- Bay of Elon
(Memory of Old Lion's Arch)
Green Alpine Garrison
(Green Alpine Borderlands)
(Red Desert Borderlands)
Blue Alpine Garrison
(Blue Alpine Borderlands)
Click to enlarge.
The Mystic Forge upgrades equipment, raises the tier of crafting materials, and produces precursor and legendary weapons. The forge can be accessed from major hubs throughout Tyria.
— Level 69 rewards.
The Mystic Forge is a crafting station with access points in various locations. Inside is the realm of the djinn Zommoros who hails from Elona. His attendant, Miyani, found next to the Mystic Forge in Lion's Arch, provides information about Zommoros and sells recipes and items used in the forge. It has an important function in the game economy as a gold sink.
The Mystic Forge has wide variety of recipes and is best known for its ability to upgrade the rarity of equipment, promote crafting materials, and create legendary weapons; in particular, it is a popular source of crafting precursor weapons.
Recipe lists have been divided into the following subpages:
- Equipment: Exotic and legendary weapons, trinkets, backpieces and infusions.
- Material Promotion: Crafting material promotion.
- Miscellaneous: Miniatures and tonics.
- Crystal Oasis
- Divinity's Reach
- Gendarran Fields
- Lion's Arch
- Armistice Bastion (Only accessible with an Armistice Bastion Pass)
- Heart of the Mists
- Mistlock Sanctuary (Only accessible with a Mistlock Sanctuary Passkey)
- World versus World
The Mystic Forge can be used to combine four items of equipment into one item of equal or higher quality. The mechanics of item combination depends on what kind of items are being combined. There is a roughly 20% chance of receiving an item of higher quality or tier.
Four pieces of equipment of the same quality can be combined in the forge. The input can be weapons, armor, trinkets, or any combination thereof (except for exotic gear where all 4 items must be of the same type). The output will be as specific as the input is. For example, if only weapons are used, the result is always a weapon. Similarly, starting with four medium helmets guarantees ending up with a medium helmet. In addition, the output equipment will be 3-12 levels higher than the average of the levels of the four pieces of input equipment, except for exotic weapons or armor averaging L75 or better, in which case there is a chance of ending up with L75-80 weapons or armor respectively. There is also a roughly 20% chance of receiving a higher quality item. Transforming equipment into a higher tier only works for Rare (yellow) and below. Exotic equipment (orange) and above do not get transformed into higher tier equipment. There is also a chance of producing soul-bound equipment sold by Karma Merchants.
Any four universal upgrades of the same rarity can be combined in the Mystic Forge, regardless of item tier; the average of the tiers affects the output, for example three tier 3 items and one tier 2 item will most likely return a tier 3 item. When combined the mystic forge will return upgrades of the same tier, with a 20% chance of returning upgrades of the next higher tier. Regardless of the input, the chance of receiving a medal or a gemstone is roughly equal. The chance of receiving a doubloon with any type of input is approximately 5%.
Sigils and runes
You use the forge to combine four runes or four sigils of the same rarity (either all masterwork, or all rare); it does not accept a mixture of the two types. Combining runes has a chance of returning account bound runes of the types that are found in Dungeons, for example, Superior Rune of the Monk. Superior runes and sigils cannot be combined in the mystic forge at all, but are used in some specific recipes, such as gifts.
You can combine 10 Piles of Lucent Crystal, a Symbol of Control, a Symbol of Enhancement and a Symbol of Pain to receive a random superior sigil, or 10 Piles of Lucent Crystal, a Charm of Brilliance, a Charm of Potence and a Charm of Skill to receive a random superior rune.
For a possible list of sigils and runes that can be output by the mystic forge, see Mystic Forge/Sigils and Runes.
- Primary article: /Material Promotion
The mystic forge can be used to promote crafting materials to a higher tier using ingredients depending on the target tier.
Common crafting materials
Common crafting materials are promoted using piles of dust and Philosopher's Stones. The promotion yields 40 to 200 for tiers 2-5 and 10 to 40 for tier 6. Due to irregularities in the tier structure for ores and ingots, the recipe will vary from the generic formula and the recipe on the main article should be inspected before attempting. The generic formulas are as follows:
|Raw||Tier n materials||250 x tier n-1 materials||1 x tier n material||5 x tier n dust||n-1 x philosopher's stones|
|Refined||Tier n materials||250 x tier n-1 materials||1 x tier n material||5 x tier n dust||2(n-1) x philosopher's stones|
Fine crafting materials
|Tier n materials||50 x tier n-1 materials||1 x tier n material||5 x tier n dust||n-1 x philosopher's stones|
Piles of dust
|Tier n dust||250 x tier n-1 dust||1 x tier n dust||n-1 x Mystic Crystals||n-1 x philosopher's stones|
Charms and symbols
3 symbols and a Philosopher's Stone forge a random symbol. 3 charms and a Philosopher's Stone forge a random charm.
Rare crafting materials
Rare crafting materials are promoted using two different recipes. The first combines two of a lower tier into one of a higher tier. The second combines multiple of a lower tier into half the amount of a higher tier. The generic recipes are as follows:
|Two to One||Tier n material||2 x tier n-1 materials||1 x tier n dust||1 x Bottle of Elonian Wine||1 x Mystic Crystal|
|Multiple||6-n Tier n materials||12-2n x tier n-1 materials||1 x tier n dust||1 x Mystic Binding Agent||1 x Mystic Crystal|
Ascended crafting materials
Unlike other crafting materials, Ascended materials from the Fractals of the Mists can be both promoted and demoted.
|Shard of Crystallized Mists Essence||Ascended|
|Glob of Coagulated Mists Essence||Ascended|
Salvage kits used in recipes must have their full number of uses remaining.
|Glob of Coagulated Mists Essence (x3)||Ascended|
|Vial of Condensed Mists Essence (x3)||Ascended|
Mystic Clovers are a component of the Gift of Fortune, Mystic Tribute, Gift of Prosperity, Gift of Competitive Prosperity and Gift of War Prosperity, which are used to craft legendary equipment. Both recipes have a 33% chance to yield Mystic Clovers, otherwise they will yield tier 6 materials and other items.
|Mystic Clover (x10)||Legendary|
Equipment and upgrade components
- Primary article: Mystic Forge/Equipment
Ascended equipment prefix change
Ascended quality weapons and armor can be replaced with similar items that include different attribute bonuses. A new ascended item is generated in this process and the old item is destroyed, along with any skin transmutation and any upgrade components slotted in it. The later of which may be removed by means of an Upgrade Extractor or similar items beforehand.
- Note: Intact Mosaic can be used instead of the Insignia/Inscription to craft ascended Grieving equipment
- Primary article: Gift
Gifts are Mystic Forge materials used for crafting legendary and other special weapons.
|Recipe: Box / Satchel of armor|
|Recipe: Tray / Feast of food|
- The amount of ingredients required for recipe sheets depends on the rating of the item. For example, for a chef rating 200 recipe sheet you need 9 Bottles of Elonian Wine, 12 Mystic Crystals and 26 Mystic Coins. See Armor in bulk and Feast (food) for the precise amounts.
- Boxes/satchels of armor grant the entire set of armor. They cost the same amount of materials to create as crafting the pieces individually would.
- Trays/feasts of food are items that, when placed in the world, grant a food buff to all who interact with them. They cost 10 pieces of the food to craft and provide bonuses that last twice as long as the individual pieces of food.
Halloween recipe sheets
|Recipe: Gift of the Moon||Exotic|
|Recipe: Gift of Souls||Exotic|
|Recipe: Gift of Spiders||Exotic|
Siege weapon blueprints
|Superior Arrow Cart Blueprints||Basic|
|Superior Ballista Blueprints||Basic|
|Superior Catapult Blueprints||Basic|
|Superior Flame Ram Blueprints||Basic|
|Superior Trebuchet Blueprints||Basic|
|Omega Siege Golem Blueprints||Basic|
Salvage kits used in recipes must have their full number of uses remaining.
|Mystic Salvage Kit||Rare|
- Primary article: Mystic Forge/Miscellaneous#Miniatures
Certain miniatures are exclusive to the Mystic Forge.
- Primary article: Mystic Forge/Miscellaneous#Tonics
Tonics for specific creatures and some endless tonics can be made in the Mystic Forge.
- Primary article: Mystic Forge/Miscellaneous#Removed recipes
Periodically, temporary recipes are introduced to the game to help reduce oversupply of items from the economy. These recipes are removed from the game when they are no longer needed.
- Variations in Lion's Arch
- Mystic Forges outside of Lion's Arch
- As of the 2022-10-18 game update, items in your account bank are visible and available for use in the Mystic Forge interface.
- These items are marked with a bag icon in the list.
- The Mystic Forge (and its associated Mystic Plaza point of interest) was originally located in the center of Trader's Forum in Lion's Arch.
- During the Escape from Lion's Arch, the forge was moved to Vigil Keep in Gendarran Fields, along with most other services from Lion's Arch.
- During the Festival of the Four Winds 2014, services were returned to Lion's Arch, but in new locations; the forge was relocated to the Western Ward, along with its related POI.
- When Lion's Arch was rebuilt in 2015, the Mystic Forge was moved to its current location in the Trader's Forum.
- A common nickname for the forge is "Mystic Toilet," from the phrase "flushing one's money down the toilet" — the forge's random results quite often produce an item of lesser value than the input items, thus making players feel like they have wasted their money.
- Stepping into the Mystic Forge in Lion's Arch temporarily changes your character to appear as the Thaumanova Anomaly. Getting closer to the center will apply the Petrified effect, before kicking you out. This effect can be countered by using stability, allowing the player to stay inside the Mystic Forge for longer than usual.
- During the seasonal Halloween event, the Mystic Forge is replaced by a giant cauldron. Characters who enter it (or are thrown in by the Mad King) are temporarily transformed into random Halloween creatures with Costume Brawl skills.
- The Mythwright Gambit raid takes place within the Mystic Forge.