- Account Bound. Although I believe they were soulbound until a recent update. MS 22:45, 2 October 2012 (UTC)
- It counts Obisidian Shard MF acquisition as another component of the recipe, since they can now be forged. --Ventriloquist 10:00, 14 September 2014 (UTC)
- But the recipe has a random output, which was the entire point of adding functionality to suppress a recipe from that query in the first place. —Dr Ishmael 13:03, 14 September 2014 (UTC)
Lost Bandit Chests
Shouldn't this page list that shards are obtainable from Lost Bandit Chests in the Silverwastes? It seems like a glaring omission. 220.127.116.11 08:25, 22 April 2015 (UTC)
What is the best way for non-HoT players to buy Obsidian Shards?
I'm sitting on 8 stacks of Dragonite Ore which is cluttering my slots and is driving me mad. I spent some gold to level my Armorsmithing to 500, but now I realise I still can't convert them to Dragonite Ingots.
I looked at the list of merchants which sell them and it seems my options are severely limited. I don't have most of the currencies required and I don't have access to the HoT ones. I don't do Fractals too so I don't have the Relics. I hardly have any laurels too, and if I were to accumulate more, I would rather use them to gear myself for fractals since that seems like a better long term option, but I would like to avoid doing fractals if I can since I don't enjoy them. I have guild commendations but the damn NPC (among many others) in the guild hall won't talk to me unless I have HoT.
I am sitting on a lot of karma though, since I do a lot of open world stuff, so I tried soloing the Tactician Deathstrider events (I can't remember exactly how these go anymore) and using LFG to get help, but no one joins my party and it seems way too difficult to solo the Balthazar Temple events. I assume that most people are using HoT-based means to get the Shards now since this particular source seems deserted, which is a pity as I have a LOT of karma.
What is the next best way I can use to buy Obsidian Shards? Or am I stuck and have to delete my excess Dragonite Ore? --18.104.22.168 02:54, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
- If you have time to spare, "The easiest way to obtain obsidian shards is by opening Lost Bandit Chests in the Silverwastes" at the top of the acquisition section (in case you missed it). Run around doing the events, and that will give you Bandit Crests along the way. You can then use those crests to buy keys to open the lost bandit chests extra shards (at the cost of 96 copper + 50 crests per shard) if you still need. --BryghtShadow (talk) 03:23, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
- I count this recommendation at least inaccurate. First, you need to obtain some amount of Bandit Crests via different activities in this zone, you need to be lvl 80 in all rares minimum (otherwise you will die in this zone too fast). Next, you need to buy Bandit Skeleton Keys and either get some Silverwastes Shovels through activities or be happy to join a farming squad: such squads are created time to time exclusively for farming these chests. Depending on diligence of the leader, need to have about 15-20 keys, i.e. 75-100 crests per run (one round). And even you almost certainly will get some Obsidian Shards per run, it will be rarely 10 or more. As you may see, this is quite time-consuming activity. So, whether this way is easier of not, you should first try and decide by your own.
- There is another detail, which would be good to be mentioned in the article. This way may be an appropriate source of Shards if you need them for the purposes other than refinement of Piles of Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite Ore and Empyreal Fragments, because you will usually get more these raw materials than the amount of shards needed to refine them. But if you need the shards, for example, to make Mystic Clover, it's OK.
- Finally, the most easier way, at least for me, is to buy them from karma merchant Tactician Deathstrider. At least the karma is a universal currency, which can be obtained in many different ways, and not all of them are hard and very time-consuming. Of course, need to note that Cathedral of Glorious Victory is a contested area and NPCs there are not always accessible, but you can stock up these Shards when it's happened. --22.214.171.124 12:37, 16 April 2016 (UTC)
Fastest method for HoT players
For HoT players, I don't think this is a fast method anymore. I had used all my karma on PSNA maps to get the map bonus rewards as I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to farm events for the items I needed (T6s, some lodestones) to finish another legendary. So I ended up with all the materials and items I needed, except for c. 200 obsidian shards and I had no karma left. I had 36 Silverwaste shovels and picked up at least 1 more whilst in the zone, so 37 attempts minimum. From this, I obtained 18 Obsidian Shards and 1 T6 Ancient Bone. Given it took almost an hour running around the zone locating the chests (there is a really annoying 18 second cooldown on sonar...) I found this neither fun nor time-efficient. In my view, far quicker to go to the new zones and farm Unbound Magic (especially by salvaging Winterberries, Petrified Logs, and the other material I can't recall the name of) which net you around 40-50 unbound magic per item, as it only costs 100 unbound magic + some sundry Gold to get an obsidian shard. In my view this is a) more fun and b) quicker and c) nets better "side benefits" than this Lost Chests method. I wanted rid of the shovels and had no other use for them so it was worth a test but if you need 250 its a long slow grind in my view. I think many of the other comments were written when these zones were better populated (which they're not anymore) and also, the number of shards per chest must've been higher. Rrylia 22:22, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
- Just to update, for HoT players if you farm the new zone events (dailies) and open chests, complete few events, and salvage your petrified wood, eat your winterberries etc - I got enough unbound magic + spent the 30k karma I earned on the Itzel vendor to net about 85 obsidian shards in an hour. Infinitely faster than above but appreciate that's for HoT players only. Rrylia 22:16, 12 March 2017 (UTC)