I started using Steal on random foes and I've noticed that the Toxic Oozes around Venlin Vale in Brisban Wildlands giving me a lot of different Stolen Skills. From Skull Fear to Consume Ectoplasm. I was wondering if this might be a mistake in the coding or if Oozes can indeed give you any Stolen Skill. Can anyone confirm this? DantonDamnark 04:47, 9 September 2012 (UTC)
I think part of the reason this page has seen so few edits since the game was released is the complexity of the table. I sure don't feel like editing it, alphabetizing the skills and creatures, counting how many there are and changing the rowspan, checking which skills are reused names, which skills have icons. It looks nice, but it's a pain to edit for something with so much data.
It's also going to have to be greatly simplified or split up into species pages or something eventually. It's going to be quite unwieldy with hundreds of NPCs with 1-3 skills each. Manifold 18:55, 22 September 2012 (UTC)
- I agree that it will be unwieldy, but I plan to update with my findings as I go so that as much info is available as possible. One thing I think should be done right away is a separate page for stolen skills by profession as they are quite different subjects. Obviously there is the overlap of the actual skills stolen, but someone looking into pvp doesn't want to sift through all of the PvE creatures just to see what they can get from a Necro. I don't have all of the skills verified, but I'll at least get the page going. Also, I've added skill icons for everything, as well as a page for mace head crack, which wasn't included before. relt 01:49, 24 September 2012 (UTC)
- Why is that a separate page? All stolen skills should be on the same page, just make separate tables for PvE and PvP. Said page should be at List of stolen skills, not here as a subpage of Steal. Also, it should probably be noted that the thief actually steals a bundle that gives the skill, not the skill itself. E.g. when stealing from a moa, a thief gets a bundle of Feathers that give the skill Blinding Tuft. —Dr Ishmael 02:52, 24 September 2012 (UTC)
- Being new to wiki editing, I'm still getting used to the best way to organize things. Since there was only a category page for stolen skills, I made a page with the stolen skills in a table for easy referencing. Should that page be removed and the table moved onto the steal page? Currently, "list of stolen skills" more aligns with the list of the x number of possible skills that can be stolen, but if that were simply placed on the steal page it would be an intuitive move to combine the "stolen skills by xxx" onto one page. relt 16:01, 24 September 2012 (UTC)
The Healing Seed here is wrong
It redirects you to the Sylvari skill, when the one you steal works differently (it even counts as Water Combo Field) and has a different icon and animation than that skill. Lokheit 07:26, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
stealing in pvp underwater
i noticed in wvw that guardians gave me a skill that isnt even listed here, nor have i ever seen that skill anywhere else. i have 800+ hours on my thief and i've only gotten this skill twice so far, and both times from a guardian. i unfortunately dont remember what it did exactly but i think it was a slowdown/immobilize net of some kind (not like any other skill i've encountered or used in the game). i dont really have the resources to test this out, but maybe someone else can confirm steals from all 8 professions while underwater? 188.8.131.52 15:30, 1 March 2013 (UTC)
- Throw Chain - cant remember exact name, but icon was just a chain. immobilizes them then cripples them after the immobilize is gone. friggin epic 184.108.40.206 18:51, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
Stealing from thieves
According to Making Of book, stealing from a thief can produce any stolen skill. I'm fairly sure that a warrior can be stolen at least for an axe or the rifle, and I'm pretty sure I've stolen random stuff from other thieves as well. Mediggo 18:08, 27 April 2013 (UTC)
- I thought I remembered a game update where they increased the number of possible stolen skills in PvP from 1 to 3 per profession, but I can't seem to find it in our game updates archives. —Dr Ishmael 19:08, 27 April 2013 (UTC)
Feedback 5 September 2016
Stolen by creature is a mess
This page, while "organized" is more than a bit daunting and cumbersome to work through. I think it would be better to organize based on creature families, not individual creatures.
- Family: Aetherblade - list all possible stolen skills for Aetherblade-type creatures, regardless of subclass differences.
- Family: Drake - ditto
- Family: Mordrem - ditto
- Family: Pirates - ditto
Work may have to be done to define higher-tier family classes (For example, Aetherblade could possibly fall under the Pirate classification, as every single one allows Drink to be stolen from them. Surely it would be easier to list stolen skills of families than of each individual creature.
Regardless on if this idea is used, this page should either be scrapped or renovated to not be an attempt at cataloging every mob in the game.
- Not knowing the existence of this page until now, I can say I wouldn't have been looking for it when I was filling in stolen skills elsewhere. Maintaining the information in two places is a losing proposition. That said, a proper listing with every monster in the game would make for one ugly page. Do we really need this? SarielV 15:26, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
- The only use I can see is that it's true that certain mob families have their own recurring stolen skills, just as professions have theirs. For example, ghosts almost always have fear or ectoplasm. Pirates/aetherblade always have drink. Poisonous mobs (like hylek or spiders) tend to have gunk or exploding venom sacks. Whether they deserve their own page or whether it should just be mentioned in the steal page that families exist is a good question, I think. --Rain Spell (talk) 20:34, 24 April 2017 (UTC)