Sea of Sorrows (book)
- This article is about the novel. For the sea itself, see Sea of Sorrows. For the consumable scavenger hunt reward, see Sea of Sorrows (consumable).
Sea of Sorrows, written by Ree Soesbee, will be the third and final novel to bridge the time between the original game series and Guild Wars 2. The plot will focus on Zhaitan's awakening and the effects it has on Tyria, including the flooding of Lion's Arch. It will begin with the sinking of Lion's Arch while the main character is on a ship heading to Arah, and follows the main character as he meets other races and helps rebuild Lion's Arch for all races. The book will contain clues to help you find the location of twelve plaques honoring the history of Lion's Arch and its founder Cobiah Marriner. You will earn five skill points for completing the scavenger hunt.
The lost kingdom of Orr lies beneath the ocean waves, an entire civilization swallowed by an ancient cataclysm. For centuries, the depths have lain dormant, those ancient secrets lost. Until now. The Elder Dragon Zhaitan has risen. In its wake, the drowned kingdom of Orr is reborn--and another destroyed. The city of Lion's Arch, for generations a cornerstone of civilization in Tyria, is brutally swept beneath the waves, leaving nothing but ruins.
Among the survivors is Cobiah Marriner, a human sailor shipwrecked by the tsunami and stranded at sea. When he is rescued by a ferocious charr, Cobiah knows that he's been plunged into a world forever changed. Now, Zhaitan's undead servants dominate the sea, destroying port after port and slaughtering anything in their path. In the midst of ruin, Cobiah vows to see Lion's Arch rebuilt. Amid the storm of the dragon's rising, Cobiah must become a hero to his crew and an admiral to the pirate fleet, and face the ghosts of his past. Only then will he master the Sea of Sorrows and crush the armada of Orr.
The book was released on June 25th, 2013 in North America and Europe, together with an ingame scavenger hunt.
- As of Gamescom 2011, it was in the first draft and being reviewed. Ree Soesbee reported in an interview Guild Wars Insider that the first draft was finished at the end of October and as of January was being reviewed and edited. On June 20th, 2013 the release date was revealed on the Sky Pirates of Tyria release page.
- ^ Bringing the World of Tyria to Life - GW2 Q&A with Ree Soesbee (Gamescom 2011), YouTube
- ^ a b Guild Wars Insider Interview with Ree Soesbee, Guild Wars Insider
- ^ a b Sky Pirates of Tyria (June 25, 2013), Official Guild Wars 2 release page
- ^ Podcast interview with Jeff Grubb, Guild Wars Insider