On Guild Wars 2‘s fifth anniversary—and with Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire™ just around the corner—we’re pleased to announce the Guild Wars 2 Design-a-Weapon Contest! If you’ve ever dreamed up the perfect weapon for your character, here’s your chance to show us your concept and craft your Tyrian legacy.
— Official site
The Design-a-Weapon Contest was the first design-a-weapon contest featured in Guild Wars 2. The closing date for the contest was October 8, 2017 11:59 PM Pacific Time (UTC−7).
The three winning designs were announced on December 1, 2017, and were implemented into the game in the August 7, 2018 game update.
Out of the 20 designs that made it to the final round, three were chosen and implemented into the game as Favor of the Colossus, Eclipse and Scion's Claw.
This contest is over. The information below has been hidden in a collapsible box to clarify this.
Click on the "[Show]" button to the right to show the historical contest information.
- See here for a full, detailed list of rules and eligible countries.
Submissions must be submitted between the dates of August 28, 2017 at 9:00 am Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) and October 8, 2017 at 11:59 pm PDT. Designs that have been created to the specifications listed below must be submitted and uploaded to the official submission website.
- Design must be Guild Wars 2 themed
- You may not submit more than 3 Designs
- Designs may NOT contain any content that:
- is not Guild Wars 2 themed
- is sexually explicit or suggestive; unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, profane or pornographic, contains nudity;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the forgoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message;
- is obscene or offensive; endorses any form of hate or hate group;
- appears to duplicate any other submitted Designs
- contains the name, trademarks, logos, or images for any of Sponsor's competitors or their products or services;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about Sponsors or their products or services, other people, or companies
- contains any personal identification, such as license plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses
- contains copyrighted materials owned by others, without permission, to the extent permission is necessary
- contains materials embodying names, likenesses, voices or other indicia identifying any person, such as celebrities, public, or private figures, living or dead, without permission;
- contains look-alikes of celebrities, public or private figures, living or dead;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which the sponsors would associate, in good faith.
- violates any law.
- File naming
- File name must consist of the Contestant's in-game display name without numbers or spaces
- Example: "RytlockBrimstone.1234" becomes "RytlockBrimstone.PSD".
- If the Contestant does not have a Guild Wars 2 account, Contestant would name the file using their first name and surname.
- If submitting more than one Design, the name should contain the words "Second" or "Third"
- Example: RytlockBrimstoneSecond.PSD
- Image format and specifications
- Files must be uploaded in .PSD, .PNG, or .JPG format
- Image format must be of A4 size minimum
- Resolution must be suitable for print, and no less than 300 dpi.
- Utilize the template provided and respect the marked red, yellow, and green lines.
- Blue lines are only suggested guidelines. See main Contest Rules link for further explanation.
- Design background must be either transparent, black, or white.
- Image must contain the following information in one of its corners:
- The complete Contestant In-game display name or his first name and surname
- Example: RytlockBrimstone.1234 or John Smith
- e-mail address where the Contestant may be contacted
- Country of origin. See main rules document above for full list of eligible countries.
- Example: "Rytlock Brimstone.1234, Rytlock@arena.net, USA."
- Design(s) cannot
- Be submitted using a .ZIP file. These will be disqualified.
- Be black and white only, nor can it be lineart only. Designs submitted must be fully colored concept arts.
- Display any magical effect of the level one would expect of a Legendary Weapon. Light and discreet effects such as ones displayed by non-legendary weapons are accepted.
- Be that of an underwater weapon.
1 Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): US$264,00.
2 Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): US$185,00.
3 Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): US$180,00.
4 Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): US$165,00.
5 Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): US$45,00.
6 Approximate Retail Value ("ARV"): US$20,00.