From my observations, it causes 5 stacks of Vulnerability for about 5 seconds. Can anyone confirm? And how long does it take and what are the requirements for opening strike to reset, without the Grandmaster trait.22.214.171.124 14:48, 29 August 2012 (UTC)
- I can confirm 5 stacks, uncertain about the duration or the conditions for refreshing. 14:59, 29 August 2012 (UTC)
- You have to leave combat for it to reset. —Dr Ishmael 15:52, 29 August 2012 (UTC)
- But what is considered, "leaving combat?" X Distance away? X amount of time taking/dealing no damage?126.96.36.199 05:39, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
- When you are in combat, there is a yellow glow around your skillbar and you can't change your skills. The glow disappears when you leave combat. —Dr Ishmael 06:03, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
- Did some testing, it takes about 3~4s after killing aggroed enemies to regain opening strike. Not sure how to measure distance for when your kiting a mob though, since weapon skills max out at about 1200 range, 1500 with Eagle Eye. Apparently compass radius is 2500. Will do further research later today.188.8.131.52 15:46, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
Also, should any of this be added as note(s) to the main page?184.108.40.206 15:37, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
- Back again, dodging attacks and not taking damage while within aggro range of activated enemies still counts as being in combat. From my rough estimates, you have to be just over 3 barrages away, or about 3600, for an enemy to break aggro and regain opening strike. Any confirmations? As a reference, if this is correct, combined with the Eagle Eye trait, it should be about two attacks away.220.127.116.11 15:46, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
- This is general game mechanics, there's no need to note it on this specific trait. —Dr Ishmael 15:49, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
Not Stacking With Other Vulnerability
In my experience, if your opening attack is one that causes vulnerability (such as the longbow's Hunter's Shot or the feline pet's Slash), you will get the vulnerability from the skill but not from Opening Strike. Should this be listed as a bug? 18.104.22.168 17:00, 5 September 2012 (UTC)
Not Triggering Half of the Time
Is it just me, or does the vulnerability not trigger with 100% consistency? At first I thought, like the post before mine, that it wouldn't stack with other sources of vulnerability, however, it also stopped working for other attacks as well, even the basic slot 1 skill.
I did some testing using the Shortbow and the Greatsword and these are my general results: Shortbow 1 - Triggers most of the time 2 - Does not trigger 3 - Does not trigger 4 - Triggers some of the time 5 - Triggers some of the time
Greatsword 1 - Triggers most of the time 2 - Triggers some of the time 3 - Does not trigger 4 - Does not trigger 5 - Does not trigger
Does anyone else have anything to add that might shed some light on this? Also, If you don't have alpha training, and your pet attacks before you, do you lose the opening strike?
- It doesn't even trigger vulnerability at all for me or my pet regardless of weapon used. ShinraGuardian 21:22, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
In testing with bows, I've determined it only triggers %100 of the time when you are in close proximity to a mob. Ie: Almost right next to the mob. Back up to a reasonable range that you would shoot from, and it wont trigger %100 of the time. You can also get it to stack/refresh with other vulnerability. Open with a single white damage strike from your bow with said ability active (at close range), apply "Hunters shot", if you are using "Alpha Training" send your pet in after the previous two ability's, and to take it one step further, if you are using cat, wait for your cat to stack another/refresh. I would love to see the range fixed on this.
- It seems to work reliably on critters, at least... >_> Vili 点 10:34, 14 September 2012 (UTC)
- After having obtained the Precise Strike trait I can say that the critical effect always seems to function regardless of whether or not the vulnerability works. Remorseless however seems to have the same difficulties as the opening strike gained from leaving combat. 22.214.171.124 16:18, 15 September 2012 (UTC)
I ran a couple of tests on it just now only used the longbow for this. 1. It will apply if you still have the buff and your pet is already fighting 2. Any shot will spend the buff, whether the debuff is applied on the target or not 3. It only seems to trigger on the 1 attack of the longbow 4. There is a maximum range, a few paces more than "point blank shot" the 600 yard knockback ability with longbow
Question on Notes
Good work at whoever added on the notes. However, a two things: I think the max range is actually 900 since I have gotten it to trigger while using an axe. Secondly, the last sentence is not really clear, at least to me. I'm not really sure what it's saying.126.96.36.199 14:54, 3 October 2012 (UTC)
- I agree, that last sentence is just silly. I think this skill may very well just be bugged... C'mon anet. --Ying xiong 04:08, 15 October 2012 (UTC)