before the next daily reset, and you cannot get a fresh one by switching characters. The key word "once" conveys that sentiment unambiguously, whereas "three times" leaves more room for interpretation, whether it's three swings of the pick (like most ore nodes), three sets of swings of the pick (like rich ore nodes), or resets every 8 hours (like... Well, nothing in particular comes to mind that has this behavior, but I'm saying it's a reasonable interpretation if you don't know).
- So I would consider "once per day per account" a rather critical phrase for the article (the particular verb associated with that phrase notwithstanding). Then going on to explain that, unlike a regular ore node, you will never get a bonus fourth swing would both offer additional information and implicitly convey to anyone who doesn't automatically associate mining nodes with 3 swings that yes, this is 3 swings. - Tanetris (talk) 21:08, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
- Then perhaps we should completely rephrase to say that the node spawns once per day, and whenever it spawns it can be used three times. That would say both things in a completely unambiguous fashion. —Dr Ishmael 23:17, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
Adjusted the totals to show range 6-12. Each of the 3 gathers at the node can generate 1 or 2 sprockets (never 0) so the minimum from all 3 gathers will be 6 and the maximum 12 (altho I've yet to see 12 drop at once!)
And from a few months gathering data, it looks like the drop rate of blade shards is designed to return (on average) 1 per day (if all 3 gathers are used up), i.e. 1 in 3 drop chance per gather --BramStoker (talk, contribs) 12:15, 28 November 2014 (UTC)
- I am obviously missing something. If there are three gathers that generate one or two, wouldn't the min/max be 3*1 and 3*2? — snograt 23:31, 28 November 2014 (UTC)
- No, each of the 3 gathers has 2 "strikes" which return 1 or 2 sprockets, so for each gather there's 4 possible output combos: 1+1; 1+2; 2+1; 2+2. min total=2, max total=4. Multiply up for all 3 gathers = 6-12
- My data record would seem to bear this out, never had less than 6, most so far is 11, but I've not had a 2+2 / 2+2 / 2+2 gather yet! --BramStoker (talk, contribs) 01:13, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
Ambiguity in explanation.
The current thing states that: " (The action of mining incurs three separate gathers of below items)" And below it is stated you get 6-12. My interpretation of this was that in any one day you would get 18-36, three times what was listed below. However the sum of what you get is 6-12. This lead to a purchase I immediately regretted upon realisation. I reccomend changing to clarify that so no one else has this issue. Kind Regards linkrulesx10 (Sorry if I did this wrong in the talk section I am not used to wiki formatting.) —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs) at 13:48, 30 January 2015 (UTC).
- Agreed the description was confusing. I've attempted to clarify it - you can receive up to a total of 12 blade shards per day (i.e. you get 2 to 4 blade shards per usage of the node, and you can mine the node 3x a day) -Chieftain Alex 22:39, 14 April 2015 (UTC)