I turn my back on you, Mother. My solo voice of truth will dampen the cacophony of fools.
— A Soundless mantra for meditation
The Soundless are a group of sylvari who have chosen to cut themselves off from the voice of the Pale Tree. Despite this, the Pale Tree can still contact Soundless sylvari if needed, though it would require more effort to do so. They have separated themselves from the Dream of Dreams in an attempt to escape the constant pressure and burden of it through a specific kind of meditation or mental exercise. These exercises need to be performed regularly to maintain their disconnection from the Dream and other sylvari, however they can never be truly separated from the Dream - only minimize their connection to it and their kin. These exercises were developed by one of the Firstborn, though which is unknown.
By separating themselves from the Avatar of the Tree and the Dream, the Soundless in turn reject her protection, which leaves them vulnerable to the corruption of the Elder Dragons. Most clearly this has been seen with the rise of Mordremoth, who had corrupted Soundless sylvari such as Aerin and Scarlet Briar, who was similar to the Soundless herself as in that she was capable of keeping her thoughts and memories separate from the Dream and rejected the protection of the Pale Tree.
List of Soundless
- See also: Category:Soundless
- ^ A note found during Fallen Hopes
- Note: "This page torn from a mission log has a single phrase scrawled across it: "I turn my back on you, Mother. My solo voice of truth will dampen the cacophony of fools. —Aerin""
- <Character name>: I recognize this. It's a Soundless mantra for meditation, scrawled on someone's personal logbook.
- ^ 2RP's Lore Interview with ArenaNet!, Guild Wars 2 Roleplayers Forums (Archived)
- ^ Dialogue during Rallying Call
- Avatar of the Tree: Well, my child, the one thing you must never forget is that I stand between you and the greatest darkness you'll ever know. A vast darkness intent on consuming all that we hold dear.
- <Character name>: What do you mean, Mother?
- Avatar of the Tree: There are those who reject my protection. It leaves them vulnerable in ways they cannot imagine, in ways they never were before. I shield you as best I can and will for as long as I can.
- <Character name>: You're talking about dragon corruption. We've been immune to it.
- Avatar of the Tree: Yes. In the past, my children have been immune. But Mordremoth's corruption is powerful, and just as Zhaitan created the undead from so many creatures, so Mordremoth's corruption can change you.
- ^ LoreSpecial: Scarlet Briar, TowerTalk.de (Archived, video no longer working)