The Long Way Around
Talking to Explorer Camelia, who is at the entrance of the large underwater cavern, you discover that she is worried about Scholar Fryxx, who has locked himself up in a cave behind an Asuran force-field gate he designed and is studying some ancient skeletons. The force field is intended to keep the Risen out, and can be turned off by deactivating a set of six Asuran Data Pads scattered around the cavern.
Camelia has been trying to get the gate open, but the numerous Risen Hands keep on shooting goo at anyone who comes close to them, covering them with a substance which causes the Data Pads not to respond to commands. You will need to deactivate the six Data Pads while avoiding getting hit by the Risen Hands. In case you do get contaminated, you can come back to her to get cleaned up. The contamination shows up as a green skull icon named "Covered in Corruption".
You will have 5 minutes to deactivate the six Data Pads (as the 1st pad will reset in 5 minutes), which opens the gate and allows you to reach Scholar Fryxx and the Grand Chest next to him, earning the achievement.
The cavern entrance is located east of Vesper Bell Waypoint around the center of the triangle made up of three small islands in Terzetto Bay, Straits of Devastation. The entrance can be seen by looking to the South-east at the bottom of the shallow bay.
The cavern is roughly in the form of an L-shaped tunnel which turns left towards the Gate. It is dotted with Risen Hands which shoot a greenish substance which explodes on contact. They are located on the floors, walls and ceiling of the cavern; sometimes hidden behind columns. The six Asuran Data Pads are dispersed throughout the cavern, mostly around floor level, with the first two being high on the left wall of the entrance tunnel.
- After interacting with each data pad, a dialog menu opens, and you must select the first option. It's extremely hard to do this while moving (the dialog window closes if you move away), and it's extremely unlikely that you'll avoid getting hit while standing still to use the menu. The risen hands are indestructible, but the user interface is the real killer.
- You have to actually press Leave after deactivating instead of just swimming away. If it is properly deactivated, the Data Pad can't be interacted with anymore and stays inactive for 5 minutes.
- Mesmers can be used to safely get to difficult data pads. Have them put a portal by the data pad, swim to you and drop the other portal so you aren't tagged with the poison. It'll be the quickest way to actually do it.
- The greenish substance shot by the Risen Hands explodes into an AoE on contact and could end up contaminating you even while hiding behind columns. It is perhaps wisest to keep moving to avoid the slow-moving shots. The damage is negligible.
- The shots by the Hands can be blocked, with aegis for example. Contamination from fish can not be blocked.
- The Risen Hands are immune to damage and have a slow rate of fire.
- It's a good idea to go through the cavern once or twice without worrying about being hit, so as to locate the Data Pads and Hands, devising a plan of approach. There are holes and side passages which can reduce your exposure. Having some friends who will trigger the Hands to shoot them before you safely advance to deactivate the Pads can be a good idea as well.
- Ink Shot is really useful for Pad that is surrounded by dead fish corpse.
- Camelia can remove "Covered in corruption"
- When interacting with the pads, not only must you select the first option but you also must select "Leave" afterwards to fully shut the pad down.