From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
AccessThe currency exchange is accessed from the second tab ( ) in the Black Lion Trading Company panel. The panel is accessed clicking the icon in the toolbar or the hotkey (default ).
The initial interface panel displays standard exchange amounts and how many coins or gems are required for purchase. Click onnext to the desired transaction to complete the purchase.
- Gold exchanges include intervals of 1, 10, 50, 100, 250, and custom
- Gem exchanges include intervals of 400, 800, 1200, 2000, and custom
- Exchange rates are determined by supply and demand from players. Since supply and demand affects the rate, the ratio can shift rapidly depending on market conditions, especially when the Gem Store adds new items.
- The exchange has a supply of both Gems and Gold. When you trade to the exchange you influence the supply of each. The exchange rate is relative to current supply of each. The price changes geometrically as one pool empties creating a better exchange rate for the low supplied currency. The supplies are contained entirely within the exchange.
- Due to currency exchange inflation, the value of purchased gems has increased over time. Conversely, the value of in-game gold used to purchase items in the Gem Store has decreased.
- Transaction fee is a 15% fee for trading gems for gold or vice-versa. For example, exchanging 1 gives 85 worth of gems while reselling those gems returns only around 72 25 , resulting in a net loss of roughly 28%.
- Price trends for the last five days were displayed until the update to the exchange interface.
- Players are limited to exchanging 9,999 or 999 in any single transaction.
- To help combat botting and scams, there is a delay of 72 hours after creating a new account before currency can be exchanged.
- Gems to gold exchange is available for free accounts but gold to gems exchange is unavailable.
- The currency supply pool used to determine the exchange rate is limited to the North American servers. Due to incompatibilities, separate pools are maintained on the European and Chinese servers. [verification requested]