Black Lion Chest
Black Lion Chest
Contains up to four items including a seasonal item, a convenience item, and a progression item. Exclusive skins not available anywhere else can be found inside.
— In-game description
A Black Lion Chest is a container that, when used with a Black Lion Chest Key, usually yields three items. Many items within are also available in the Gem Store, though some rare items are exclusive to the chest, and a good portion of the items are account bound. Players are able to view the item(s) contained in a Black Lion Chest by right clicking on the Chest and selecting the Preview option.
When activated, a Black Lion Chest window opens that allows the player to combine a chest and a key.
- Rare drop from any open world foe.
Each Black Lion Chest contains three common items: a seasonal item (which is the first item listed below), one convenience item and one account progression item. In addition there is a chance at an uncommon, rare or super rare item which will appear as an additional fourth drop.
- Dab of Destabilized Ectoplasm
- Bank Access Express
- Trading Post Express
- Merchant Express
- Teleport to Friend
- Tome of Knowledge
- Unidentified Dye
- Transmutation Charge
- Black Lion Claim Ticket Scrap
- Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket
- Toy Miniature Egg
- Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock
- Revive Orb
- Black Lion Claim Ticket
- Self-Style Hair Kit
- Total Makeover Kit
- Lion's Arch Survivors Dye Kit
- Metabolic Primer (3)
- Elemental Sword
- Endless Mystery Tonic[verification requested]
- Ancient Wood Logging Node
- Hard Wood Logging Node
- Permanent Cow Finisher
- Permanent Guild Flag Finisher
- Glittering Axe Skin
- Glittering Dagger Skin
- Glittering Mace Skin
- Glittering Pistol Skin
- Glittering Scepter Skin
- Glittering Sword Skin
- Glittering Focus Skin
- Glittering Shield Skin
- Glittering Torch Skin
- Glittering Warhorn Skin
- Glittering Greatsword Skin
- Glittering Hammer Skin
- Glittering Longbow Skin
- Glittering Rifle Skin
- Glittering Short Bow Skin
- Glittering Staff Skin
Super rare drops
- Endless Repair Contract
- Permanent Hair Stylist Contract
- Permanent Bank Access Contract
- Permanent Black Lion Merchant Contract
- Permanent Trading Post Express Contract
- Spectral Axe Skin
- Spectral Dagger Skin
- Spectral Mace Skin
- Spectral Pistol Skin
- Spectral Scepter Skin
- Spectral Sword Skin
- Spectral Focus Skin
- Spectral Shield Skin
- Spectral Torch Skin
- Spectral Warhorn Skin
- Spectral Greatsword Skin
- Spectral Hammer Skin
- Spectral Longbow Skin
- Spectral Rifle Skin
- Spectral Short Bow Skin
- Spectral Staff Skin
- ^ a b c d e f This item can appear in the second slot.
- ^ a b c d e f This item can appear in the third slot.
- For all the items that are not currently available from this container, see Black Lion Chest/historical.
The various appearance of the Black Lion Chest window.
Appearance at the release of A Crack in the Ice.
- Drop rate research can be viewed here.
- Opening a chest previously yielded you with 1 , up until the 21 January 2014 update.
- If the chest would have granted you a Wardrobe Unlock account-bound upgrade you already possess you will be granted Black Lion Keys instead; as well as being prompted with the red message 'Duplicate, account-bound unlock detected. Item has been replaced with free keys.'
- Until the update on November 1, 2016, three non-seasonal items (such as Trick or Treat Bag or Lucky Envelopes) were guaranteed.
- Chest drop tables were often altered during major or seasonal releases, either by adding release-specific categories to the three drop spread or guaranteeing additional items on top of the existing drops.
- The window now shows the current seasonal item as well as the chest sometimes being a different color. Previously it was just a grey color with no other decorations.
- The contents were first updated in the 25 September 2012 update, which added additional items and replaced random tonics with Mystery Tonics and its endless version.
- Self-Style Hair Kit and Total Makeover Kit were added as rare drops in the 3 December 2012 update.
- Prior to the June 3, 2014 update, chests were split into locked and unlocked items. Using a key converted the former into the latter which served as a container.
- Prior to the February 18, 2014 update, unlocked chests were soulbound on acquire. This patch saw this item made account bound at the request of players.
- The Permanent Hair Stylist Contract was added on 29 July 2014.
- Tradeable permanent finishers were added in the 29 September 2015 update. This patch also removed Metabolic Primer, Utility Primer, Large Guild Discovery, and Boost Enchantment Powder from the drop tables. The Metabolic Primer was re-introduced in the March 28, 2017 update as an Uncommon drop.