Transmutation is a system which allows players to customize the appearance of their equipment, both weapons and armor. Using Transmutation Stones or Crystals, players can combine two items of the same type, creating a single item with the appearance of one item and the statistics of the other. If both items have an upgrade component, such as a rune, players may choose which one is kept. Transmuted items must be of the same weapon/armor type.
Town clothes (such as reading glasses from the Gem shop) cannot be combined with combat gear.
- Double-click a transmutation item. There are two types: Transmutation Stone (for items level 1 to 79) and Transmutation Crystal (usable on items of any level including 80).
- Drag the two matching slot and weight gear choices into the left and right windows (two light boots for example).
- Click the gear picture of choice to choose skin. It moves to the center.
- Click the left or right statistics window (includes the component if only one has an upgrade applied). The stats move to the center.
- Click the left or right upgrade component window (if both items have upgrades applied). The rune or sigil moves to the center.
- Once something moves to the middle, the discarded set disappears. Click the center selected piece to bring up both choices again.
- At this point, if all is good, the "Item Transmutation" button will highlight. Click that button to complete or the X button at the top to cancel.
- Transmutation creates a new item, replacing both existing items.
- The new item combines one skin (top box), one set of inherent (middle-box prefix) stats, and one set of upgrade (lower-box suffix) stats, .
- The resulting item's rarity will be changed to "Transmuted".
- The color of the name of the resulting item is usually the same color of the item that provided the stats, but there are some exceptions:
- When any of the items is of Legendary rarity, the resulting item's name will always have legendary color.
- When the item in the left slot is of Transmuted rarity, the name of the transmuted item will have that color if it was of a higher rarity than the item in the right slot, even if the stats picked were those of the item in the right slot.
- Transmuted legendary precursors will not be recognized as such in the Mystic Forge, i.e. they cannot be used to create legendary weapons.
- Transmuting the skin of a soulbound item with the stats of the white or blue item will create an account bound item, allowing another character on your account to use it.
- If you just want to move an upgrade from one item to another, you can use a salvage kit; there is no way to transfer inherent stats except via transmutation.
- PvP gear cannot be transmuted with PvE gear, and vice versa.
- You can get skins from other Orders (Priory, Vigil, Whispers) onto a character that is not part of that Order. To do so, you must have one other character that is part of the desired Order, with access to the respective merchant. Then, purchase the item(s) you want to use as a skin, then transmute the desired skin onto a white rarity item. This creates on item with the desired skin on an account-bound item. Finally, log back onto the original character, and transmute the new white rarity item (with the desired skin) with your armor/weapon.
Proof that transmutation does not affect the rarity or name of the legendary; i.e. Incinerator was transmutated into Berserker stats and a Superior Bloodlust Sigil, when originally the dagger had Soldier stats and a Superior Sigil of Fire.