The purpose of the probes was revealed in The Origins of Madness. The probes were used by Scarlet to locate the ley lines in search of Mordremoth, though the vibrations of the probes also accidentally awakened the three-headed wurm in the Bloodtide Coast .
 During The Origins of Madness
- On interaction with a self-destructed probe
- This probe appears to have self-destructed.
- On knockback interaction
- What part of "DO NOT TOUCH" was unclear?
- On defeated interaction
- Tsk, tsk. Let that be a lesson to mind your own beeswax.
- The Energy Probes have a respawn timer of 10 minutes.
- The Energy Probes were introduced with the Fractured release and were originally known as "DO NOT TOUCH" objects that displayed dialogue upon interacting.
- The towers had their dialogues removed with the A Very Merry Wintersday release, and were renamed to Mysterious Probes that no longer displayed dialogue upon interacting.
- Interacting with a Mysterious Probe would knockback the player, and upon interacting ten times in a row the player would be sent to the defeated state.
- The Mysterious Probes were renamed to Energy Probes with the The Origins of Madness release and either gained their current functionality or are self-destructed.