Arcanist Xanf is an asuran member of the Durmand Priory foundin the Cathedral of Silence. He's only encountered while the Pact is in control of the temple and he carries a spectral disruptor that, when set up with the assistance of players, will nullify all spectral weapons in the area.
- Help Arcanist Xanf set up his spectral disruptor (80)
- Defend the spectral disruptor to prevent the spectral weapons from reforming (80)
- Wandering near the Altar of Murdered Dreams
- There's a trick to these spectral weapons. They're not Risen, they're just infused with magic. If I could just deduce how it works...
What do you mean?
- They seem to be animated in much the same fashion as our golems. Those similarities may be the key to my fashioning a device to disrupt them.
Let's do it.
- We asura have a saying—slow and steady wins the race to unravel the secrets to resolving the enigma. My device still needs work. But when it's functional, you'll be more than welcome to tag along.
- I may just take you up on your generous offer to "tag along".
- Interesting theory.
- Then I'll let you return to your deductions.
- At the Altar of Murdered Dreams
- Given time and a proper site from which to operate, I could potentially disrupt the etheric harmonics of these spectral weapons. That could prove a boon to our mission here.
- I've got the nerve, you've got the know-how. Let's do this.
What? Run that by me one more time.
- I believe I can forestall the formation of these spectral weapons by discomposing the magics that bind them. The result being that the arcane harmony inherent in–
- Got it. If you think you can put the kibosh on these wapons, I'm in.
- I don't have time for this.
- I hope you're right.
- At the Buried Archives
- I know that being in this part of the temple can be unsettling, but so long as my spectral disrupter is functional, I feel all warm and fuzzy... in a personal security sense, I mean.
What does that thing do?
- What does this "thing" do? Have you noticed the complete absence of spectral weapons in the temple? That is what this "thing" does. I apologize for my condescending tone, but you must admit it's warranted.
So it breaks spectral weapons?
- (sigh) I'll write your naivete off to awe. Yes, it's calibrated to cancel and consume the magical energies that allow the spectral weapons to animate. It's a remarkable discovery, if I do say so myself.
- You've got me convinced.
- Whatever you say.
- If you're warm and fuzzy, then I'm warm and fuzzy.
- ???[verification requested]
- Look at me, my hands are still shaking, and I'm usually the master of my extremities. I don't know if I'm more discombobulated at the loss of my equipment or the harrowing experience.
- We launched an expedition with the goal of solving this spectral weapon conundrum. Unfortunately the trek was too much for my delicate equipment and we had to abort the mission.
Think you'll give it another go?
- Indubitably! The brain is willing and the body is adequate to the task. Unfortunately, my spectral disruptor is kaput. Extensive repairs are in order before I can make another attempt.
- That's the spirit.
- I see.
- Sounds like you've had a rough day.