Transmutation is a system which allows players to customize the appearance of their equipment, both weapons and armor. Using Transmutation Stones, players can combine two items of the same type, creating a single item with the appearance of one item and the statistics of the other. If both items have an upgrade component, such as a rune, players may choose which one is kept. Transmuted items must be of the same weapon/armor type.
Town clothes (such as reading glasses from the Gem shop) cannot be combined with combat gear.
- Double-click a Transmutation Stone. There are two types of transmutation items. The Transmutation stone, for items level 1 to 79 and the Transmutation Crystal, usable on items of any level including 80.
- Drag the two matching slot and weight gear choices into the left and right windows (two light boots for example).
- Click the gear picture of choice to choose skin. It moves to the center.
- Click the left or right statistics window (includes the component if only one has an upgrade applied). The stats move to the center.
- Click the left or right upgrade component window (if both items have upgrades applied). The rune or sigil moves to the center.
- Once something moves to the middle, the discarded set disappears. Click the center selected piece to bring up both choices again.
- At this point, if all is good, the "Item Transmutation" button will highlight. Click that button to complete or the X button at the top to cancel.
- Transmutation creates a new item, replacing both existing items.
- The new item combines one skin (top box), one set of inherent (middle-box prefix) stats, and one set of upgrade (lower-box suffix) stats, .
- The resulting item's rarity will be changed to "Transmuted".
- The color of the name of the resulting item is usually the same color of the item that provided the stats, but there are some exceptions:
- When any of the items is of Legendary rarity, the resulting item's name will always have legendary color.
- When the item in the left slot is of Transmuted rarity, the name of the transmuted item will have that color if it was of a higher rarity than the item in the right slot, even if the stats picked were those of the item in the right slot.
- Transmuted legendary precursors will not be recognized as such in the Mystic Forge, i.e. they cannot be used to create legendary weapons.
- Transmuting the skin of a soulbound item with the stats of the white or blue item will create an account bound item, allowing another character on your account to use it.
- If you just want to move an upgrade from one item to another, you can use a salvage kit; there is no way to transfer inherent stats except via transmutation.
- PvP gear cannot be transmuted with PvE gear, and vice versa.
Proof that transmutation does not affect the rarity or name of the legendary; i.e. Incinerator was transmutated into Berserker stats and a Superior Bloodlust Sigil, when originally it has Soldier stats and a Superior Sigil of Fire.